Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Quick back story: My two best friends, who I've been best friends with for over 7 years now, were together for 3 years. However, she went to university in September, whilst he stayed at home to start his A levels - he couldn't decide what he wanted to do when the rest of us did it, so he worked instead.

Now: They split up a few months back - November, I think - which obviously hit him hard. Thing is, she's already found another boyfriend, and my best friend is absolutely crushed, as I think he was expecting them to get back together over the summer...

She's really changed recently - she's always been a bit difficult to get a hold of, and you've always had to persevere somewhat, but now she's seemingly totally forgotten the rest of us exist, and never makes any effort with us unless we've initiated it.

My male best friend has always been a bit like a brother to me, and now I'm really angry over the fact he's so hurt... Is it wrong to be angry about it though? I'm not sure if I'm being silly :/

ReputationRep:
    Nah I'd be angry, and particularly annoyed that she didn't even ask/consider asking him if he was ok with it. Then again it's her life, but still, good cause for anger anytime any friend abandons his/her friends just because of a relationship. Happens quite a lot I'm afraid :/

ReputationRep:
    It's only natural that you would be angry - he's your friend and he's upset.

I guess he still has some strong feelings for the girl, and the fact that she seems to be ignoring him has obviously made the situation worse.

I think it's apparent that he should move on, because clearly she has, no matter how difficult this may be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)

I think it's apparent that he should move on, because clearly she has, no matter how difficult this may be.
    Oh I know, and if he were anyone else I'd be telling him exactly the same thing, but... I don't know, it just seems more difficult to even suggest it when he's in this state.

I hate girls

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's really your place to be angry, the problem is between your friend and his ex, you can be supportive but that's where your involvement ends. I don't blame her really, it's not her fault that she didn't want to be with him any more and it's probably quite natural for her to want some distance from him if he's still in love with her and thinks they're going to get back together, whereas she's trying to move on and is falling for someone else. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vampyrcorn)
    I don't think it's really your place to be angry, the problem is between your friend and his ex, you can be supportive but that's where your involvement ends. I don't blame her really, it's not her fault that she didn't want to be with him any more and it's probably quite natural for her to want some distance from him if he's still in love with her and thinks they're going to get back together, whereas she's trying to move on and is falling for someone else. :dontknow:
    Totally understand you.

I'm not angry at her for splitting up with him, per se, because I know myself that you can't help it when your emotions change, even if you have been together for years. I think I'm mostly angry that she's changed so much, and that he's so hurt by it :/ Not sure, it's quite strange. Usually I'm the one to take a step back, hence the confusion.

ReputationRep:
    I would be a little angry but it isn't you that it's affecting, it's him. You see it only from his side, from the stories that he tells you so instantly you feel for him and feel angry at the girl from making him feel this way.
    But she probably has a story too and she could be really happy now. People do change when they go to uni, you grow up and you meet new people. You can't be the same person for your whole life.
    Your friend is hurt so you need to be there to support him and listen to him. Stop worrying about the girl and don't be angry at her. People change, relationships break up, life moves on. x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweetxsymphony)
    I would be a little angry but it isn't you that it's affecting, it's him. You see it only from his side, from the stories that he tells you so instantly you feel for him and feel angry at the girl from making him feel this way.
    But she probably has a story too and she could be really happy now. People do change when they go to uni, you grow up and you meet new people. You can't be the same person for your whole life.
    Your friend is hurt so you need to be there to support him and listen to him. Stop worrying about the girl and don't be angry at her. People change, relationships break up, life moves on. x
    No, that's the thing. SHE'S my best friend too. I know the story, because I was the first person she told, and made me swear I wouldn't tell him. It's not as if I'm only looking at it from the one side... I'm glad she's happy, honestly, I'm just sad he's not :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    No, that's the thing. SHE'S my best friend too. I know the story, because I was the first person she told, and made me swear I wouldn't tell him. It's not as if I'm only looking at it from the one side... I'm glad she's happy, honestly, I'm just sad he's not :/
    Oh yeah I kind of overlooked that detail. Well just be there to support him. Take him out to the pub, let him know that there are plenty of fish in the sea and all that crap that people do to make you feel better after being dumped.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 29, 2010
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.