Turn on thread page Beta

Football fan invents heated seat watch

Announcements

Nottingham football fan invents heated seat

A football fan from Nottingham has invented a portable heated seat cover because he got so fed up with his children being cold at matches.

'Eureka moment'

Mr Goode said: "My daughter, who was four at the time, would complain she had a numb bottom on the plastic seat, and my son, who was 11, would complain he was cold.

"I ended up with my arm round my son and my daughter sitting on my knee, so I couldn't actually see the game."

He added: "I could visualise [the seat cover] in my mind and it then went from there.

"It was almost like a Eureka moment. I could see what it needed to look like - a bit like a lap-top bag that converts and breaks open - so I went to see a friend of mine who is an upholsterer and showed him what we wanted and it was built from there."

The heated gel packs are activated by a switch and give out heat for 60 minutes.
    Source

This has got to be one of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard of. It is also another product which epitomises the disgrace that is modern football.

The heated gel packs are activated by a switch and give out heat for 60 minutes.

A football match last 90 minutes, but these gel packs last 60 minutes. It's quite convenient when you think about it because these kind of fans leave the match three quarters of the way through.

Watch this video

The Rapid Wien fans in the video posted above are mostly shirtless. They're in the freezing conditions of nighttime Birmingham. So you're probably wondering how they keep warm and why they're not freezing to death? Well if you watch the video you'll see that these true football fans chant, sing, jump around and support their team throughout the match. These fans would actually be sweating buckets if they had their shirts on.

ReputationRep:
    I want one.

It'd be nice if they lasted the full 90 minutes (and then some), but having one for the last 60 minutes of a match would be great!

ReputationRep:
    The bloke in the BBC video was just as i imagined him. Bloke in a suit!

ReputationRep:
    Some fans follow their club passionately without making a massive fuss about it, like myself. Although I will join in with the chanting now and again.

And 60 minutes warmth is enough to keep you going for a whole football match. Easily.

ReputationRep:
    Try being in the gods of St James' Park to watch your side play Watford in the middle of December.

Bloody southerners and their "cold".

Just a quote from another forum regarding this topic which I found to be truthful and to the point,

Its actually a ******* great idea and I wish I had thought of it.

With the amount of boring ***** that go to the football these days this kiddy fiddler (kids were cold) is going to be a millionaire.
    :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Where can I buy one, and do they come in club colours? :p:

(Original post by cpj1987)
    Where can I buy one, and do they come in club colours? :p:
    I do hope you're not trying to provoke me.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they should have screens infront of each seat, then a glass casing around each stand to keep out the cold and nasty swear words from away fans.

ReputationRep:
    They look great!. Not as great as the commfy seeting at old Trafford though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    I do hope you're not trying to provoke me.
    I'm wanting to buy one. :p:

Of course, I'm sure you don't actually know the answers to my questions, so maybe I am provoking a little tiny bit.

(Original post by SensiDub)
    Maybe they should have screens infront of each seat, then a glass casing around each stand to keep out the cold and nasty swear words from away fans.
    How about a seat belt as well to prevent fans from standing up?

ReputationRep:
    What a brilliant idea.

Hope the guy's a success, we should be promoting and supporting small, innovative businesses in this country and it's nice to see.

OP is a moron, sorry. Get your head out of your arse and listen to yourself.

ReputationRep:
    You cant expect young children to be standing for the full 90 minutes, and singing and jumping.

(Original post by bourney)
    You cant expect young children to be standing for the full 90 minutes, and singing and jumping.
    I don't know about 4 year olds, but certainly during the 70's and 80's the average age of the fans attending football grounds was far far younger and they would chant throughout the match in full voice.

The average age of fans in football grounds is about 43 at the moment. It used to be about 20.

ReputationRep:
    Does it come with a prawn sandwich?

Modern football ain't that enjoyable because so many people sit on their hands, but who I am to dictate to people how they should support their team?

ReputationRep:
    So everyone should go to football matches naked OP? How does being warm prevent you supporting your team?

ReputationRep:

The Rapid Wien fans in the video posted above are mostly shirtless. They're in the freezing conditions of nighttime Birmingham. So you're probably wondering how they keep warm and why they're not freezing to death? Well if you watch the video you'll see that these true football fans chant, sing, jump around and support their team throughout the match. These fans would actually be sweating buckets if they had their shirts on.

Why does it bother you if people want their kids not to freeze at matches?

Not everyone wants a football match to be like you mad Turks do :p: . I mean, I respect the atmosphere, it's AMAZING over there, the flares, the chants, the intimidation, but it's more family orientated over here really, so I think it's a great idea

Having said that, might be happier if Old Trafford would resemble the İnönü Stadium more often, that place is just legendary for atmosphere :yep:

(Original post by Apagg)
    So everyone should go to football matches naked OP? How does being warm prevent you supporting your team?
    You're not using your brain. You have to ask yourself why they're getting cold.

If you have any experience of proper support then you'd know that if you support your team you'd be having problems with overheating and sweating.

Let me put it simply for you,

Prawn sandwich fan (sitting down, being silent) + cold weather = Cold.

Football fan (standing up, chanting...) + cold weather = Hot.

(Original post by neillya1)
    Having said that, might be happier if Old Trafford would resemble the İnönü Stadium more often, that place is just legendary for atmosphere
    There are far more intimidating stadiums in Turkey, but the İnönü Stadium has caught the British media hype.

ReputationRep:
    You're not using your brain. You have to ask yourself why they're getting cold.

If you have any experience of proper support then you'd know that if you support your team you'd be having problems with overheating and sweating.

Let me put it simply for you,

Prawn sandwich fan (sitting down, being silent) + cold weather = Cold.

Football fan (standing up, chanting...) + cold weather = Hot.
    Why does supporting your team have to involve jumping around constantly for 90 minutes?

I attend matches. I sing, I chant, I support. I stand up when I can, but I'm extremely sensitive to the cold and watching matches has become something close to torture for me - particularly this year.

I think I'd make a far better fan being warm enough to attend matches and support without getting ill, than having to avoid going to matches and supporting my team because the weather becomes too much for me?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.