Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    has anyone self-taught the two? Which one would you recommend I self -teach?

I have self-taught AS maths and didn't get that great mark. I did C1,C2 and S1. even though those modules were quite easy.

I have just sat my C3 and now I need to pick which other applied module to do for my A2.

I have heard quite a lot of people on TSR complain about how hard mechanics is, so I am quite put off it.

I don't know, S2 or M1?

Also bear in mind I need an 'A*' grade in maths to meet my uni offer.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    I taught myself M1 at A-level and I learnt S2 in lessons, and out of the two I found M1 easier... but it really depends on what you prefer.

ReputationRep:
    If you like stats, s2 is small and easy

ReputationRep:
    s2 is (i think) easier than s1

and definitely easier than m1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sel1234)
    has anyone self-taught the two? Which one would you recommend I self -teach?

I have self-taught AS maths and didn't get that great mark. I did C1,C2 and S1. even though those modules were quite easy.

I have just sat my C3 and now I need to pick which other applied module to do for my A2.

I have heard quite a lot of people on TSR complain about how hard mechanics is, so I am quite put off it.

I don't know, S2 or M1?

Also bear in mind I need an 'A' grade in maths to meet my uni offer.
    I more or less taught myself M1. Its very easy if u learn the method and don't deviate. S2 i did in school but its really easy. Prob even easier then M1. Its a few approximations. A lot better then S1 as has real maths. The whole course consists of around 3 methods (poisson, bionomial and normal distributions) so is very easy

ReputationRep:
    seriously S2 is easier than S1???

I got 260 at AS so I need at least a high 'B' on my other 3 modules to get an 'A' overall. Is it easier to get a 'B' in S2 than than M1?

ReputationRep:
    I think I am going to do S2 rather than M1. because M1 seems like you need real understanding and explanations by a teacher.

ReputationRep:
    seriously S2 is easier than S1???

I got 260 at AS so I need at least a high 'B' on my other 3 modules to get an 'A' overall. Is it easier to get a 'B' in S2 than than M1?
    Im sitting paper in Jun so cant tell u from past experience. Ive finished the course tho and its simple. It more interesting then s1 and really easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pym)
    If you like stats, s2 is small and easy
    I dont like statistics, but I will do S2 if it is easier to learn.

ReputationRep:
    if you do physics then go for mechanics

ReputationRep:
    S2

ReputationRep:
    but surely S2 should be harder than S1? Since its the second module, so a bit more advanced,
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I found S2 much easier than M1, and I would say S2 could easily be self-taught whereas M1 would be harder to do so.

ReputationRep:
    I have kind of forgotten S1 material, is it necessary to re-learn it to do S2?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I have kind of forgotten S1 material, is it necessary to re-learn it to do S2?
    Which exam board are you doing?

If it's Edexcel, then no you don't. Edexcel S2 is very different from S1 and focuses on probability distributions (Binomial, Poisson, Normal, approximations of distributions) and hypothesis testing (1- and 2-tailed tests).

In fact, knowledge of C1-4 is more useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    Which exam board are you doing?

If it's Edexcel, then no you don't. Edexcel S2 is very different from S1 and focuses on probability distributions (Binomial, Poisson, Normal, approximations of distributions) and hypothesis testing (1- and 2-tailed tests).

In fact, knowledge of C1-4 is more useful.
    Yeah sorry forgot to mention, I am doing Edexcel.

Okay great!

Thank guys for your helpful input.

ReputationRep:
    I self taught D1... easy peasy.. especially from what ive heard about it dropping the only hard part of the module.

ReputationRep:
    I self taught S2 - my favourite module everrr - it's like a story book!
    M1 took a while to *click* (and was taught in lessons), but that might just be me

Good luck!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Favourite type of bread
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.