Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Proving that Islam is the truth ultimately, though not solely, lies in proving that the Qur'an is the word of God. (Other factors also need to be taken into account such as the biography of the Prophet Muhammad etc.)

I've researched Islam quite thoroughly for about 7 years now and it does seem that Muslims have a real claim when it comes to proving God's existence and that their religion is a true religion from God. The evidence in their favour is overwhelming.

Their main source of proof is the Qur'an, which they claim is a literal and linguistic miracle in the Arabic language (an additional point may be noted, that the Prophet Muhammad was illiterate, this is a historical fact, asserted by both Muslims and non-Muslim orientalists) The Qur'an does have many scientific statements that have recently been proven to be true, but the Qur'an is primarily meant to be linguistic miracle and not a scientific one.
    Most people are largely ignorant of why it is that Muslims believe in what they believe in, thinking that it is a religion solely based on faith rather than proven fact. But Muslims unlike that of any other religion claim to have in their hands what they see as clear evidence of Islams authenticity, namely the Qur'an. Therefore, according to Muslims, it is a religion which incorporates both faith and evidence.
    The Qur'an contains no contradictions, which one would find if it was the work of a man or men. Those who claim it has contradictions usually have a superficial understanding of the Qur'an and are mistaken, or perhaps knowingly try to mislead people.

This is a short clip which desribes the imitability of the Qur'an in the Arabic language:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zezBOtU2WGY

The following 30min video is a lecture given at Oxford on the linguistic and literary miracle of the Qur'an:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIS9osq6pI

This is a short clip of what some leading scientists had to say on the scientific statements in the Qur'an:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUPYs0gElU

Say the Qur'an can be proven to be the words of Allah, or God, a number of facts would then be established:
    1) There is only one God, Allah
    2) Muhammad is a Prophet of God
    3) There is a Day of Judgement
    4) There is an eternal life of either Paradise or Hell
    5) The purpose of mans existence is to worship God (submit to him)
    6) Failing to become a Muslim after one has been exposed to Islam would doom one to Hell
    7) Angels exist
    8) Two angels record mans deeds (good and bad) from the moment of puberty till his/her death
    9) Eblis, or Satan, exists
    10) Each person has personal devil that is assigned to him from the moment of his birth till his death who incites him to evil, namely disbelieving in God and associating other gods with Him
    11) Jesus was never crucified
    12) Jesus shall return
    13) The theory that man evolved from apes is false

If Islam can be proven to be the truth beyond all reasonable doubt and after considering the consequences of not following it, would you then become a practising Muslim?

ReputationRep:
    Religion is FAITH.

Firstly, to follow a theory, you need Faith in it.

I don't have faith in any religion, so if technically Islam could be proven to be true, I still wouldn't follow it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by enlightened)
    If Islam can be proven to be the truth beyond all reasonable doubt and after considering the consequences of not following it, would you become a practising Muslim?
    Yes I would. Everyone would.

But it can't.

Because it's not.

GTFO
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1) God does not exist
    2) How can he talk, if he is metaphysical.

Its all gibberish.

Go stand in the corner with Christianity and Judaism.

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to start abusing the dude, simply disagree and that is that. Show some respect to other peoples faith/beliefs, even if you don't accept/understand them.

Jeez. People these days. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesare Borgia)
    Yes I would. Everyone would.

But it can't.

Because it's not.

GTFO
    This. This. This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paul Bartram)
    Religion is FAITH.

Firstly, to follow a theory, you need Faith in it.

I don't have faith in any religion, so if technically Islam could be proven to be true, I still wouldn't follow it.
    This mainly.

I can't and wont put any faith in any organization that worships an external omnipotent being, it just isn't going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    If it were to be proven true by testable means then I would follow it, but this won't happen because religion relies on faith, which I don't have. And so I will never follow Islam.

ReputationRep:
    well, you have converted me... allah ackbar etc...

enough of these damn islam threads

ReputationRep:
    I concur with the following sentiment.

(Original post by Simisanerd)
    You don't have to start abusing the dude, simply disagree and that is that. Show some respect to other peoples faith/beliefs, even if you don't accept/understand them.

ReputationRep:
    Jesus christ! will people stop with this???

ReputationRep:
    Lord of the rings is the chief linguistic miracle in the English language

1) There is only one God, Morgoth
    2) Sauron is a Prophet of Morgoth
    5) The purpose of mans existence is to worship Morgoth (submit to him)
    6) Failing to become a Goblin after one has been exposed to Sauron's sword would doom one to Hell
    7) Elves exist
    8) Two angels record mans deeds (good and bad) from the moment of puberty till his/her death
    8) The Valar exist
    7) Each person has personal devil that is assigned to him from the moment of his birth till his death who incites him to evil, namely disbelieving in Morgoth and associating Elves with Him
    8) The ring was never destroyed
    9) Sauron shall return
    10) The theory that man evolved from apes is false

*I'm mentally challenged and use axioms that implicitly accept what I am trying to prove. But that's OK because I'm deluded and not very clever.

