Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders. The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.

Therefore, I think that working in a country like that would result in me supporting a vile regime. I would be going from a superior country to there, and would be risking my safety.

Do you think I'm silly in holding these views?

ReputationRep:
    yes. if you were angry about human rights, why not north korea? oh yeah, its not sensational enough. what a stupid question. They were not wrong to execute that man. It was their law, everytime you go on a plane you are asked if you are carrying anything that you have not packed yourself. He lied. So he died. Mental illness or not.

(Original post by Fynch101)
    yes. if you were angry about human rights, why not north korea? oh yeah, its not sensational enough. what a stupid question. They were not wrong to execute that man. It was their law, everytime you go on a plane you are asked if you are carrying anything that you have not packed yourself. He lied. So he died. Mental illness or not.
    Your the opposite of wine, you get more stupid ideas with time.

ReputationRep:
    North Korea's worse than China, I know that, but I'm assuming you didn't read the first line of the post. I wasn't given the opportunity to work in NK. If I was, I wouldn't go there either.

ReputationRep:
    His bipolar was a load of bolloxs. There seemed no argument that he was guilty of trying to poison the chinese people with his drugs. Just the sentence. Well next time (damn bit late for him) don't smuggle drugs into a country who do not tolerate drug smuggling scum. Their country ,their laws, and a waster got topped, boo hoo. Pity we can't export one or two of their judges over here. A violent rapist got 3 yrs in this country,we send men to prison for beating up a man who had just robbed and attacked their families, are we in a postition to pontificate over the chinese?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Your the opposite of wine, you get more stupid ideas with time.
    are you wordsworth in disguise? and back from the dead?

are you wordsworth in disguise? and back from the dead?
    You bet.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't like the country and their laws. I have no plans to ever visit.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly, I don't think China gives a **** to be honest?

:unsure:

Me too. No more Chinese takeaways for me :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, well maybe China is going to boycott you. How do you like them apples?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassylady)
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders. The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.

Therefore, I think that working in a country like that would result in me supporting a vile regime. I would be going from a superior country to there, and would be risking my safety.

He wasn't British, he was from Pakistan, held a green card and was a citizen of Poland at the time of arrest.

ReputationRep:
    I went to china to teach, only for a short time I will admit, but I would say you don't really need to worry about your safety all that much, the people of china were so welcoming and friendly, I understand that you don't agree with the government and how the country is run but it is an amazing opportunity to see somewhere so different to what you're used to.

I think you might regret not doing this because its such a great opportunity, but if your views are really that strong then I don't blame you really.

ReputationRep:

tbh if thats what you think they good on you...but I dont think it'll bother China much.
    If given the chance, would you go to America?..They are just as bad if you look at the amount of innocent people that have died in Pakistan/Afghanistan etc..

ReputationRep:
    North Korea's worse than China, I know that, but I'm assuming you didn't read the first line of the post. I wasn't given the opportunity to work in NK. If I was, I wouldn't go there either.
    You should go to these countries and protest - make a difference. Or at the least try and indoctrinate the children you teach against the state.

(Original post by Carl)
    You should go to these countries and protest - make a difference. Or at the least try and indoctrinate the children you teach against the state.
    And wind up in a goddamn gulag? No thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hi OP
    bye bye OP
    :smokin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CandyFlipper)
    And wind up in a goddamn gulag? No thanks!
    What's wrong with the gulags? :rolleyes:

Another thread bites the dust.

ReputationRep:

I think the person in question might have disagreed with you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.