Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sing-For-Absolution's Diet/Fitness Blog Watch

ReputationRep:
    So, I don't really know how these blog-threads work, but I figured if I update daily(ish) with my food and excercise for that day, it'll make me eat better/do more exercise, as everyone will see when I've slipped, and you can post horrible things and insult me!

Well - today is Day 3, urmm, I'm trying to go to the gym 3 times a week, and the days inbetween do like sit ups/lunges etc in my room. And I'm trying to stick to about 1200 calories a day - but I'm more fussed about eating lots of vegetables and wholegrain etc than counting calories.

Huh - stats?
    I'm 5'7
    I don't actually have a tape measure or scales! So I can't do the others, but I figure I weigh tooooo much, Am a size 16ish, and ideally I want to be around a 10.

Ooh, and I'm really unfit - I've been ill for quite a while, and for weeks/months at a time have been in hospital or stuck at home unable to do anything, but since the summer I've been pretty well - so yeah, time to get my ass in gear.....:woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sing-For-Absolution)
    So, I don't really know how these blog-threads work, but I figured if I update daily(ish) with my food and excercise for that day, it'll make me eat better/do more exercise, as everyone will see when I've slipped, and you can post horrible things and insult me!

Well - today is Day 3, urmm, I'm trying to go to the gym 3 times a week, and the days inbetween do like sit ups/lunges etc in my room. And I'm trying to stick to about 1200 calories a day - but I'm more fussed about eating lots of vegetables and wholegrain etc than counting calories.

Huh - stats?
    I'm 5'7
    I don't actually have a tape measure or scales! So I can't do the others, but I figure I weigh tooooo much, Am a size 16ish, and ideally I want to be around a 10.

Ooh, and I'm really unfit - I've been ill for quite a while, and for weeks/months at a time have been in hospital or stuck at home unable to do anything, but since the summer I've been pretty well - so yeah, time to get my ass in gear.....:woo:
    1,200 calories is too little at your weight and height and activity level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    1,200 calories is too little at your weight and height and activity level.

How much should I be aiming for?

ReputationRep:
    How much should I be aiming for?
    Well with a rough guess of your weight probably closer to 1,700/1,800 will lead to roughly 1-1.5lbs fat lost a week depending on how active you are, minus whatever water you lose on top, while also maintaining LBM as long as you get some resistance exercise in there.

ReputationRep:

Huh - stats?
    I'm 5'7

Have you considered slimming world? Its not about counting calories, is easy to understand, healthy and promotes starting excercise in small bits with what you're comfortable with. Plus you get loads of group support, and no one telling you off!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Have you considered slimming world? Its not about counting calories, is easy to understand, healthy and promotes starting excercise in small bits with what you're comfortable with. Plus you get loads of group support, and no one telling you off!

But don't you have to pay?
    I'm starting off this semester £300 in debt :p:
    Have you done it before? Is there like a website where you can get the jist without having to sign up?

ReputationRep:
    But don't you have to pay?
    I'm starting off this semester £300 in debt :p:
    Have you done it before? Is there like a website where you can get the jist without having to sign up?

I have, I lost 24lbs last year and am back on it again to loose another 2 stone. It's around £4.20 a week for students, but what a lot do is go for a month and then once they've got the jist of it start doing it themselves, it can be really confusing at first

and here's the website www.slimmingworld.co.uk

if you're interested theres also a forum were www.minimins.com/slimming-world just for those who do the diet!

ReputationRep:
    Or I mean you could just, you know, eat healthily and exercise a bit more using a bit of advice from people here and the internet. For free.

Or I mean you could just, you know, eat healthily and exercise a bit more using a bit of advice from people here and the internet. For free.
    This

ReputationRep:
    Up your calorie intake.
    You need to reduce calorie levels slowly otherwise
    you'll just end up bingeing.
    The weight should fall off you in the first few weeks anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Eat more than that Calorie counting is a bit useless but that's not enough.
    Balanced diet + good range of exercise = healthy weight loss and better figure :top:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not actually sure of the amount of calories in anything, so I duno if I am sticking to 1200, that was just a rough estimate?

If my average day goes something like this:

breakfast - porridge or special k and a cup of tea
    lunch - baguette/sandwitch or salad, incl ham or cheese
    snack - fruit or yoghurt
    dinner - something homemade like quorn chili, chicken curry, vegetable soup or fish and potatoes
    snack - ryvita or biscuit

can someone tell me approx how many calories that is?

