Turn on thread page Beta

Distinguish between 'then' and 'than'!! watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    Did it ever occur to you that the people making these mistakes actually probably don't give a ****?
    Well they should rather then pissing intellectual beings like me off. Also they may than be smarter then they were before after they begin to articulate correct responses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urkel)
    Actually, I was made a valid point, while you responded with an over-used joke.

And I'm guessing you did that, in the hope that it would allow you to avoid and ignore acknowledging that my post is right :rolleyes:
    I want you to, from now on, read posts on TSR, facebook etc specifically looking for this amalgamation and then you tell me there is no criterion to justify the existence of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Broderss)
    Well they should rather then pissing intellectual beings like me off. Also they may than be smarter then they were before after they begin to articulate correct responses.
    In my experience it's a lost cause; you can reiterate the their and they're and there and your and you're and its and it's and whatever you want but it don't make a difference :no:

Pet hate: "Could care less" instead of "couldn't care less", wtfwhy it doesn't even make sense :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Urkel)
    Since it appears that you didn't read my original post, I'll repeat myself.

1. It does happen too often. I mean it's basic English!
    2. The kind of people who actually do make the mistake won't care enough to read and learn from the post. In fact, I doubt most of them would give a damn at all . . .
    Exactly.

OP explained the difference between than and then - unbelievable, I'm sure he touched millions of people around the world with his message and they will never make such a blatant mistake anymore

...gosh, this thread is so pointless.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by reems23)
    There are many better ways to frustrate yourself. Get a boyfriend and do sex talk over the internet, or something.
    Ah, I'm sure there are, but having experienced a number of confusing situations after people using incorrect words/grammar, I've started to realise that it's not actually necessarily wrong to expect decent levels of grammar or spelling.

It's pretty much the only thing I actually get annoyed by, sad maybe? but better than getting worked up about something really pointless (as in, something that doesn't directly affect communication and something that can't easily be changed).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I can see why now. Read this: http://grammartips.homestead.com/than.html

There is only one thing worse than an incompetent grammar rant, and that is a stolen incompetent grammar rant. :toofunny:
    LOOOL:toofunny: :toofunny:

ReputationRep:
    I read this than realised that the OP is more of a retard then I am.

ReputationRep:
    OMG I always see people using then instead of than... it's not rocket science to learn how to use them!!

ReputationRep:
    So we're in agreement. Then is related to time, than is for comparison and OP is a thief that can't take it.

/thread

ReputationRep:
    I honestly don't know how people make this mistake. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBill)
    I honestly don't know how people make this mistake. Seriously.
    40,712 people

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.