Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so i've dyed my hair alot in the past but I do not do it very often now, but everytime I seem to put the dye on, after 10 minutes I can see a dull shade of purple in my hair! Does anyone know why this is? It's blonde dye btw. Thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    you've got condition known as "purplosis". Results from not having enough pigments in your hair. It can be cured though, however I would strongly advise you to see your homeopath. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Lol it might be the dye itself and something about warm tones and cool tones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samieee 8))
    Ok so i've dyed my hair alot in the past but I do not do it very often now, but everytime I seem to put the dye on, after 10 minutes I can see a dull shade of purple in my hair! Does anyone know why this is? It's blonde dye btw. Thanks xx
    Hey,

I'm sorry I can't be very technical but I can let you know of a similar experience I had/have.

After splitting from my ex, I wanted a new hairstyle so I went to the hairdressers and spent loads of money having it cut and dyed. I had a chunk of lower layers dyed blonde (my hair is naturally dark brown/black) so when my hair moved or was ruffled there were cool blonde streaks underneath. This was just on the right side.

When that began to grow out and I was a poor student who couldn't afford to go to a pro-salon again, I bought some cheap blonde dye and dyed it back to blonde, which worked fine. Then I got a little creative, rather naively and started adding colour to it. I had it red, purple, pink, blue, blonde and one time it was just a horrible orange.

I got a job over the summer so wanted a nice hairstyle, my friend (who is a qualified hairdresser) cut it for me and reccommended I use a special conditioner on the dyed section as it was dry and straw like from over dying. I did and dyed my whole head dark brown. It looked lovely for a few weeks but after a while the patch that I'd previously dyed started to go ginger. I was out in France and daren't go to a haridresser so I just kept dying it and eventually the ginger patch would reappear!

When I got back to the UK, I went to the initial salon who told me that because of the amount of bleach/dye I'd been using, my hair had taken on a different pigment in that area and had been damaged. I now use a deep conditioner by Nivea, it's like a mask I leave on the damaged area for 3 minutes after I've shampooed and conditioned. It's helping restore my hair. It's already softer and smoother and not straw-like anymore and with my hair being back to it's natural colour, the ginger patch is pretty bright, but if I'm honest, I quite like it. I've been told that the patch will eventually grow out and my hair will be all the same shade again.

I reccommend you go talk to a pro-hairdresser, buy a deep-conditioning mask and be patient. Try not to dye it for a while, even if that means walking round with dreadful roots or weird patches. Give your hair chance to recover and sort out it's pigmentation.

I hope this helps!! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    To Girl♥RadioHeart..
    I have done exactly the same thing! From being blonde once before I decided to have a change, and then I kept changing it. I had all sorts of colours and then when I dyed it very dark I dyed it back to blonde myself.. I think that did ALOT of damage to it. It's strange tho, cuz it's quite good condition now, but I don't want that to happen everytime I dye it! My roots do kinda blend in so I could possibly wait a while. I've tried masks before but they've never seemed to work.. I'll have to find the one that you use thankyou for your help + everyone else aswell. xx

ReputationRep:
    Hm, is it peroxide blonde?
    It's affected a few of my friends when they've put peroxide on, then gone over it with another colour - usually goes crazy colours!
    Just a thought. I may be completely wrong though

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it is.. but it's been like this for a while now and has only gone purple-ish in the past 3 dyes. I have used washing-up liquid to get most of it out, it works, but it ruins my hair! And then after that it's left a whitey/grey colour. :/

ReputationRep:
    mine too but it has weird stuff in it

ReputationRep:
    ooh nice:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm how often do you dye?
    And if I were in the situation where I had to put fairy liquid on my hair, I'd go to the hairdressers instead of using fairy liquid - that caaaan't be good for your hair

ReputationRep:
    To Girl♥RadioHeart..
    I have done exactly the same thing! From being blonde once before I decided to have a change, and then I kept changing it. I had all sorts of colours and then when I dyed it very dark I dyed it back to blonde myself.. I think that did ALOT of damage to it. It's strange tho, cuz it's quite good condition now, but I don't want that to happen everytime I dye it! My roots do kinda blend in so I could possibly wait a while. I've tried masks before but they've never seemed to work.. I'll have to find the one that you use thankyou for your help + everyone else aswell. xx
    Yeah, it's Nivea something, it's in a light blue tub with pink lining round the lid. I don't have it with me at the moment so I can't find it for you, sorry! I'd reccomend that or if you have some money, get a great one from a salon that'll work wonders!

ReputationRep:
    Not that often.. I say like every 2 months now. I know, it's terrible, that was the first time it went purple though that I used it.. I left the dye on for however long it was supposed to be left on for and so it went deep purple ¬______¬
    I will have to try that mask.. and I'll try a few others too. If it doesn't work then I will have to go to the hairdressers and fork out lots of money! And that is why I never go xx

ReputationRep:
    Not that often.. I say like every 2 months now. I know, it's terrible, that was the first time it went purple though that I used it.. I left the dye on for however long it was supposed to be left on for and so it went deep purple ¬______¬
    I will have to try that mask.. and I'll try a few others too. If it doesn't work then I will have to go to the hairdressers and fork out lots of money! And that is why I never go xx
    Couldn't you just ask advice from them?
    Or if you at LEAST get it done right the once, you could then do it yourself from then onwards? I reckon it's worth paying the money, unless you further want to damage your hair.
    Yeah 2 months isn't bad..hmmm...that's really strange, mind.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    If you've dyed it in the past some of the pigment might still be on your hair...I went to get my hair dyed at the hairdressers but it went an odd colour because of some black pigment still left in my hair from a home-dye I'd done months ago...we decided just to go for a completely different colour, redyed, and now it's all sorts of interesting shades :yep: does it really look so bad? Blonde/purple sounds kind cool :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I know.. it is strange, but I did used to dye it alot more often than I do now.. Countless times. And I probably will sometime soon, when I get enough money :] thankyou everyone xx

ReputationRep:
    I can't stop my beard from going ginger when it grows out, so I just shave it off.

True story.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thunder_chunky)
    I can't stop my beard from going ginger when it grows out, so I just shave it off.

True story.

HAHA! nice one. well you won't see me shaving my hair off thanks ;D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    you've got condition known as "purplosis". Results from not having enough pigments in your hair.
    AsIF I just googled that.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the solutions are:
    1) get it done properly at a salon
    2) let it grow out and do not dye it again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    you've got condition known as "purplosis". Results from not having enough pigments in your hair. It can be cured though, however I would strongly advise you to see your homeopath. :yep:
    Why is your hair pink

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.