Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    Furnished Studios from £275 pw. Not that bad considering.
    I'm being tempted by ~£200-£250 studios that idle browsing's turned up, even though they'd take up more than my accomodation allowance (and the per-week rent would be getting close to the per month paid for uni ).

On the upside, I figure being within 5 minutes of work by foot, not having to deal with the tube and having a little bit of luxury would be very welcome when working banking hours.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by asht)
    I'm being tempted by ~£200-£250 studios that idle browsing's turned up, even though they'd take up more than my accomodation allowance (and the per-week rent would be getting close to the per month paid for uni ).

On the upside, I figure being within 5 minutes of work by foot, not having to deal with the tube and having a little bit of luxury would be very welcome when working banking hours.
    Not having to use the tube probably saves you about 25 quid a week anyway, not to mention the extra forty minutes or so in bed in the morning which frankly is priceless, especially after a few weeks of 60+ hours a week. I was working longish weeks last summer (6.30am starts), and even a 15 minute tube ride from Mayfair to Liverpool Street began to drain me toward the end...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    Which confirms my point that the average intern's salary won't be £900 per week, doesn't it? Or isn't numeracy a necessary skill in banking now?
    Your point, as you originally put it on page 2, was
    Very few will get £900 gross. £750 would be pretty good.
    followed up by
    I think it highly unlikely that a gross salary of more than £50,000 pro rata is on offer in many places for student placements.

Now, 50% / all front office interns at PorcineAviation's list of banks + a at least two that I can think of off of the top of my head is hardly very few. And it is many places in the context of how many places actually offer investment banking internships to students.

++ reiteration of loggins' point about needing a mod who knows about IB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PorcineAviation)
    I imagine it's upsetting when in spite of being a moderator people pay you no heed, and instead listen to us. I mean, we're not nearly as well qualified with 'reputation' or a coloured username, we even have warning points!

:o: I do have a coloured username, but I'm not a moderator...

Just to keep this post on topic so I don't get warned for spamming... yup TP you're right, there are 7/8 or so banks that I can think of that fit this bill. Even the low end earning interns make a tidy sum, so I'm sure if you worked out the overall average it would be in line with what we've been saying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakezg)
    This is the dream :

http://www.panpeninsula.com/swf/pp_main.swf
    living in canary wharf sucks, it is like you never leave work and are stuck in a bubble. not to mention you are surrounded by some of the most deprived areas in the uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    living in canary wharf sucks, it is like you never leave work and are stuck in a bubble. not to mention you are surrounded by some of the most deprived areas in the uk
    I disagree with this mostly, I find Canary Wharf so much cleaner and less stressful than the rest of London. I know it's where work happens, but in the evening it's pretty chilled out. If you're not a party animal I really don't see the issue with living in CW. I lived in Canada Water in summer 2008 and preferred it a LOT more than when i lived in the City in 2009.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)

Now, 50% / all front office interns at PorcineAviation's list of banks + a at least two that I can think of off of the top of my head is hardly very few.
    In your excitement, it may have escaped your notice that nobody has mentioned a bank that is paying a salary of £50,000 pro rata (which is £961 per week).

ReputationRep:
    In your excitement, it may have escaped your notice that nobody has mentioned a bank that is paying a salary of £50,000 pro rata (which is £961 per week).
    Did you just totally ignore the post on page 2 of this thread that stated JPM's offering of £42k pro rata +£1k living allowance for the internship period? Not quite £50,000 (I'm not sure where you're getting this figure from, since having looked through the thread I've seen nobody other than you reference it), but it still works out in excess of £900 per week. No apology needed.

ReputationRep:
    I just assumed that your 50k a year comment (which came out of nowhere) had some relevance to our debate.

hmm maybe you should warn yourself for spamming then. or do I not understand hte points system here yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DerPumuckl)
    What does that mean? Could you elaborate?
    NIC = National Insurance Contribution. On PAYE (Pay As You Earn) it gets deducted from your salary at the same time as Income Tax.

