Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomasmc135)
    He wasn't British, he was from Pakistan, held a green card and was a citizen of Poland at the time of arrest.
    Good shout. But even if he was British, he still broke Chinese law, and hence was subject to Chinese punishment. Yes, it's fair enough that people may feel that he should have received a lesser punishment, as they are used to the British system, and believed that he was British. But China did not murder him.

They strictly enforced their law on narcotics, which is perfectly just, and that should be commended if anything. The British have no right in pressuring China to go easy on offenders, especially after looking at the history of Britain and the narcotics trade, as well as the Opium Wars. It's this institutionalised acceptance of drug use in Britain that China wants to avoid.

ReputationRep:
    I'm boycotting Britain because they love invading other people's countries!

ReputationRep:
    The Chinese Government make me laugh sometimes.

"We can't cut emissions! We're just a poor developing country unlike the US, the world's only superpower. 2nd largest economy in the world? We're still developing though."

"We didn't hack all those human rights activists' email accounts!"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassylady)
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders. The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.

Therefore, I think that working in a country like that would result in me supporting a vile regime. I would be going from a superior country to there, and would be risking my safety.

Do you think I'm silly in holding these views?
    Your assuming their is a universal set of ethics/Human rights? Many people would disagree and not just the Chinnese Government. Also, The british man who was executed (which I disagreed with) the idea of soverignty means it wa sin their right to executed them for breaking Chinese law.

I personally think this boycott is frankly pointless, you refuse to lend your service but quite happy to give them your money? By buying Chinese goods you are effectively supporting their regime. Either boycott it all or boycott nothing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    The Chinese Government make me laugh sometimes.

"We can't cut emissions! We're just a poor developing country unlike the US, the world's only superpower. 2nd largest economy in the world? We're still developing though."
    In terms of GDP per capita, China is actually in the 80's or 90's in world rankings, according to world bank figures. Remember, that they have over 1.5 billion people They're perfectly justified in saying that they are still developing.

America, on the other hand, has no excuse. Their reluctance to cut emissions and in the past commit to agreements like Kyoto Protocol mean that you should be judging them much more than China, as they actually are a highly developed nation already.

ReputationRep:
    I appreciate your sentiment OP but I'm afraid that the country you wish to boycott is probably the hardest to in this modern era.

Everything cheap is manufactured there and I think that your efforts would probably be better spent petitioning parliament to get tougher with China, writing letters to your MEP to get the issue into Europe and supporting charities that argue your cause.

There isn't much that is likely to come of it but at least you're doing your bit for what you think is right, and although I don't agree with a boycott of China, standing up for your views is laudable and good on you for it.

Idiotic...And if you break their laws, you pay their consequences...

ReputationRep:
    my profile picture was taken at the temple of heaven in china, AND I SURVIVED

ReputationRep:
    I went to China last month and I can assure you it is far more developing and prosper than many people underestimate. I plan to go back very soon.

Of course, it is still a Communist party country and limits peoples' freedom of speech. You boycotting China won't do anything to them.

ReputationRep:
    *Yawn*

Good for you OP..

ReputationRep:
    Why is a british person more important than any other person, and I'm sure china will miss you. :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    They've even taken on google now.

GOOGLE!

ReputationRep:
    china bad

ReputationRep:
    You'd be helping the oppressed not the oppressors, idiots! Perhaps their improvement in English could have opened a path for one or two students to emigrate to better country. China is a dictatorship after all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paddyman4)
    "We didn't hack all those human rights activists' email accounts!"
    They didn't. Patriotic (no I didn't think they existed either) Chinese hackers did which they then handed to the government for unofficial benefits. That way you can't blame the Government.

ReputationRep:
    OP, your extreme meanness has hurt China's feelings. You cut 'em real deep.
    /sarcasm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    Idiotic...And if you break their laws, you pay their consequences...
    This. Following on from my last post...

The cheap but blunt dogma: 'their land, their rules' certainly applies here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fynch101)
    yes. if you were angry about human rights, why not north korea? oh yeah, its not sensational enough. what a stupid question. They were not wrong to execute that man. It was their law, everytime you go on a plane you are asked if you are carrying anything that you have not packed yourself. He lied. So he died. Mental illness or not.
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)

His bipolar was a load of bolloxs. There seemed no argument that he was guilty of trying to poison the chinese people with his drugs. Just the sentence. Well next time (damn bit late for him) don't smuggle drugs into a country who do not tolerate drug smuggling scum. Their country ,their laws, and a waster got topped, boo hoo. Pity we can't export one or two of their judges over here. A violent rapist got 3 yrs in this country,we send men to prison for beating up a man who had just robbed and attacked their families, are we in a postition to pontificate over the chinese?
    Here bloody here!!

ReputationRep:
    What happened to one person does not mean it will happen to you - if you do nothing wrong, of course.
    Sure, the Chinese government is quite corrupt and harsh, but just because China's government is bad, doesn't mean the country and the people are bad. We judge other countries on our standards which might not apply to them, and if it's any different from over here, we'd see them in a bad light.
    I don't think people should judge on what is heard here until they've seen it for themselves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaughingBro)
    I'm boycotting Britain because they love invading other people's countries!
    definitely agree with you.
    What have the chinese people or public done to anyone else?/? they don't invade other countries and bomb civilians in their own country for no wrong-doing.
    the americans and brits invaded:
    Vietname only americans did (where they learned 2+2=4, not 5 :yep: )
    Afghanistan(where they wont any get oil, because the civilians are clever&patients)
    Iraq (they didn't manage to get the oil contracts.)
    now Pakistan
    now Yemen
    now every Islamic nation!!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.