**Religions are political. They are documents that try to influence social and political life. See sharia law. There is no need to accord them special status for "respect".

ReputationRep:
    OP - most people round this place hates religion in general, and we already get like 50 Islam threads / week...

It's not worth the discussion here; the only place you'll get any sensible discussion is in D&D, Ask a "Christian / Muslim / Jew": one of those threads.

I recommend you use those if you don't want to be spammed down.

ReputationRep:
    Proving that Islam is the truth ultimately, though not solely, lies in proving that the Qur'an is the word of God. (Other factors also need to be taken into account such as the biography of the Prophet Muhammad etc.)

I've researched Islam quite thoroughly for about 7 years now and it does seem that Muslims have a real claim when it comes to proving God's existence and that their religion is a true religion from God. The evidence in their favour is overwhelming.

Their main source of proof is the Qur'an, which they claim is a linguistic miracle in the Arabic language (an additional point may be noted, that the Prophet Muhammad was illiterate, this is a historical fact, asserted by both Muslims and non-Muslim orientalists) The Qur'an does have many scientific statements that have recently been proven to be true, but the Qur'an is primarily meant to be linguistic miracle and not a scientific one.
    Most people are largely ignorant of why it is that Muslims believe in what they believe in, thinking that it is a religion solely based on faith rather than proven fact.
    The Qur'an contains no contradictions, which one would find if it was the work of a man or men. Those who claim it has contradictions usually have a superficial understanding of the Qur'an and are mistaken, or perhaps knowingly try to mislead people.

Here are a couple of videos that which discuss the imitability of the Qur'an and its miraculous nature.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zezBOtU2WGY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irIS9osq6pI

One that discusses the scientific miracles of the Qur'an:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUUPYs0gElU

Say the Qur'an can be proven to be the words of Allah, or God, a number of facts would then be established:
    6) Failing to become a Muslim after one has been exposed to Islam would doom one to Hell
    7) Angels exist
    8) Eblis, or Satan, exists
    7) Each person has personal devil that is assigned to him from the moment of his birth till his death who incites him to evil, namely disbelieving in God and associating other gods with Him
    8) Jesus was never crucified
    9) Jesus shall return

If Islam can be proven to be the truth beyond all reasonable doubt and after considering the consequences of not following it, would you become a practising Muslim?
    You start off well when you are referring to the Quran. Then you seem to attach another source, Muhammad's Biography in Hadith Literature. This biography was written by Arab men centuries after Muhammad's death, what have they got to do with the miraculous nature of the Quran?

The Quran prohibits using other man-made sources for religious guidance in many verses inluding this one:
    [17:46] We place shields over their hearts, that they should not understand it, and deafness in their ears. If you mention your Lord in the Quran alone, they run away turning their backs in aversion.

Many of the points you mention above are contradictory to the Quran. For a full detailed evalutation of Hadith literature and narrations please read the "Manifesto For Islamic Reform" by Edip Yuksel:
    http://islamicreform.org/index.php?o...d=45&Itemid=53

I hope this was informative.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Simisanerd)

I've never understood why anyone should have to respect another's beliefs. I respect their right to believe what they want, but that doesn't mean I respect their beliefs.

For example, would you honestly respect someone's belief that the earth was flat, or would you think it absurd and ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with and believe:
    7) Angels exist
    7) Each person has personal devil that is assigned to him from the moment of his birth till his death who incites him to evil, namely disbelieving in God and associating other gods with Him
    9) Jesus shall return

Numbers 6 and 10 will always be a load of rubbish to me though.

ReputationRep:
    No, because Allah is not my God and never will he be.
    Not because I do not respect Islam, on the contrary I find the faith of some of its followers truly astounding.
    But because his beliefs do not reflect mine and I believe that each is his own God, and that every human believes in his own truth. No two individuals, for me, can have the exact same beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    7) Angels exist
    9) Jesus shall return
    Sounds a lot like Christianity to me.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand what you mean when you say if it is the truth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GBS)
    But because his beliefs do not reflect mine and I believe that each is his own God, and that every human believes in his own truth. No two individuals, for me, can have the exact same beliefs.
    Possessing a childish emotional need for a "god" does not make it true in any sense.

According to your logic, you would respect people who really, really want there to be a unicorn in their garden. The unicorns might be different, some with long tails, short tails - but just because someone has an emotional need to believe in an idea, it's inherently worth of respect?

Come on. Wishing has never made anything be true.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.