Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Accents of the English, and Pilgrims. watch

On another board I post on someone wrote this:

I recently heard some British historian discussing American and British history. And he said something that I found interesting. In colonial times, the Brits spoke like we speak now. Our accent is a British accent. We brought this accent to America with us, and kept it. I suppose because they're so much smaller, a smaller population, they're susceptible to these kinds of cultural changes at a greater rate. Whereas we are like a massive lumbering ship that can't maneuver so quickly.
    Then he said:

The accent that the pilgrims brought to America with them, is a lot like how Americans speak today. That's the point. It's how Europeans spoke back then. Because Britain is vastly smaller, with a much smaller population, these kinds of changes are amplified and accelerated.
    And I really disagreed.
    I can't think of any dialect or accent back then or now that was anything like or could have evolved that quickly into what we now know as the American accent.

Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.