The Student Room Group

Work experience in Solihull?

Hi, i'm Greg and im 15, 16 in a few weeks, in year 11 at school.
As far back as i can remember, i've wanted to become a vet, i've never even considered doing anything else with my life.

So, i work for 3 hours each sunday at an animal rescue centre, and have done for the last year and a half. I recently secured a week's work experience in a veterinary practice about 30 minutes away. :woo:

So my question is, does anyone know of anywhere in the solihull/knowle area that will accept me for work experience?
Vets, kennels, catteries, lambing, cattle farms, pig farms, abbatoirs, anything! :smile:

If anyone does, could i have the names of contacts needed etc? That would be fantastic!

And to anyone else, farms etc that will take me for experience for a week while my family stays on holiday on site would be great, i know this isn't very likely, but it's worth asking!

Thanks in advance, Greg
Reply 1
Hi, i'm from the solihull area, whats the name of the practice you have secured?

I work at a vets in Damson Wood (by the Land Rover) they take people for work experience, its a really nice, small practice, but you need to write a decent letter to them, detailing your previous work exp(animal rescue centre), why you want to go etc... If you're interested PM me and i'll give you their address and the name of the head nurse, to send your letter too.

Then, the kennels/cattery I went to is Top Hat 'n' Tails, its in Bickenhill, by birmingham airport, i just rang up to secure that placement.

The dairy farm I went to is in Berkswell, so if your interested i'll give you their details too.

I also went to 608 vets, the branch right text to solihull town centre, on the Warwick Road, but i can't remember who to contact, but they definately take people :smile:

All my other placements were a good drive away, so thats all i can help you with. :smile:
Reply 2
I'm from Solihull as well, although I know tosh all about vet placements.

Have you considered Birmingham dogs home? It's right next to Moor St station, and thus on the line from Solihull.
Reply 3
Hello and welcome :smile:

Im from Coventry - obviously you dnt want to travel far to get most of your work experience, however if you are willing to travel a little way I have done work experience at the Rugby polo club, very good experience if you can ride, and allows you to see the other end of the horse world ...

They have static caravans there and they offered me the opportunity to stay over. (I didnt as it wasnt a particully long drive home for me.) Worth looking into if you are a horsey person :smile:
Hey I'm from Wythall which is just outside Solihull and there's a pretty good vets near me by Becketts Farm(you've probably heard of that), err yeah I can' think what its called but its big and seems to be fairly decent.

The only problem is I'm not sure how easy it would be for you to get there as there's only one bus (175) that runs past it.
Reply 5
wythall animal sanctuary, amicus vets (shirley, not sure if they do work experience but worth a try, they're good with exotics too), cats protection league
Willows!! that place is epic! Wouldn't wana work there myself since its smallies, but still went for open day, ******* incredible!!!
Reply 7
A friend of mine does her work experience at Sheldon Country Park near the airport and tells me it's really nice there. May be worth looking into.
Hi Becky, could you possible send me this information as well? Also struggling to find experience in Solihull!
yes

Quick Reply

Latest