Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Is it possible for a Uni to cancel the offer that has been made to you? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible for a Uni to cancel the offer that has been made to you just because you did badly in your january exams?

please reply me soon guys

ReputationRep:
    No they gave you the offer on the basis of your predicted grades. They know people can preform badly in January and retake in June and so they make their final decision on results day in August.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think they know how you do in January? Of course, the grades you get in January will influence your overall grades so they could reject you if you don't meet your conditional offer..

ReputationRep:
    No they can't. Once the offers on UCAS, they can't withdraw it

ReputationRep:
    no.

ReputationRep:
    Just to expand on this, could a uni revoke your offer under any circumstances? Say if you dropped out of college after getting an unconditional, or got a criminal record or something? I've always wondered this...

ReputationRep:
    Cheers guys really appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Your January results will not affect your offer. So long as you meet the conditions of your offer after you've finished your course, you conditional offer will become an unconditional place.

If you've done badly in January, just put your head down and aim to rectify that in time for your summer exams.

ReputationRep:
    You'd have to declare a criminal record, depending on its relevancy I think the uni would be allowed to reconsider. Dropping out...well you'd think not, with an unconditional, but I guess you'd still have to tell them.

ReputationRep:
    I remember a thread awhile back where someone apparently phoned up their uni to ask if they had to do their exams because their offer was unconditional. They said that they wanted to go travelling etc. have a bit more like half a gap year for the last half of that year before they went to uni. Apparently, the offer was withdrawn, I can't guarantee its authenticity as I can't find it atm though.

ReputationRep:
    The definitive answer is here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post22640253

ReputationRep:
    err what if the Uni that has given that offer, is one of the top Uni in the UK. Would they have the right to cancel the offer that they have made - after the terrible January Exams? Are they going to consider resits? - and would they look at the results of the first trial - before the resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilfe)
    err what if the Uni that has given that offer, is one of the top Uni in the UK. Would they have the right to cancel the offer that they have made - after the terrible January Exams? Are they going to consider resits? - and would they look at the results of the first trial - before the resits?
    Two things yet unmentioned:

They can if they suspect fraud on your application.
    They can if they do not accept retake students.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the offer from the uni was? I know several people that were offered sandwiches but when it came to the crunch, no sandwiches. There were biscuits - oh there were biscuits! - but no sandwiches :no:

ReputationRep:
    it only says AAA on my 3 subjects (out of my 4s). there is nothing that says 'no resits' - so . . . is there still a chance of them canceling the offer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilfe)
    it only says AAA on my 3 subjects (out of my 4s). there is nothing that says 'no resits' - so . . . is there still a chance of them canceling the offer?
    Highly unlikely. The universities will not know what you get in January, so what matters to them is what your final result is in August. The system is such that it allows resits, that is how A-levels work, and the universities have had to accept this (and the end result is that offer requirements have gone up over the years as people improve through resits).

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.