Turn on thread page Beta

Distinguish between 'then' and 'than'!! watch

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend does this, and I don't know why coz he's a clever guy. Just this one thing and it drives me mad!

ReputationRep:
    The only one that annoys me is when people write 'quiet' instead of 'quite' or vice versa but I'll live with it :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisisyesterday)
    I love the way he chose to ignore this
    I couldn't possibly comment.

ReputationRep:
    I think its an American thing, I know a lot of Americans who do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fran.ha)
    I think its an American thing, I know a lot of Americans who do it.
    I can see why now. Read this: http://grammartips.homestead.com/than.html

There is only one thing worse than an incompetent grammar rant, and that is a stolen incompetent grammar rant. :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I disagree; it's not that much of a problem.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I can see why now. Read this: http://grammartips.homestead.com/than.html

There is only one thing worse than an incompetent grammar rant, and that is a stolen incompetent grammar rant. :toofunny:
    Yes! I have a friend who is from Connecticut and she does it ALL THE TIME. I assumed maybe it was an accent thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    you do not belong on TSR.
    As a bang-to-rights plagiarist, neither do you.

ReputationRep:
    You think you're spelling is SO much better then everyone else's, than go and make a thread complaining about minor mistakes.

Get over yourself!

.... it feels weird using them wrongly.

ReputationRep:
    Did you know that it takes between three and six seconds to waste your time in reading this?

ReputationRep:
    I commented on this 'phenomenon' about a year ago when I noticed it in the lyrics booklet of a Sugababes song - do they not have proof readers these days!?

I know loads of people that do it and it's rife on here too. I cannot stand it, it makes me want be physically violent towards someone lol.

ReputationRep:
    I've actually noticed a lot of Asian rude bois making this mistake.

ReputationRep:
    Than maybe you are cleverer then me. :ashamed:

ReputationRep:
    I've seen so many people make that mistake. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I think it's because a lot of British state schools dont emphasise on teaching grammar.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, it's so cute when people, like OP, have a strong urge to enlighten people :daydreaming:

Someone can't distinguish the difference between than and then - so what? Be happy that you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop036)
    I've seen so many people make that mistake. Like I mentioned in a previous thread, I think it's because a lot of British state schools dont emphasise on teaching grammar.
    They don't teach much at all really, with basic reading/writing skills you could crash-course my entire school life up an till sixth form in a week. If they woke up the pupils they could move forward much faster, bad schools make you feel terrible (as a pupil).

The people who make these mistakes most frequently are British/American people spelling as they pronounce and young children from foreign countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pop_tart)
    what do you study? - sorry for the off topic question
    Business management.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends always writes 'weird' as 'wierd'. I don't understand why, it's the one spelling mistake she makes and it bugs me.

Another friend recently posted something about how she hates bad grammar and spelling, how frustrating it is etc., only she put an apostrophe before the s in every single word she pluralised. :faint:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, I just got some glorious neg rep in this thread :ahee:
    "For having 3 ys in your username."
    Sozzles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    As a bang-to-rights plagiarist, neither do you.
    You're just saying that because you're grouchy. I know you don't mean it so there are no hard feelings!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.