Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    sassylady...i admire your convictions. But you've been banned i see

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sassylady)
    I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders.
    If the policies serve to protect the people, what is uncivilised about it?

The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.
    Ha. China can kill a Chinese person but not an English person because... oh, what's the actual difference again? If the Englishman committed a crime punishable by death in China, why should he receive special treatment?

ReputationRep:
    The real question we need to ask is: Who the hell goes to China to take drugs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anglerfish)
    Ha. China can kill a Chinese person but not an English person because... oh, what's the actual difference again? If the Englishman committed a crime punishable by death in China, why should he receive special treatment?
    LOL is their law, but it has its problems too and i'm dissapointed that they didn't give the man a second medical assesement to determine whether he is mental for real. I agree that if you are in china you respect the law, but this case was different if it wasn't for the mental argument i wouldn't have voiced any concerns at all and would probably back China to excute drug lords/smugglers

They lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them.
    Really? I mean, have you written to the embassy because I'm sure without your respect China may very well just not be able to continue and with the economy the way it is in China then you not going on a trip there but somebody else going instead means they must really be feeling the pinch.

This thread must surely be the straw that breaks the camels back for the weak and vulnerable Chinese government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    The real question we need to ask is: Who the hell goes to China to take drugs?
    I'd love to go to a proper Chinese opium den and play Mah-Jong, but I don't think they exist anymore

ReputationRep:
    i think most of the people who say something bad about China are those who have never been to China before, they are ignorant about it, they just get some twist information from theirs media.
    people who have actually been to China can understand more about it, as some posters above who have been there did say something true about China.
    Words are but wind, but seeing is believing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl)
    I'd love to go to a proper Chinese opium den and play Mah-Jong, but I don't think they exist anymore
    He was blatently only going out there to get coked up and bend over prositutes that would do ANYTHING for very little money.
    Way of the Buddha.

ReputationRep:
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

I see China as comprising part of the uncivilised world, owing to its appalling record on human rights and censorship within its borders. The fact that they executed one of our citizens last year reaffirmed this to me. What they do to their own citizens is their own business, but when they murdered a British person they lost the last scrap of respect that I had for them. I don't think he should have been let free, but imprisoned for life in a harsh Chinese jail.

Therefore, I think that working in a country like that would result in me supporting a vile regime. I would be going from a superior country to there, and would be risking my safety.

Do you think I'm silly in holding these views?
    and what leg has britain and america got to stand on... they let there own people be "free" so to speakk, but go to foreign countries and kill and rape and torture innocent civilians for oil and money and for whatever other reasons they need to fulfill there secret agendas
    gtfo before i slap you into sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunwolf)
    My own knowledge.

Care to disprove it if it offends you so much?
    lets give a real **** about this :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ludwig Wittgenstein)
    He was blatently only going out there to get coked up and bend over prositutes that would do ANYTHING for very little money.
    Way of the Buddha.
    Mr. Wittgenstein, this is most irregular. The views you have expressed in this discussion are not compatible with your character or your philosophy. I can only conclude, from this and the fact that you died over half a century ago, that YOU SIR, ARE AN IMPOSTER.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    His bipolar was a load of bolloxs. There seemed no argument that he was guilty of trying to poison the chinese people with his drugs. Just the sentence. Well next time (damn bit late for him) don't smuggle drugs into a country who do not tolerate drug smuggling scum. Their country ,their laws, and a waster got topped, boo hoo. Pity we can't export one or two of their judges over here. A violent rapist got 3 yrs in this country,we send men to prison for beating up a man who had just robbed and attacked their families, are we in a postition to pontificate over the chinese?
    :woo: i agree we're too lenient but perhaps the Chinese should practice better rights for their people not necessarily copy western rules but come up with something that protects the desires of the individual.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunwolf)
    My own knowledge.

Care to disprove it if it offends you so much?
    it doesn't offend me, but it just seems extremely ignorant of you to think that of one of the worlds fastest developing countries. who are you to say that most of China's population are living life as peasants, what era are you living in?!

ReputationRep:
    This summer, I was given the opportunity to go to China and teach English there with a friend of my mother's. I turned it down, not because I don't think it would be a good opportunity, but because I'm on a 'boycott' of China. I know I'll still have to buy Chinese goods etc, but I refuse to give the country my tourism.

Do you think I'm silly in holding these views?
    So let me get this, you are boycotting china but are still going to buy their goods, so basically you are doing what everyone who hasen't gone to china is doing. Good for you.

I'm also boycotting china as I have never been there.

P.S. But, lol either you are a troll, a idiot, someone lazy or all three.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt sound like you had any respect for them in the first place so why say it? Do you expect everyone country to be run as ours is? We are not superior, every country holds their own. They have their law, and when anyone is in that country, they abide by it. Drugs - Pete Doherty (whatever his name is) has been in the news recently. The law did sh** all when he was caught with drugs. Every country has faults in law, individual judges whatever.. But we are so caught up in political correctness that were not even sentencing those who deserve long sentences a tenth of what they deserve.
    And you want to boycott their products? You may be against the regime, but are you against the people? The people who may be working under horrendous conditions.. Like its their fault.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.