Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

All The Attributes But Not Getting Into Med School? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to know if there was a significant number of applicants who have not gained a place at a medical school, even though they 'tick all the boxes' so to speak. Of course, all applicants have to reach minimum requirements, but are thier people who have applied with very good application, and still not got in?

I'm sure people will say there must be SOMETHING wrong in the application, or that the sheer numbers of applicants means a number of good applicants will be rejected, but....I have seen people who do not appear to have the qualities others have (e.g more consistent educational attainment, more work experience) get an interview above others. Of course the PS counts, but what is it.

My friend has applied 4 times now, every year since leaving uni, has got a postgraduate degree, over 650 in ukcat, over 5 years of consistent work experience, demonstrated and explained what they learnt, got A*, A's and B's gcse, and good alevels, no criminal record...yet has been rejected mostly without interview 12 times!

Then I see people with less than that (not saying they are not capable) getting interviews all over the place.

I just want to know what could it be! The reasons they have given is that there were stronger candidates....?!

For those who have not seen the updates my friend did get offered a place at imperial after 2ndry school, didnt get the grades,did other degrees,and is now working.

ReputationRep:
    His UKCAT is likely to be letting him down if hes applying for GEM as alot of graduates seem to have a score over 700 which is signifcant for some uni which use it as the only meassure to call people for interview

ReputationRep:
    A lot of it seems to be about which unis you apply to. You need to go with your main strengths, because they all seem to look for something different.
    E.g. his ukcat is a bit low for some of the GEM courses, some courses will only look at those who got a first in their undergrad degree, some still expect As at A level, including chemistry and so on.

ReputationRep:
    - his ukcats is low (for a GEP applicant)
    - his personal statement maynot be as good as other applicant (you will never know who else will apply and what they put in their personal statement)
    - if he had interviews, he mustnt have been very good in them and that can account for alot.

did he not ask for feed back from the places he applyed to so he can see where he is going wrong? rather than making the same mistake over and over again.

so really when you look at it like that then maybe he doesnt tick all the boxes.
    my advice to him would be to do some serious ukcat practice and interview practice if he applys again.

ReputationRep:
    First off, his UKCAT is low. Also you don't mention what he got for a his degree or his a levels. Also what has he been doing since leaving uni? If he's just taken four gap years that must look terrible on an application. If you apply one year, applying again the next year with the exact same grades etc. does not give you a better chance. He could apply 8 years in a row, but if his application is the same, he's no more likely to get it.

And also as yoru friends has a degree, and has taken four years of applying, the sheer amount of work experience and volunteering he would be expected to have would be huge compared to a school leaver who only had two years during sixth form. Maybe he doesn' have enough for someone who's had sixth form + a degree + 4 years after a degree to gain experience

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    First off, his UKCAT is low. Also you don't mention what he got for a his degree or his a levels. Also what has he been doing since leaving uni? If he's just taken four gap years that must look terrible on an application. If you apply one year, applying again the next year with the exact same grades etc. does not give you a better chance. He could apply 8 years in a row, but if his application is the same, he's no more likely to get it.

And also as yoru friends has a degree, and has taken four years of applying, the sheer amount of work experience and volunteering he would be expected to have would be huge compared to a school leaver who only had two years during sixth form. Maybe he doesn' have enough for someone who's had sixth form + a degree + 4 years after a degree to gain experience
    Why? If anything it shows commitment. And do you honestly think he just sat at home for 4 years doing nothing? I expect he has a job, did work xp, possibly travelled. The usual gap yearish stuff.

A gap year can change a person a lot. This is then reflected onto his application. I can't beleive you actualy thought he might be applying with the same exact application four years in a row. FML.

ReputationRep:
    As people keep mentioning it..I should clarify, this person is applying for 5 YEAR courses! Which to me made it all the more confusing.
    No gap years, as went on to get postgraduate degree and now working full time.

Feedback is that there were other stronger candidates. His was good, but not good enough. I dont know if this was for all uni's

Science degrees.

So i guess it just depends on the unis

And i understand people will say go with unis that appriciate your skills...but with the range of experince he has had...and the 12 uni's he;s applied to..he's basically covered most uni's in the uk by now..lol..shouldn't laugh, but his dilemma really made me think...is it luck?

Plus when I say mostly without interview...i mean NONE. Got one by default because they went to the uni they applied to.

ReputationRep:
    I know people who have applied to the same unis for their 4 and 5 year courses and have been rejected for the 5 and accepted for the 4.

If he really is an amazing candidate with a lot of experience they probably think he'll be bored and a bit wasted on a 5 year course.

ReputationRep:
    Not saying that he is amazing, but he is worthy of at least an interview imo...which he is not getting.

Dont think he cares about being wasted, he just wants to be a doctor....so has to go to medical school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Why? If anything it shows commitment. And do you honestly think he just sat at home for 4 years doing nothing? I expect he has a job, did work xp, possibly travelled. The usual gap yearish stuff.

