Turn on thread page Beta

Is a man's will more important then fate? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is a mans will superior to his fate?

Discuss.Don't just go like Yes will is more important,give reasons!

ReputationRep:
    Care to expand?

ReputationRep:
    Yes will is more important

ReputationRep:
    I find the question a little contradictory. I probably won't explain myself very well, and my following response is likely to be contradictory also, so forgive me, but doesn't the belief in fate negate man's will.....? :confused: I'm not sure I agree that the two are mutually exclusive, but I also find it hard to wrap my head around the idea that things can be both "left up to fate" (implying you have no control of the outcome) and influenced by your decisions.

So all I really have to say is "I defy you, stars" :p:

ReputationRep:
    The involuntary chemical processes that determine your every thought and action are more important than fate.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    Basically your asking, "Should a man submit to his fate?". No that just counter-productive and will get you nowhere. I believe if a man works hard enough he will open for himself a wide spectrum of paths to choose from instead of fate.

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense to me that everything is determined by the laws of the universe. However our actions are a direct result of us willing them.

In conclusion, I don't like your question. >=(

ReputationRep:
    its an individual pyscological thing.

internal locus of control - you believe you can achieve what you want and are in control of your own destiny.

external locus of control - you believe that much of life is uncontrollable and you can just make the best of a situation. these people are more likely to believe in luck, fate and chance.

Im much headed towards the internal perspective, but believe that in a weird way you make your own luck, people who are driven will usually succeed because they take advantage of opportunities better than those who are less driven.

just written an essay on a very similar subject.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I'm concerned fate doesn't exist and it is our own decisions as indivudals and uncontrollable environmental changes that affect us and those around us - not some mumbo jumbo known as "fate" or "destiny".

ReputationRep:
    Ill rephrase the question. Is a mans will superior to his fate

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.