Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

I recieved my offer from Exeter early January (:woo:)

Problem is, with my subjects: I'm doing one A-Level in a year (AS+A2) and self-studying one A2 (the other is fine, normal sorta thing ha). So I'm not entirely sure whether I'm actually going to get my AA, given the circumstances...

So how lenient would Exeter be if say I got AB? (I've already got an A at A-Level so I need to get AA between these 3 subjects..)

ReputationRep:
    I'd be interested to know the answer to this as well

ReputationRep:
    There are so many threads asking this question!!! Use the search function. But just to go through the pains again......

It depends on numerous factors;
    1. How competitive your course is, and how many people applied that year.
    2. How many people met the grade requirements for your course.
    3. How many people missed the grade requirements for your course.
    4. Whether they liked your Personal Statement.

Exeter is becoming increasingly popular, and courses like Law and Business Management have always been highly competitive. If you miss your offer, you might get in. But I wouldn't rely on it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends how many got offers and how many missed them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haaaza23)
    Hey all,

I recieved my offer from Exeter early January (:woo:)

Problem is, with my subjects: I'm doing one A-Level in a year (AS+A2) and self-studying one A2 (the other is fine, normal sorta thing ha). So I'm not entirely sure whether I'm actually going to get my AA, given the circumstances...

So how lenient would Exeter be if say I got AB? (I've already got an A at A-Level so I need to get AA between these 3 subjects..)

That's so crazy that we're doing very similar things (one A-level in a year and another A2, offer of AA from Exeter...). I don't know about Exeter's leniency- I think it probably depends on the subject, but considering how high your offer is it's safe to assume it's pretty competitive and therefore there probably isn't much room for manouvre- but I thought I'd point out how similar our situations are. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, they will be over subscribed, again. I really don't think the will be lenient, especially after the are having to take on many people the gave offers to last year and messed up so now have to have 2010 entry.

ReputationRep:
    My course is Law (European, German Magister)...I'm not too sure how popular the course is..

ReputationRep:
    My course is Law (European, German Magister)...I'm not too sure how popular the course is..
    A Law course will always be popular. I'm sorry to say that if you miss your grades, I don't think you have a good chance of being let in. Especially not with the A* grade around now too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    A Law course will always be popular. I'm sorry to say that if you miss your grades, I don't think you have a good chance of being let in. Especially not with the A* grade around now too.
    I thought the magister/maitrese courses aren't as popular..

ReputationRep:
    Admissions officer/ physics professor talked about this today when I went up there...

Since for every course they give out more offers than they have places, they depend upon people not putting them as firm/missing their grades to get the right quota. So, if for example they have 85 places, and 100 people firmed them, then it'd depend entirely on the grades of those people. If 85+ get AAA then you've got no chance. However, if say, 40 people got AAA, then they'd get a list of the people left who didn't meet the offer, order them by grades/ucas points, and go down the list until they met the quota. So, really, it's very subjective to what actually happens. You're more likely to get a place if you missed your offer if you have a fourth A-level, or something similar. Depends on that, or how much they want you. So, you really can't tell. Personally, if you don't think you'll make the grades, then I wouldn't risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Admissions officer/ physics professor talked about this today when I went up there...

Since for every course they give out more offers than they have places, they depend upon people not putting them as firm/missing their grades to get the right quota. So, if for example they have 85 places, and 100 people firmed them, then it'd depend entirely on the grades of those people. If 85+ get AAA then you've got no chance. However, if say, 40 people got AAA, then they'd get a list of the people left who didn't meet the offer, order them by grades/ucas points, and go down the list until they met the quota. So, really, it's very subjective to what actually happens. You're more likely to get a place if you missed your offer if you have a fourth A-level, or something similar. Depends on that, or how much they want you. So, you really can't tell. Personally, if you don't think you'll make the grades, then I wouldn't risk it.
    Wow thanks for that

It's not that I'm not confident in getting the grades, it's just; I have unusual circumstances compared to most other people. Maybe I should talk to the law admissions tutor on my open day and she what she has to say.

