Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Implanon experiences watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be getting the contraceptive implant on Monday, and am pretty apprehensive about the procedure. I don't deal well with pain.

Does anyone have stories about their experience with the implant they could share?

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, mine hurt quite a bit and I had a sore arm for about 4 days. But that was just because I wasn't numbed properly (the guy inserting it had never done the procedure before and was being talked through it by another doctor - Just my luck :rolleyes:). If you're worried, just ask for someone experience in implants.

However, other than the part of my arm that wasn't numbed enough, I couldn't feel a thing. I'm a complete wuss when it comes to pain and I hate needles too, and it wasn't too bad for me. Doesn't take long at all either.

Make sure you go with someone if you're not too great with pain/needles. I took my bf and intended to get a bus home, but ended up feeling sick and nearly blacking out :o:, so I'm glad he was there to call my mom for a lift!

ReputationRep:
    The anaesthetic needle just felt like a pinch or a scratch, and after that I felt nothing at all. Not a thing. And it was over in just a couple of minutes. I felt completely fine afterwards. I didn't bruise much and it wasn't sore at all unless I actually poked at it. The hole they make is tiny, no scalpels involved, it barely bled at all. It was less painful than most of the jabs I've had. Have you ever had a blood test? I'd say it's even less painful than that.

ReputationRep:
    anyone from Ireland got the Implant? I was thinking about getting it but it doesnt appear to be a commonly used form of contraception here.

ReputationRep:
    They use local anaesthetic so the actual procedure doesn't hurt at all. It was a bit painful after the anaesthetic wore off and my arm swelled up so much that i couldn't get my watch or ring off and i had to ask my mum to loosen the bandage. But really it so worth it, no periods and once you have got over th novelty of being able to feel it in your arm and having loads of mates come up saying can i feel you arm you can hardly tell its there. It's due out in May and i'm terrified.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I've just had it done about an hour ago. The anaesthetic hurt like hell but after that stopped stinging it was fine. It's ok so far....

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to get the coil fitted on Monday. I went a couple of weeks ago but it didn't work, they couldn't open my cervix or something! Nightmare! So if it doesn't work this time either I'm going to ask them to give me the implant. It is more appealing to have something in your arm than your uterus but I'm worried about the side effects of the implanon.

ReputationRep:
    I got it last week, the sorest part was the local anaesthetic injection. After that, couldn't feel much except a kinda uncomfortable prodding. It bruised quite badly and it's still a bit tender, but it was fine.

I also found out you can still use the pill if you want to skip a period, which is handy.

ReputationRep:
    Procedure was fine for me. Local anaesthetic stings a tiny bit, and when they put the actual implant in the initial piercing of the skin hurt a tiny bit, but apart from that it was just like having a bruise on my arm for a few days.

Afterwards, at BMI 29-30ish I didn't have a period for 6 months and after that they were every few months. I then lost weight and at BMI 22-23ish they were every two weeks and quite heavy. I went on the pill for 3 months which wasn't fun (double hormones, ouch!) which settled them a bit, and then started gaining weight, and now at BMI 27ish they're every month or two.

ReputationRep:
    Anaesthetic hurt the most, you can't feel the actual implant go in. Your arm will hurt for a couple of days and you might need to loosen the bandage. I suggest sleeping with your arm out on a pillow at night.
    I've had mine in about 5 weeks now and have had spotting for 2 weeks. Bit annoying but worth it in the end!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies ladies
    I got it done on Thursday, and just as you all said, no pain what so ever except for the tiny prick of the anaesthetic. I was terrified because I had to pick it up from the chemist, had a peek and the needle was huuuuge.
    It was pretty sore for a few days, but now the steri strips are off and the bruising is going down.
    It's just hit me that now it's in, I have to have it taken out eventually. Eeeeek!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.