Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When talking about top continental universities, usually people consider Bocconi one of these.

I studied there three years and I'm currently enrolled in their MSc Finance. So I would like to shed some light on this program, particularly because there've been some recent changes.
    I hope this will be useful for potential applicants

WHY GO?

- You want to work in IBD: This is the strongest field and the alumni network is impressive. If you are a good candidate and prepare accurately your apps, you'll have an interview with practically every BB. There are people who prepared 3-4 messy apps or people with nothing more than good grades that now have offers or had some interviews.

- You want to work in Italy or Ticino: Many BBs recruit only from Bocconi for their Italian offices and even at 2nd-tier banks' final rounds 80% of candidates is from Bocconi. Only Milan Polytechnic is somewhat comparable, but obviously for quant/tech roles

- You want to live in Milan: St Gallen is a nice town and Stockholm is a beautiful city, but Milan (and generally Italy) is for many people way more interesting.

- You want to learn Italian: Obvious reason

WHY NOT GO?

- You want to be a trader: Unless you fancy being a trader in Italy, it is extremely difficult to land a trading job in London. You should be an excellent candidate with sky-high grades (equivalent of a first) and some previous finance internship, actually only DB seems to like Bocconi students as traders. Except DB (that it's interviewing now), I know very few people with S&T offers (exactly two, and they meet the aforementioned requirements) and only a very small number who had at least an interview (I think not more than 4-5 including also research). Many people apply for S&T summer internships in their final year, apply to FT roles after an IBD internship or long-term internships in Italian offices.

Edit (to be more specific):
    - if you speak Italian, it is easier because you can intern/work in Milan offices and then move to London (FT recruitment, change office, etc..)
    - Sales > Equity Research > Structuring > Trading > Strategy (and other heavy quant)

- You have a Merit Award scholarship: Bocconi hands out around 60 scholarships (around 25-30 to Finance students). The probability to have it for the 2nd year is not very high, and the new rules will make it harder and harder. BTW, a good MSc for € 10500 is still not bad.

- You are not used to study a lot: Many friends who got their Economics degrees in UK (not LSE or Oxbridge) are struggling: they got 1st and now they can barely pass exams. And the fact that you want to do the apps and interviews doesn't help, you should be sure to get an internship and then a FT offer otherwise you're gonna have serious problems. Many people who know how Bocconi works, try to find a balance (a I did).

-Teaching quality: Very volatile and the new "management" badly affected this area. There are some very good professors (particularly quant/markets courses), but some are terrible (particularly corporate finance/accounting courses where senior professors still rule).

If you have any questions...

ReputationRep:
    Good post!

ReputationRep:
    Some examples (current and past year) to substain my theory for S&T (v= offer, w=wait, r=rej afer int):

- 1st UK uni, finance internship in major oil company, fluent 3.5 languages, pretty girl: BarCap (v), UBS (v) and MS (r)
    - 1st Bocconi, European Union Offices internship (don't remember where), fluent 3 languages, vp of very important student association: BarCap (r)
    - high 2:1 Bocconi, internship MFI, financial advisor, fluent 3 languages, mid-level student politician: RBS (r), DB (w), JPM Milan (turned down offer)
    - 1st Bocconi (top of class), exchange at Wharton, GMAT 780, fluent 3 languages: Citi (v)
    - MEng, 3yrs GS Tech HK: GS (w)
    - 2:1 Bocconi, internships in JPM and two Italian IBs: JPM NY (v)
    I bet that at another unis, they would have had better chances (maybe I'm wrong).

For IBD:

- 1st Bocconi, semiprofessional tennis player, fluent 3 languages: MS, GS, CS, UBS, ML, JPM (v), Nomura
    - 1st Bocconi, fluent 3 languages: ML (r), BarCap (v), CS (r)
    - low 2:1 Bocconi, internship MFI, fluent 2.5 languages: BarCap (v), ML (r), Nomura (w/r)
    - 2:1 UK uni, minor internship, fluent 3 languages: CS (r), DB (w), GS (w), Nomura (r), MS (r)

ReputationRep:
    Theres atleast 2 who got into Citi from Bocconi for this year S&T in take. Don't think that is too bad rate (tbh I was surprised so many from Bocconi for 09/10 intake).

Another two from Bocconi are joining CMO of Citi and final 2 to IBD. 6 from Bocconi to London Citi office is very good rate, better than some other UK top universities. =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    Theres atleast 2 who got into Citi from Bocconi for this year S&T in take. Don't think that is too bad rate (tbh I was surprised so many from Bocconi for 09/10 intake).

Another two from Bocconi are joining CMO of Citi and final 2 to IBD. 6 from Bocconi to London Citi office is very good rate, better than some other UK top universities. =)
    FT or Summer?

However, when I said IBD I was talking about ECM/DCM/M&A: and 4 people is good. If it's SA, one of the S&T should be a MSc 2nd year student.

BTW, Bocconi is not terrible for S&T but I think other universities (SSE, UK top, St Gallen, HEC) are better.

ReputationRep:
    All above are for FT positions only though as I can't see summer intern joiner list.

About HEC theres 2 from HEC for IBD and 1 HEC for S&T and thats it. But this is only one bank hence its all very generalised.

Overall LSE tops the intake for about 13% of total intake.
    This is followed by Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Cambrige and Oxford (6 accounting for about 50%+ total intake of FOs) Bocconi was about 7% of the total intake.

But this isn't entirely accurate as not all joiners have put their details up I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neocortex)
    All above are for FT positions only though as I can't see summer intern joiner list.

About HEC theres 2 from HEC for IBD and 1 HEC for S&T and thats it. But this is only one bank hence its all very generalised.