A gap year can change a person a lot. This is then reflected onto his application. I can't beleive you actualy thought he might be applying with the same exact application four years in a row. FML.
    I know several people who took several gap years *ahem* travelling basically as an excuse to not do real work. One gap year travelling gives you an experiences, if you took four years out to travel you're basically avoiding doing something constructive.

My point was he hasn't actually said what he did in those gap years. For all we know he spent them drinking his sorrows away because he could get a goddamn place. If he can't jusify what he did with those four years, no ones going to think he's a strong applicant compared to people who didnt waste four years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planned)
    Not saying that he is amazing, but he is worthy of at least an interview imo...which he is not getting.

Dont think he cares about being wasted, he just wants to be a doctor....so has to go to medical school.
    It's his PS.

No doubt!

Especially if he is being rejected without interview. Let's face it, there's only one thing that separates all these outstanding applicants and it's the PS. Probably thinks that because he has such good "hard" attributes the "softness" of the PS is getting glossed over.

Fold the PS in half. Up to the crease should be why medicine, supported by what you learnt on work experience with a hard hitting introduction. After the crease, write about ECs and achievements, with a strong close.

Boom!

Amazingly although some people don't believe it, shock horror, a uni will misjudge someone and get it wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by digitalis)
    It's his PS.

No doubt!

Especially if he is being rejected without interview. Let's face it, there's only one thing that separates all these outstanding applicants and it's the PS. Probably thinks that because he has such good "hard" attributes the "softness" of the PS is getting glossed over.

Fold the PS in half. Up to the crease should be why medicine, supported by what you learnt on work experience with a hard hitting introduction. After the crease, write about ECs and achievements, with a strong close.

Boom!
    I don't know, I have to question how much of my PS was actually read. I think I got most of my interviews because of how I performed in aptitude tests, and after my interviews there was obviously a far better way for them to judge me.

OP - if your friend has consistently been rejected without interview for 4 years now, luck doesn't come into it. Luck can account for a strange anomaly in a universities response compared to the others, it cannot account for consistent unanimous decisions by many different medical schools. There must be something severely wrong with his application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Amazingly although some people don't believe it, shock horror, a uni will misjudge someone and get it wrong.
    The important point there is "a uni". One might. 12 don't.

ReputationRep:
    Several of my doctors have told me that if after 3 cycles of applications someone keeps on getting rejected without interviews maybe it is time to give up. People (especially as grads) can get stuck chasing medicine for many years and keep putting themselves through this process when they could have looked at things rationally a long time ago and used their skills and talents in another field. Is he getting feedback from the universities and actually reflecting on what went wrong? To get rejected without interview either grades or PS are too account for and i have to agree with digitalis - it must be the PS. Luck can play a big part i think, but to continually get 4 rejections each cycle is not just bad luck...

I also doubt how much my own ps was read this year. i applied to 3 med schools last year and had 2 interviews - 1 offer and 1 wait list. This year I resat my A Level, submitted the exact same p/s (with a few amended details about doing more work experience) to those 2 medical schools and got rejected without interview from both. the place that gave me an offer (after agreeing it was fine to resit and reapply) sent me a generic letter saying my ps was not good but when i questioned them further and took matters in to my own hands I was told that missing my grades had too much of an effect on my application and it was not looked at further - even though I had extenuating circumstances, doctors' notes, the lot, they never took any notice of this because my grade in biology was horrendous.

ReputationRep:
    Well we both went to the same secondary school, we both had interests in medicine...he and actually got a place at that point to do medicine at imperial...but missed the grades - got a B instead of the required A,....and I guess he has been screwed ever since. I guess it must be PS. no doubt he has looked into that...his point was that i got in , with lesser grades, whereas he, didnt.

ReputationRep:
    so its clearly not that he is not at all good, imperial interviewed him ad he got an offer. but didnt get that, went on to do subsequent degree's and now works full time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planned)
    I just wanted to know if there was a significant number of applicants who have not gained a place at a medical school, even though they 'tick all the boxes' so to speak. Of course, all applicants have to reach minimum requirements, but are thier people who have applied with very good application, and still not got in?

I'm sure people will say there must be SOMETHING wrong in the application, or that the sheer numbers of applicants means a number of good applicants will be rejected, but....I have seen people who do not appear to have the qualities others have (e.g more consistent educational attainment, more work experience) get an interview above others. Of course the PS counts, but what is it.

My friend has applied 4 times now, every year since leaving uni, has got a postgraduate degree, over 650 in ukcat, over 5 years of consistent work experience, demonstrated and explained what they learnt, got A*, A's and B's gcse, and good alevels, no criminal record...yet has been rejected mostly without interview 12 times!

Then I see people with less than that (not saying they are not capable) getting interviews all over the place.

I just want to know what could it be! The reasons they have given is that there were stronger candidates....?!
    what do you mean mostly interviewed. Then he did get interviewed! And he didn't get in.

Perhaps apply abroad? If he's applied 4 times, and he wasn't at uni, he should have used those 4 years to save the money.

ReputationRep:
    Please read dfjr....all ure questions have been explained already...there are not that many posts...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.