ReputationRep:
    Wow thanks for that

It's not that I'm not confident in getting the grades, it's just; I have unusual circumstances compared to most other people. Maybe I should talk to the law admissions tutor on my open day and she what she has to say.
    Yeah, that'd be best. :3 Exeter's a lovely place anyway, you should visit and then see the home of the climbing club XD

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that'd be best. :3 Exeter's a lovely place anyway, you should visit and then see the home of the climbing club XD
    climbing club? Really?!

ReputationRep:
    climbing club? Really?!
    Mhm, it's a tilted climbing wall in a secluded shed with matresses under, and all the handholds have funny names (the highest one is called "blood", ominous!) Looks fun

ReputationRep:
    Mhm, it's a tilted climbing wall in a secluded shed with matresses under, and all the handholds have funny names (the highest one is called "blood", ominous!) Looks fun
    haha that sounds awesome!
    I will go to Exeter ha :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I thought the magister/maitrese courses aren't as popular..
    Ok, I'll rephrase :rolleyes: .... any Law course will always be popular. Law is competitive. End of.

ReputationRep:
    When i started in 2005, we were told that for every person who got a place on our course, 11 people did not. I do also know that a lot of people were offered AAB whereas i was offered ABB, and considering my A levels were Fine Art Textiles, Media and Psychology, i know i was very lucky to get a place.

As sophisticated said, there are many factors affecting whether or not you will get your place - but i believe i got my offer solely based on my personal statement. My friend who applied for the same course, who actually had A's in AS Business studies and Economics and was predicted A's at A level, was not even offered a place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boho)
    When i started in 2005, we were told that for every person who got a place on our course, 11 people did not. I do also know that a lot of people were offered AAB whereas i was offered ABB, and considering my A levels were Fine Art Textiles, Media and Psychology, i know i was very lucky to get a place.

As sophisticated said, there are many factors affecting whether or not you will get your place - but i believe i got my offer solely based on my personal statement. My friend who applied for the same course, who actually had A's in AS Business studies and Economics and was predicted A's at A level, was not even offered a place.
    Yep... I didn't get my exact grade requirements. I was offered ABB, and I got ABB, but they wanted the A in English, and instead I got the A in Religious Studies. But was let in regardless, which was probably down to my Personal Statement, and the fact that my course wasn't that popular then (Flexible Combined Honours.) If I'd been studying straight English instead of combined, then I know I wouldn't have stood a chance, because English, like Law, will always be a heavily oversubscribed course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sophisticated)
    Yep... I didn't get my exact grade requirements. I was offered ABB, and I got ABB, but they wanted the A in English, and instead I got the A in Religious Studies. But was let in regardless, which was probably down to my Personal Statement, and the fact that my course wasn't that popular then (Flexible Combined Honours.) If I'd been studying straight English instead of combined, then I know I wouldn't have stood a chance, because English, like Law, will always be a heavily oversubscribed course.
    sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how likely do you think it is to get into exeter with AAB, (B maths) when their offer was AAA for Accounting and Finance, and i also have a pass at art foundation. I know it was said erlier about the different contributing factors, but i dont kno the answers to those factors, so i guess i'm looking for some sort of informed opinion...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joe_ex)
    sorry to resurrect an old thread, but how likely do you think it is to get into exeter with AAB, (B maths) when their offer was AAA for Accounting and Finance, and i also have a pass at art foundation. I know it was said erlier about the different contributing factors, but i dont kno the answers to those factors, so i guess i'm looking for some sort of informed opinion...?
    Depends. If they can fill the course with people who got AAA then they will do that. If other people fail to meet the grades too (considering there is more than one applicant for each place, mind you), then you might stand a chance, depending on your personal statement and how good it is. Accounting and Finance is a popular course, I wouldn't get your hopes up of acceptance with AAB, especially if the B was in Maths, which is a crucial skill for Accounting. But like I said, nobody could tell you until the day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 27, 2010

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
If a uni gives me an unconditional offer they....
Useful resources

Articles:

University of Exeter Guide

Accommodation profiles:

Fresh Student Living

Fresh Student Living

Fresh provide student accommodation across the country in a number of locations.

Quick Link:

Unanswered University of Exeter Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.