Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Iraq Inquiry: Anyone watching the Tony Blair interview? watch

ReputationRep:
    It was a pretty powerful performance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    Iraqis TODAY enjoy a much better standard of life than they did under saddam.

And no, those were the days of Western imperialism and postimperialism. Times are very different now.
    My friend preferred it when the electricity didn't cut out...

ReputationRep:
    And this is why Tony Blair was electable as a Prime Minister. He's good at public speaking and shines on the camera. Just like Barack. Even a PR speaker for a SME company must be able to do this. Why do we have stuttering Gordon Brown!?

ReputationRep:
    He made an unpopular decision for economic and political reasons, not humanitarian ones.

However, this decision has even by today helped Iraqis and will a generation down the line make them thankful.

I think Iraq was the right war for the wrong reasons.

However, just so you know, i do hate Blair, for various other reasons, so i do agree that he's an undemocratic self serving prick :king1:
    You don't trade lives for economics.

ReputationRep:
    I wish I was like Blair...so confident and good at lying.

(Original post by Stalin)
    You don't trade lives for economics.
    Progress doesn't come without cost .

And it's not just economics. It's social liberation and liberalization too. And those are almost certainly worth lives.

Can I ask where you all watched it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    What a performance, so smooth- he's a PR fairytale. The middle ground would still vote for him tommorow. Who said you can't polish a turd? :rolleyes:

(Original post by Amit92)
    I wish I was like Blair...so confident and good at lying.
    What did he lie about?

ReputationRep:
    Progress doesn't come without cost .

And it's not just economics. It's social liberation and liberalization too. And those are almost certainly worth lives.
    An astronomical cost if I may say so myself.

Hundreds of thousands more people have died for this 'liberation' than would've died had we not removed Saddam. Moreover, the vast majority of Iraqis never wanted to be 'liberated' in the first place. As soon as the Americans leave, the ministers from the Green Zone will be hanging from lamp-posts, which will just about say how successful the operation was.

He made an unpopular decision for economic and political reasons, not humanitarian ones.

However, this decision has even by today helped Iraqis and will a generation down the line make them thankful.

I think Iraq was the right war for the wrong reasons.

However, just so you know, i do hate Blair, for various other reasons, so i do agree that he's an undemocratic self serving prick :king1:
    Oh I agree with most of this post I can't rep you again just yet ... heh

But, out of interest, what other reason do you have for disliking Blair?

(Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Oh I agree with most of this post I can't rep you again just yet ... heh

But, out of interest, what other reason do you have for disliking Blair?
    Mostly his faith agenda, interest group vote pandering and letting Brown let the UK economy grow at 3% for 2% inflation when he could've let it grow at 4-5% for 5-6% inflation which is just as healthy. Also the fact that when he was in the perfect place to initiate democratic reform and make Britain a proportionally represented country, he didn't, and no we'll have another decade or two of Tory rule before that happens.

Oh also, the ridiculous antiterror laws :p:

(Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    Can I ask where you all watched it? :confused:
    sky news and bbc news
    501 and 503/504 on sky.

ReputationRep:
    He'll get away with it. His interview is filled with a load of fabricated lies. Oh gosh how he exasperates me!

(Original post by Stalin)
    An astronomical cost if I may say so myself.

Hundreds of thousands more people have died for this 'liberation' than would've died had we not removed Saddam. Moreover, the vast majority of Iraqis never wanted to be 'liberated' in the first place. As soon as the Americans leave, the ministers from the Green Zone will be hanging from lamp-posts, which will just about say how successful the operation was.
    As opposed to millions of Iraqis that would've lived pitiable worthless lives at the whim of their insane ruler?

Ofcourse they didn't. No country wants another imposing anything upon it, no matter how positive, beneficial or helpful. But Iraqis a generation or two down the line will appreciate the debt they owe to UN defying neo colonialist arsewipes like Bush, if for nothing else than giving them the circumstances and chances to get out of their backward ruts and live in a liberal modern democracy (relatively speaking; it is still the middle east).

And no, that is incorrect. The 'green zone politicians' enjoy a good degree of authority and deference from the people (they are hardly American puppets anymore) and American troops have been progressively relegated to barracks away from serious peacekeeping while Iraqi troops take over.

It's turned out rather well, regardless of the selfish reasons to go in

ReputationRep:
    Lot of angry people in this thread who think that Iraq under saddam was better than current Iraq. Iraqis themselves have said they are grateful to us for removing him from power. Do you people honestly believe the world was safer, in terms of the threat from Iraq, 8 years ago compared to today?

ReputationRep:
    I was sad enough to watch most if it today - I agree with the vast majority of Tony Blair's arguments and points. For some reason I have always liked the guy. But Iraq is a better place, granted in the short term things have not turned out as planned, but in the long run things will improve.. We just need to move onto Iran next to ensure stability in the area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    What did he lie about?
    That there were WoMD

ReputationRep:
    Blair is a wasteman .. first person iv seen who could never do the time ...but still did the crime.

and to the idiot that said iraqis are better off well after you blow up the whole house to get the snake(saddam).. all your left with is a few orphans who are easier to feed food and lies.. makes my heart bleed.

now im off to watch eastenders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amit92)
    That there were WoMD
    Did he lie intentionally, or did he give the wrong information because the information in the dossier was wrong? Or "sexed up"

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.