Turn on thread page Beta

Places it's OK to go on your own (as a female) watch

ReputationRep:
    Don't feel held back simply because you are female. Women can travel safely almost anywhere in the world - just stick to areas in the vicinity in which you feel secure. Being female should be no limitation to global travel.

ReputationRep:
    I would say pretty much anywhere, except maybe some places in the middle east, and obviously war-torn countries. As far as I'm concerned as long as you look into the customs and the way women are treated in the society and are aware of that most places are safe. I went to Nepal and Thailand alone and I had no probems. As long as you're confident and can handle yourself/a bit of sleaze then you don't have much to worry about. Be very aware though of how you should dress, e.g. in Nepal/India/similar you really want to cover up, the men aren't really dangerous but just irritating.

ReputationRep:
    Although a lot of South America is fairly safe I wouldn't want to go there alone and I'm a very "I'm going there alone" kind of girl. I went for a little jaunt to South America a couple of years ago and a lot of places are "must-see" (Belize in particular is an often over-looked gem) but I never felt safe in towns/cities at night, and I always had people with me.

If you want somewhere that you'll feel safe I'd advise somewhere where the majority of people speak English and where it's not too culturally different. It'll make you feel safer (and it's as much about feeling safe as it is about being safe).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    Well I found that aside from KL, Penang and Melaka also had a lot of travellers in, and they're also on the mainland. I doubt that outside of the diving/ snorkelling hubs on Borneo, there'd be many travellers at all, and locals will be much more conservative.
    Not true. Conservatism is more rife in the mainland because of the strength of Islam there. The main place where it isn't safe to go in Malaysian Borneo is the road from Sabah to Sarawak which is bandit infested (plus, you can fly from KK to Kuching for under 100MYR.) Yes, some parts can be dangerous, but that's true for everywhere in the world, and still true for West Malaysia. (For instance, one time I was there we couldn't go to the beach because apparently Filippino drug dealers were patrolling with guns) but they're rare and largely, natives are pleased to see people and are generally very friendly. Eric Hansen actually travelled from one end of Borneo (Kuching to Balikpapan, I think, its been a while since I read his book) to the other. Admittedly he's an expert traveller and had been in Borneo before, but that just shows that it's alot, lot safer than Africa or South America, largely because the natives aren't hostile to foreigners so long as you bring them gifts. Many Borneo tribes are actually known for their hospitality: staying in a longhouse overnight is a guarantee of both safety and food.

Last time I was in Borneo, we met an English traveller who was on her own and my dad drove her to a good hostel and arranged for a good deal with the owner. There's absolutely nothing wrong with East Malaysian natives/locals. As it stands, there are alot of travellers in Malaysian Borneo and so long as you stay in contact with some of them -- and, if you can, some of the wealthier locals -- you're guaranteed a good time. The primary difference (for the purposes of this thread) between West and East Malaysia is the prevalence of Islam, which can range from being not relevant to being a major thorn in the side of Westerners abroad (remember the whole Mohammed teddy bear incident in Sudan?)

I mean, sure, KL and Georgetown are safe bets. But, then, so are Kuching and KK. If you're in M'sia you don't want to stay in the city for too long anyway...

anyway, I am just trying to dispell the typical myths surrounding East Malaysia.

ReputationRep:
    I agree stop being such a pussy, there aren't many places which are unsafe. The places which are, I doubt you'd want to go there anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bagration)
    The primary difference (for the purposes of this thread) between West and East Malaysia is the prevalence of Islam, which can range from being not relevant to being a major thorn in the side of Westerners abroad (remember the whole Mohammed teddy bear incident in Sudan?)
    For the purpose of a general traveller, as long as you're aware of the religion and local customs of the area you're in (this applies anywhere in the world) then you're generally fine. Not many people backpacking around Malaysia are going to be in a position where they ask children to name a teddy bear!

As someone who has travelled around the Malaysian peninsula as a lone female I'd say that as long as you're aware of the fact you're in a Muslim area and thus dress appropriately then you're fine... it isn't anything to hide away from or to be worried about at all

As with anywhere in the world, take the same care as you would in any UK city and you can't do much wrong. There isn't anywhere in the world where I want to go that I wouldn't go just because I happen to be travelling alone and also happen to be female

ReputationRep:
    when is australias/nz's summer and winter? just wondering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph90)
    Avoid Africa unless you have someone to go with or someone you know well to stay with.
    There's no particular reason to avoid Africa just because you are a female travelling alone, especially if you go to sub saharan Africa. People are generally very welcoming and helpful.

