Turn on thread page Beta

Labour MP: rough handshakes are assault watch

ReputationRep:
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8485784.stm

People who administer bone-crushing handshakes to prove the strength of their personalities should be charged with assault, says a Labour MP.

Paul Flynn, 74, the MP for Newport West, used his blog to claim that shaking hands was getting less popular.

"Good riddance. They are unnecessary, unhygienic, germ-spreading intrusions," he wrote.

He said some "oafs use them to prove the strength of their personalities with bone-crushers".

"They should be summoned for assault."
    What a little girl. :camp:

He doesn't like handshakes altogether :indiff: What does he want, hugs?

ReputationRep:
    That coming from a lonely, cynical old man...

ReputationRep:
    :lol: What an idiot.

Goes to show that most politicians are not only out of touch, but complete pussies.

ReputationRep:
    I'll try that at my next formal meeting.

'Don't shake my hand. I don't want your germs, and I'll have you arrested if you try'.

:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Ok if you injure someone shaking their hand, fair enough. I'm not aware of this happening to anyone though

ReputationRep:
    "bone-crushing handshakes "

Yeah...

ReputationRep:
    Handshakes shouldn't be so strong that they crush your hand--by the same token, handshakes shouldn't be limp and weak.

If you're that bothered about germs, wash your hands before you eat/touch your eyes or nose? Your skin will protect you from germs, and you should wash your hands before eating or handling mucus membranes anyway...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    :mmm: seriously? And no I don't think hugs would go down well either :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjarvis)
    Handshakes shouldn't be so strong that they crush your hand--by the same token, handshakes shouldn't be limp and weak.

If you're that bothered about germs, wash your hands before you eat/touch your eyes or nose? Your skin will protect you from germs, and you should wash your hands before eating or handling mucus membranes anyway...
    Anyone who shirks at a simple firm handshake is just delicate...

ReputationRep:
    What a complete and utter tosser, we're supposed to be British, not bloody French!!!

ReputationRep:
    :stupid:

though at his age he is probably frail

ReputationRep:
    What a pussy :rolleyes: What does he want us to do, hug and kiss each other?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student2806)
    What a pussy :rolleyes: What does he want us to do, hug and kiss each other?
    lawl. He doesn't even want you to touch him, let alone hug and kiss
    "Good riddance. They are unnecessary, unhygienic, germ-spreading intrusions,"

ReputationRep:
    What an absolute tit.

ReputationRep:
    Why is he making such a fuss, the pussy?

He can claim expenses to the private medical costs to any handshake induced injury.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/8485784.stm

What a little girl. :camp:

He doesn't like handshakes altogether :indiff: What does he want, hugs?
    A Glaswegian Handshake is a rough handshake!

ReputationRep:
    I think he wants to be kissed on the forehead.

It always made him feel special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vin)
    :stupid:

though at his age he is probably frail
    You're probably right. People should know enough to temper a handshake to its recipient--women generally get a slightly gentler handshake, as do the elderly who have more delicate skin. A lot of people seem not to know how to give a handshake--firm but never rough. Some people grip too early, before your hands interlock, which is painful. It ought to be a *hand* shake, not a finger crush.

ReputationRep:
    Oh for god's sake, he clearly wasn't being serious.

ReputationRep:
    Bone crunching hand shakes are for pussy fairy boys

I go for total arm dislocation. A real mans shake.

Plus, no handshaking would mean no more ShakeyHandMan on Banzai, and that would be a travesty

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.