The Student Room Group

Not sure what to do...

Hi.

I applied for law this year with predicted grades of 3 A*s and was pretty confident of getting offers, and was generally pretty excited to take on law. Anyway I applied to LSE, Durham, Nottingham, Kings College London and Warwick. So yeah here I am now with 2 rejections from LSE and Durham with more probably coming because I got a crappy 15 in the LNAT and I'm generally feeling sorry for myself. I don't know if I should defer and try something else or just wait and see what happens because kings and notts usually rely on LNAT quite a bit from what I've read.

I would respect any advice from people on what you would do, thanks.
Reply 1
lolman92
Hi.

I applied for law this year with predicted grades of 3 A*s and was pretty confident of getting offers, and was generally pretty excited to take on law. Anyway I applied to LSE, Durham, Nottingham, Kings College London and Warwick. So yeah here I am now with 2 rejections from LSE and Durham with more probably coming because I got a crappy 15 in the LNAT and I'm generally feeling sorry for myself. I don't know if I should defer and try something else or just wait and see what happens because kings and notts usually rely on LNAT quite a bit from what I've read.

I would respect any advice from people on what you would do, thanks.

It's tough that you were rejected at LSE, as they don't actually use the LNAT. It's possible something else in your application just didn't scan right, or that other people were that bit better. Warwick might be slightly less competitive, so I wouldn't necessarily give up yet. Kings with a 15 in your LNAT is going to be tough unless something else in your application was sterling. You did apply for incredibly competitive courses--having Warwick and LSE as your only non-LNAT options was a big gamble. For now, you need to wait to hear from Warwick, Notts, and KCL. It's a good sign that none of them have rejected you out of hand so far.

If you don't get an offer at any of these, then you need to start considering your options. I think they boil down to: 1. look for a place in clearing or extra (for some degree, probably not law); 2. take a gap year and reapply for law with your marks in hand; or 3. take a gap year and reapply for a different subject (again, marks in hand). If you do choose to take a gap year, take all the feedback you get to heart. Be a bit more conservative with your application, in terms of applying for places with typical offers lower than your actual marks. You might consider Hull, or some of the redbricks. While some of these courses still ask for AAA, they might be slightly less competitive and reject fewer candidates who are predicted/have achieved AAA. Get more work experience, or read more, so that your personal statement demonstrates real dedication to the subject. Spend your gap year doing something really worthwhile. Most of all, however, pay attention to all the feedback you get and learn from it. I'm sorry you're in such a tough position, but don't give up hope yet.

You still have two unis to hear from, you have clearing and extra to go through if you don't get offers at either, and worst case scenario you have to plan a gap year of some kind. Make the most of the opportunity, and try not to be too disappointed by the rejections--everyone gets rejected, and one year more before starting university is by no means a permanent setback. For now, concentrate on meeting your predictions so you have a strong hand to play whether you have to reapply or not.

Best of luck.
Reply 2
Thanks for the response. I'm considering a year out then applying for a different course, but realistically do I have a good chance at getting to Warwick, as it's my preferred option. On the work experience front, I've did a few placements in London with law firms, should I have done more? Thanks again
Reply 3
lolman92
Thanks for the response. I'm considering a year out then applying for a different course, but realistically do I have a good chance at getting to Warwick, as it's my preferred option. On the work experience front, I've did a few placements in London with law firms, should I have done more? Thanks again

I can't really speak to your chances at Warwick. I think a few placements is probably plenty--I had no work experience when I applied, and my Cambridge interviewer said (in so many words) "there's no reason why you should have." Oxbridge take things slightly differently than other unis, but I don't think more will necessarily make a huge difference. I would suggest that you look over your PS again and see how you're describing your work experience. I think if you're set on law, you should take a year out and reapply (including at Warwick, if you're rejected there this time), but with a slightly less ambitious set of choices.

Latest

Trending

Trending