Also, as far as South London goes, Denmark Hill is not bad. There are certainly worse places to live south-of-the-river. It has reasonable transport connections into the city, both by bus and train. (The Tube network doesn't cover SE London.) Depending on time of day, figure something like 30-45 minutes commute?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loggins)
    I disagree with this mostly, I find Canary Wharf so much cleaner and less stressful than the rest of London. I know it's where work happens, but in the evening it's pretty chilled out. If you're not a party animal I really don't see the issue with living in CW. I lived in Canada Water in summer 2008 and preferred it a LOT more than when i lived in the City in 2009.
    it is absolutely cleaner than the rest of London, but you are living in a guarded compound that is so disconnected from the rest of London.

living within zone 1 gives you immediate access to everything you could want...canary wharf gives you access to work, a cinema, and a shopping mall.

i am by no means a party animal, but even getting a pint at a non chain pub is difficult if you live out canary wharf way unless you are willing to risk your life and go into neighboring Poplar or Limehouse. there is almost nothing to do within a feasible walking distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    it is absolutely cleaner than the rest of London, but you are living in a guarded compound that is so disconnected from the rest of London.

living within zone 1 gives you immediate access to everything you could want...canary wharf gives you access to work, a cinema, and a shopping mall.

i am by no means a party animal, but even getting a pint at a non chain pub is difficult if you live out canary wharf way unless you are willing to risk your life and go into neighboring Poplar or Limehouse. there is almost nothing to do within a feasible walking distance.
    I totally understand all the reasons people might dislike Canary Wharf, they just don't really apply to me. Proximity to work, extra time in bed in the mornings and a clean, safe environment outweigh the negatives as far as I'm concerned. I just find the City so damn busy and loud, haha :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)

Once again... Limehouse is definitely not a bad area. Better than most Zone 1-2 "living" areas IMO (the basin is awesome, area near the river is pretty good etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)

Absolutely... canary wharf has no soul. walking round the city you can find a new pub tucked away in every corner and smell millenia of history in the air... canary wharf is just a pile of concrete and steel surrounded by the huge open prison that is east london. i would never want to live out there...

ReputationRep:
    If someone is looking for somewhere bloody cheap, King College Student accomodation on Champion Hill is 20 quid a night.

ReputationRep:
    To work: Canary Wharf
    To play/relax: City (the trappings of Central London, mainly)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Once again... Limehouse is definitely not a bad area. Better than most Zone 1-2 "living" areas IMO (the basin is awesome, area near the river is pretty good etc)
    it certainly has more history than CW and looks more interesting (the basin is cool, I will give you that), but you are still surrounded by hugely deprived areas and have a fraction of the amenities you get if you live in zone 1. from where I live in zone 1 I can walk to selfridges, regents park, the City, etc all in about 15 min. give me marylebone or bloomsbury over anywhere in east london any day. it strikes me that people who live out by CW never went to Unis in London and don't understand how amazing it is to live centrally :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    it certainly has more history than CW and looks more interesting (the basin is cool, I will give you that), but you are still surrounded by hugely deprived areas and have a fraction of the amenities you get if you live in zone 1. from where I live in zone 1 I can walk to selfridges, regents park, the City, etc all in about 15 min. give me marylebone or bloomsbury over anywhere in east london any day. it strikes me that people who live out by CW never went to Unis in London and don't understand how amazing it is to live centrally :confused:
    I agree. All about Zone 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by awm55)
    I go to uni here and live in a fairly central location (think EC1, N1 border). I'm working for a year now and to be honest, except on weekends, I never go shopping, I never go to a park. The only real advantage Central London has is that I can go jogging at midnight without being as scared as I would be in East London. Selfridges is not an amenity, it's something you go to maybe once a month (personally, I hate the place). A supermarket is an amenity, a restaurant is an amenity etc. and Limehouse isn't really missing much of that. Though I'll admit you do have to walk a bit more than you do in some central London areas, you have less restaurants.

And it's not just the basin that's nice - the riverside is also very quaint, there are new developments along the canals which are nice and honestly there are less "council flat dwellers" than in Angel (for instance). Yeah, you get the occasional group of kids with that ridiculous hairstyle where the sides are shaved but the top is not from Mile End but on the whole it's definitely not bad.

ReputationRep:
    What about Greenwich?

When I went for my interview I stayed in a hotel there, the DLR trip to Canary Wharf takes 10 minutes maximum and considering the early starts that seems very convenient, plus I'm assuming it'll be cheaper to live there?

I thought that whatever I saved on rent could be spent on cabs home on those rare occasions when we'll be able to go out at night..

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.