Overall LSE tops the intake for about 13% of total intake.
    This is followed by Warwick, UCL, Imperial, Cambrige and Oxford (6 accounting for about 50%+ total intake of FOs) Bocconi was about 7% of the total intake.

But this isn't entirely accurate as not all joiners have put their details up I think.
    I was mainly speaking about summer internships, because for FT positions there are other variables. E.g. you can intern in Italian offices during summer+2nd year and then apply for a FT position later (a friend got into a BB trading scheme after spending his 2nd year in the prop trading desk of a medium-sized Italian bank) or move to London. But this is possible only if you speak Italian fluently, and my suggestions were aimed mainly at non-Italians.

I thought HEC was better, my fault...

ReputationRep:
    HEC is good, don't worry about that ^^ one banks statistics doesn't mean everything

ReputationRep:
    Pitoburo thanks a lot for that information... it is actually helpful for prospective applicants like us..
    To introduce myself, I am from India and have applied to Bocconi's MSc Finance for Fall 2010, I have 710 GMAT and a CFA Level I...
    Now, I have some more queries :

1.) You mentioned that -
    .... particularly because there've been some recent changes.
    What recent changes are you talking about could you please elaborate?

2.) How are Full time placements and internships at Bocconi MSc Finance for International students also factoring in the current recession. From your posts it seems that its difficult find FT positions outside of Italy (say, in London)... Could you provide some statistics (as in %. of international students placed) of Internship/placements for International students for recent years...

3.)With respect to Merit Awards, you have mentioned that --
    The probability to have it for the 2nd year is not very high, and the new rules will make it harder and harder.
    but I had read on their website that you have to be in top 10% of class to get the merit award renewed for 2nd year.... Could please tell the exact scenario? also what new rules are you talking about?

4.) Finally, if say I don't get an merit award renewed for 2nd year what other options are available to fund my education?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saurabh.daftary)

1.) You mentioned that - What recent changes are you talking about could you please elaborate?
    The two main changes are the number of classes (from 2 to 1), but the critical one is a new course director. She is not exactly an excellence and there are rumours about her appointment, this translate in a management worse than a couple of yrs ago when the director was a great professor.

2.) How are Full time placements and internships at Bocconi MSc Finance for International students also factoring in the current recession. From your posts it seems that its difficult find FT positions outside of Italy (say, in London)... Could you provide some statistics (as in %. of international students placed) of Internship/placements for International students for recent years...
    There are no statistics, so it's very difficult to say. BTW, there are no real differences for London positions compared to Italians (very strong IBD, weaker for S&T), the difference is that you won't be able to work in Italy (unless you speak Italian) and take different routes. So an Italian speaking student can intern in JPM or MS Milan (some examples) and then move to London, this will be difficult for you.
    I know Indian and Chinese students who landed very good jobs in London/top PhD programs.

3.)With respect to Merit Awards, you have mentioned that --
    but I had read on their website that you have to be in top 10% of class to get the merit award renewed for 2nd year.... Could please tell the exact scenario? also what new rules are you talking about?
    You need a GPA of 28/30 (excluding the worst grade). This generally means the top 10%, but for Management probably is equivalent to top 15% and for Finance/Economics top 5%. If you're used to study quite hard (more than UK/US unis) and have a quant background (Eng, Maths, Finance, etc..), this is possible although not easy.
    Till last year you needed a GPA of only 27/30 (all exams). The difference seems narrow, but many excellent student actually fall in the 27-28 bracket (with a little more than 27 you can actually get final full grades).

4.) Finally, if say I don't get an merit award renewed for 2nd year what other options are available to fund my education?
    Dunno. There are other financial aids linked to your net worth.

In few words: if you have a full scholarship (tuition+housing), a solid background (maths knowledge, grades, work experience) and expensive alternatives (e.g. Cass), Bocconi could be a good choice.

ReputationRep:
    thanks again for that info kudos to you.....
    I have applied in January 10 deadline.... will get back to you once I get a decision...
    any idea how much time they take to give out decisions for Int. students?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I'll be joining Boccocni MSC in Finance in september, looking for roomates !
    Please send me a pm

Ciao a tutti

ReputationRep:
    Hello, joining Msc in Finance (bocconi) next year. Looking for international students as roommates.

Write me a message if interested.

Ciao

ReputationRep:
    Have you guys already started looking for houses?? I don't get it. I've been accepted for Bocconi Finance program as well, but haven't received any further updates on next step procedures, tried emailing them a few times, but no reply. What's going on?

ReputationRep:
    Actually you'll be able to apply -via the online procedure- to Bocconi's housing by mid june.
    Atm the only next step you can do is to transfer the 2KE advanced payment, if not yet done already

edit: Bocconi has just sent an email regarding housing

ReputationRep:
    guys just out of interest to which bocconi residence are you applying? why dont you consider renting a flat?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by djidee)
    Actually you'll be able to apply -via the online procedure- to Bocconi's housing by mid june.
    Atm the only next step you can do is to transfer the 2KE advanced payment, if not yet done already

edit: Bocconi has just sent an email regarding housing

I didn't get any email regarding housing

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

Im joining Bocconi this sept for the Msc in Finance program. Nice to see all of you here.

By the way, we really should make a Facebook group for our class.
    It would be easier for us too get along and discuss things.

Vineeth Naik

ReputationRep:
    -> http://www.facebook.com/jdevillers#!/group.php?gid=114074491940030

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys

Also joining in September, good to see everyone here!!

In terms of Bocconi student halls - is anyone applying to these or looking to rent a flat privately?

If anyone has any advice on the halls other than what is already online that would be great.

Cheers

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.