ReputationRep:
    Depends on portion sizes really. To me, porridge would be like 150g+ but to a lot of the girls on here it´s like 30g.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on portion sizes really. To me, porridge would be like 150g+ but to a lot of the girls on here it´s like 30g.
    Hahaha, yeah, something like 40g?

ReputationRep:
    Well, I'm not actually sure of the amount of calories in anything, so I duno if I am sticking to 1200, that was just a rough estimate?

If my average day goes something like this:

breakfast - porridge or special k and a cup of tea
    lunch - baguette/sandwitch or salad, incl ham or cheese
    snack - fruit or yoghurt
    dinner - something homemade like quorn chili, chicken curry, vegetable soup or fish and potatoes
    snack - ryvita or biscuit

can someone tell me approx how many calories that is?

Thats not bad, my average day is
    breakfast- 28/30g of special k sustain, skimmed milk and a cup of coffee with a muller light yogurt and bunch of grapes
    Lunch: Pitta bread filled with diced chicken, salad and low fat cheese, banana and some melon
    Snack: Ryvita mini's, and a muller light yogurt
    Dinner: Homemade curry, made with natural yogurt, or a bolognase with beansprouts is my fave atm! Or if i'm in a rush a jacket potato and cottage cheese fills me up
    Pudding: Mini milk (only 30 calories) and an options hot chocolate

I'm loosing around 1-2lbs a week atm, and was around a size 16-18 when i started

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Thats not bad, my average day is
    breakfast- 28/30g of special k sustain, skimmed milk and a cup of coffee with a muller light yogurt and bunch of grapes
    Lunch: Pitta bread filled with diced chicken, salad and low fat cheese, banana and some melon
    Snack: Ryvita mini's, and a muller light yogurt
    Dinner: Homemade curry, made with natural yogurt, or a bolognase with beansprouts is my fave atm! Or if i'm in a rush a jacket potato and cottage cheese fills me up
    Pudding: Mini milk (only 30 calories) and an options hot chocolate

I'm loosing around 1-2lbs a week atm, and was around a size 16-18 when i started
    Ooh, I am so buying me some mini-milk - only 30 calories!
    And yeah, I never thought of pitta bread, alternative to sandwitch or baguette I suppose

ReputationRep:
    So yeah - day 3 (or 1 depending on which way you look at it)

I had -
    breakfast - Berries with yoghurt and alpen, and a cup of tea
    lunch - baked beans on 2 pcs of toast
    dinner - fish, potatoes and mushrooms
    snack - chocolate bar (ahhh I know, but I needed chocolate!), ooh and a tiny bit of peanut butter that may or may not have been eaten from the jar :p:
    and I did about 35 mins cardio in the gym - call me lazy/unfit, but I couldn't manage any more

ReputationRep:
    So yeah - day 3 (or 1 depending on which way you look at it)

I had -
    breakfast - Berries with yoghurt and alpen, and a cup of tea
    lunch - baked beans on 2 pcs of toast
    dinner - fish, potatoes and mushrooms
    snack - chocolate bar (ahhh I know, but I needed chocolate!), ooh and a tiny bit of peanut butter that may or may not have been eaten from the jar :p:
    and I did about 35 mins cardio in the gym - call me lazy/unfit, but I couldn't manage any more

Are you feeling hungry at all? You're definately not eating enough!

I have a motto, I eat when i'm hungry and when i'm hungry I stop!

And 35mins cardio is all i manage at the gym too! don't push yourself out of what you can do, it's a gradual process

ReputationRep:
    didn't update yesterday - bad me!

Ok, so yesterday I had

breakfast - muesli, yoghurt and fruit, cup of tea
    at lunch/during work - 1 cup of tea, 2 diet cokes and a ham and cheese toastie
    dinner - was invited to a dinner party and ate loads of fattening foods and alcohol

and no exercise as such, but I walked to work and back - half an hour each way, and at work I'm stood up, walking around all day.

Today

breakfast - porridge (40g oats, water, spoon of brown sugar) tea,
    dinner - mushroom risotto, then loads of jaffa cakes and 3 cups of tea :s
    edit - then 5(!) pieces of toast in the evening

excercise - went on a walk this afternoon

ahh - ok so that was a bad day, I should have eaten lunch!

ReputationRep:
    today
    breakfast - special k
    lunch - baked potato and that extra-light-cream-cheese stuff you can get with herbs in
    dinner - pasta with tgomato and vegetable sauce
    snack - toast and peanut butter

exercise - about 45mins at the gym

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 26, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.