Turn on thread page Beta

Places it's OK to go on your own (as a female) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Due to friends having different plans or being just a bit hopeless at getting their acts together, I am now thinking that going somewhere myself might be the best bet.

I am fine with my own company but it would be nice to meet up with other travellers along the way.

Where would you recommend?! I would like to get out of Europe and have already been to Canada and America so other suggestions would be great.

Ideas:
    New Zealand - only problem will be it's their winter?
    South America - how is it for lone females?
    Going somewhere to volunteer for a few weeks, meet people and then travel

Very much open to recommendations though

ReputationRep:
    If your worried about your safety travelling alone i would suggest you stick to Europe as most countries such as Italy, Spain are fairly safe.

But really it depends on your charater and personality - if your a shrewd girl and not stupid and have your mind on the ball and have a good character jugdment and always have your gaurd up then you'll generally be fine in most none third world countries such as the more popular destinations of america, New zealand sounds safe for females how ever south america some countries are not the safe such as Peru which is mostly very poor costa rica is fairly safe though.

If your a vulnerable type looking girl i really suggest you reconsider going on your own

Thailand, Austrialia, America are generally safe women.

ReputationRep:
    My advice - don't be suh a pussy; just go, you've as much chance (if not greater)being stabbed in England than in New Zealand, Australia, et cetera.

Avoid South America, Thailand, any country that is not developed.

ReputationRep:
    I've already travelled around basically all of Europe, hence wanting to broaden the horizons! I think I would be "shrewd" enough to travel on my own, I just wanted other people's experiences.

ReputationRep:
    I went to Thailand by myself and didn't have any trouble. I met people there basically on the first day and kept on meeting people all the way through- I never really ended up travelling completely alone. I've heard South America isn't as safe for lone females, but as AFF said it depends how shrewd you are, and how vulnerable you look. I've been told I look lost all the time however and got on fine... Go for it

And Blue Roses are amazing if you're meaning Laura Groves band.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should go to the Arctic Circle

ReputationRep:
    Australia is a pretty safe place to travel alone. Plus, its very easy to meet fellow backpackers.

ReputationRep:
    If you're worried about travelling alone, try Europe. I'm sure Australia and New Zealand are safe. Avoid Africa unless you have someone to go with or someone you know well to stay with.

ReputationRep:
    Thailand, Laos, Japan, Singapore & mainland Malaysia would all be fine to go by yourself. Same with Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Canada, America and European countries. Tbh, I'd say you'd be fine going to the main cities in South America, so long as you kept a strict eye out for yourself and your stuff.

ReputationRep:
    the kitchen

ReputationRep:
    Malaysia?

ReputationRep:
    Switzerland's the safest place you could be

ReputationRep:
    New Zealand - as long as you take the same precautions as you would in this country, you'll be fine. In fact, i felt far safer there.

Winter wise in NZ - some places are even more beautiful at this time of year (obviously any of the mountains, Southern lakes such as Lake Tekapo etc.) Obviously you wouldn't be able to enjoy the amazing beaches in quite the same way, but if you're not visiting for that then that's fine! You'll be able to go skiing, instead of kayaking, scuba diving etc. You should be aware though that though temperatures are similar to the UK, it'll feel colder because most buildings do not have heating (a lot of hostels will advertise things like "Heating in every room!!!!" cos it's a special thing). And if you were planning to drive a camper van around I'd probably think twice!

ReputationRep:
    Should be fine. Come to san diego with me in a few months if you like My mates are also crap.

(Original post by zoet86)
    I'm crap at getting in touch about holiday plans, but have done this so i can respond!
    If she sees this she should respond, did thailand and aussie alone last year and had a great time.

ReputationRep:
    But it's summer in New Zealand at the moment, like in Australia! June - August is winter, and the skiing high season...

ReputationRep:
    How about my place? :sexface:

ReputationRep:
    YOu gonna get raped.

ReputationRep:
    I would go Australia or New Zealand.
    If you are gonna go South America, go to Argentina or Chile. You could do some volunteer work there as well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Thailand, Laos, Japan, Singapore & mainland Malaysia would all be fine to go by yourself. Same with Australia, Fiji, New Zealand, Canada, America and European countries. Tbh, I'd say you'd be fine going to the main cities in South America, so long as you kept a strict eye out for yourself and your stuff.
    I would dispute this, really. It's a myth that mainland Malaysia outside of say, KL is anymore safe for Western travelers than Malaysian Borneo. For a start, M'sian Borneo has alot more traveller programs and there will be more travellers in general, plus it's much easier to bribe your way out of trouble.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    I would dispute this, really. It's a myth that mainland Malaysia outside of say, KL is anymore safe for Western travelers than Malaysian Borneo. For a start, M'sian Borneo has alot more traveller programs and there will be more travellers in general, plus it's much easier to bribe your way out of trouble.
    Well I found that aside from KL, Penang and Melaka also had a lot of travellers in, and they're also on the mainland. I doubt that outside of the diving/ snorkelling hubs on Borneo, there'd be many travellers at all, and locals will be much more conservative.

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.