Japanese B Encephalitis Watch

member169510
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Anybody in the Travel forum (might post this in health if no repsonse here) know anything about the Japanese B Encephalitis vaccine? I am travelling around SE Asia and India for 6 months and am wondering if I will need it. My other problem is I am struggling to find anywhere that has the vaccine, and the cost looks like it will be huge?

Is it worth getting if so where will do it for me?

This has got me worried so I will most definately reward helpful answers :yep:

Jonny
brabzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm going for 5 mo soon (inc. Japan...no idea if the name is a coincidence) and have no intention of getting the jab.

IF there is a real point to getting it, and you realize that once there, it'll be readily available and probably a tenth of the price. If it isn't, it's just another jab for paranoid white people :-)
oxymoronic
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had it about 18 months ago.

I found the travel clinic at my university health services to be very helpful - they couldn't do it for me actually at my normal doctors there but gave me information for somewhere in the city where I could go to get it so I just made an appointment with them instead and it was fine. If you go somewhere which is fairly likely to have people travelling here there and everywhere such as a university health service they are more likely to know something about it STA travel also have a travel clinic although I think they only have one in London.

You have to have it in two doses about two weeks apart so I ended up having one lot at home and one lot at uni but it was fine! I think I paid about £70 but I seem to remember it covered you for a fairly long time and as I travel to random parts of the world a lot I decided that it was worth it.

Have you properly checked out that you actually need it? I guess it depends where you'll be going - I was in the countryside which is the reason I had it, but if you're staying in fairly tourist riden places or cities I'm not sure whether you'll need it. Where in SE Asia are you going? As I was in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia this summer and I know you didn't need to have it for there, you just needed the normal travelling type ones.... so unless you're going somewhere really random in that area I can't really envisage you needing it. Or are you looking at it for India? I've never been there so I'm not sure
brabzzz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Make sure you have the 'standard ones' - HepA, Typhoid, Tub etc. They should be free and are likely to be boosters to the jabs you had years ago.

I also got HepB (in case i end up in A&E for any reason...) and Rabies (useless unless you are heading WELL off the beaten track. It just buys you another 24h). I probably wouldn't bother if i had to do it all again.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (213)
27.92%
No (550)
72.08%

Watched Threads