I think South Africa is a good place to backpack; you can take the Baz Bus from Jo'burg to Cape Town or vice versa. If you do that, you'll meet loads of other people, you avoid pretty much all the hassles of using public transport which isn't great in SA. I think that's probably one of the safest ways to do SA and you get a great mix of 'rea' Africa, nice cities and if you go through Kruger the chance to go on safari. If you wanted to volunteer you would find opportunites to do that as you went too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sokissme18)
    when is australias/nz's summer and winter? just wondering
    It's reverse......So our summer is June, July, August, NZ's summer is generally considered to be December, January, February. But like our own summer, it can be longer (like this year our September was really nice), when I was there in 07/08, summer felt more like 5 months long, November - April!

ReputationRep:
    Singapore is possibly the safest place I have been to in my life! I think I felt safer there than in my own town. Fair enough thought considering that Singapore feels like one giant city centre

But even in reputed "safe" places incidences still happen. I know of an experienced female backpacker who was assaulted in a hostel in Sydney in a shower block. Just important to make sure you never let yourself get into a situation where there's any possibility of being taken advantage of. Taking a door wedge with you can serve as a substitute if there are no locks/weak locks on doors just as extra precaution.

ReputationRep:
    Go to india - it's the best place to be on your own, i'm a 20 yr old female i was there alone for 2 months and i've never made so many friends in my life! just keep your common sense and you'll be absolutely fine. worst that will happen if you're not careful is you'd get pickpocketed, indians are not violent people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappyharriet)
    Go to india - it's the best place to be on your own, i'm a 20 yr old female i was there alone for 2 months and i've never made so many friends in my life! just keep your common sense and you'll be absolutely fine. worst that will happen if you're not careful is you'd get pickpocketed, indians are not violent people.
    You get a hell of a lot of staring though, to a ridiculous degree, which some girls would find pretty intimidating. Plus, I've read that although violence is rare, sexual comments and groping etc. is pretty common (I escaped this because I was with my BF, but I still got tons of staring.)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FormerlyHistoryStudent)
    You get a hell of a lot of staring though, to a ridiculous degree, which some girls would find pretty intimidating. Plus, I've read that although violence is rare, sexual comments and groping etc. is pretty common (I escaped this because I was with my BF, but I still got tons of staring.)
    Yeah that's true, but if anyone does touch you you are within your right to give them a good slap, and most of the people around are going to be on your side, tourism is where a lot of people get their income from and they all want you to be happy!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinyhappyharriet)
    Yeah that's true, but if anyone does touch you you are within your right to give them a good slap, and most of the people around are going to be on your side, tourism is where a lot of people get their income from and they all want you to be happy!
    Oh I know, but it would be nice if it didn't happen in the first place! (Not the staring so much, I didn't really mind it but I know others might.) I certainly wouldn't say that India was the best country to be by yourself - in Asia, I'd say that Laos and Singapore are. Laos because the vast majority of people are strict Buddhists, so calmness and peacefulness are of the utmost importance, as well as not losing 'face' and not showing anything of a sexual nature in public, and Singapore because it's so well ordered and strictly controlled.

ReputationRep:
    I am now thinking of going to India and probably volunteering for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Then either continue volunteering if I like it or else find fellow travellers to explore the rest of the area with!

ReputationRep:
    Cuba is said to be ok for lone female travellers, you'll get a few stares, but I think that's expected from most places. And Belize!! Someone mentioned Belize before, so pretty, so much to do and see!
    Also, I live in Mexico, and it's beautiful! I haven't had any problems so far, and there's tons of places to see! (Just avoid the US border area..)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueRoses)
    I am now thinking of going to India and probably volunteering for at least 2 or 3 weeks. Then either continue volunteering if I like it or else find fellow travellers to explore the rest of the area with!
    Jealous! I would love to go to India. I went to Nepal which is fairly similar. Apparently if you're not ok with the male attention which can get quite heavy the best thing to do is wear a wedding ring and cover up, if possible wear Indian dress. You'll have a great time though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missygeorgia)
    Jealous! I would love to go to India. I went to Nepal which is fairly similar. Apparently if you're not ok with the male attention which can get quite heavy the best thing to do is wear a wedding ring and cover up, if possible wear Indian dress. You'll have a great time though.
    Nepal also looks amazing, what time of year did you go there? Our summer is monsoon season so I'm having to rethink

ReputationRep:
    I've heard Laos is pretty safe for solo females. Not too sure though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.