Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Netherland's Zwarte Piet, "Black Peter," Santa's blackface helper = Racist? watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it shocking to Americans/Europeans who are visiting Netherlands?

Zwarte Piet is nearly always a blacked-up white man or woman, wearing a tight curly wig with big rouged lips, dressed in bright pantaloons, a big ruff and gold earring. A very old-fashioned, and to many offensive, caricature of a black man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...his_pro_5.html

ReputationRep:
    Does this debate not usually take place slightly closer to the relevant time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo2305)
    Does this debate not usually take place slightly closer to the relevant time?
    There is no better time than right now to fight prejudice, no?

ReputationRep:
    Just wondered, just I'm all kinda out of debate for this particular point right now. Usually save my energies for the right time of year.

ReputationRep:
    Erm... Sinterklaas and Christmas were ages ago.

edit - that article's from 2007! why are you raising it now?

ReputationRep:
    HAHAHA, thats fricking funny!!!! I LOVE the Dutch

ReputationRep:
    After singing it every year during my childhood on the 5th December, I only recently realised it was racist.
    :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    HOw is this offensive, black people ahve got tight curly hair and big lips....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mechazoid)
    HOw is this offensive, black people ahve got tight curly hair and big lips....
    Racist! You must be white British?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Racist! You must be white British?

None white British.

ReputationRep:
    This is old you fool. It's about as racist as the African newspapers that portray white people as thinned haired, with comically pointy noses. It's all perception. Learn the defintion of racism because trying to making sensational threads.

ReputationRep:
    black peter isn't father christmas' helper, he is the bringer of presents sole. it's not even christmas, it happens on december 6th.
    and how the tradition that a cheerful black person brings children presents is racist, I don't know.

ReputationRep:
    And the Easter bunny has a gollywog as a helper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UGeNe)
    Is it shocking to Americans/Europeans who are visiting Netherlands?

Zwarte Piet is nearly always a blacked-up white man or woman, wearing a tight curly wig with big rouged lips, dressed in bright pantaloons, a big ruff and gold earring. A very old-fashioned, and to many offensive, caricature of a black man.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereport...his_pro_5.html
    First of all, this is a tradition that is hundreds of years old and I have seen many actually black people acting as a "zwarte piet" and in fact "zwarte piet" comes from Spain and all of them are Spanish helpers of the Saint. Second of all, as a Dutch native, I have NEVER EVER experienced ANY rasicm during Sinterklaas (the holiday you are talking about). Thirdly, this tradition is also celebrated in the old Dutch colonies such as Suriname and Aruba - the majority of those people are black or have a coloured skin (no offence) and Sinterklaas is also celebrated in Belgium.

The story goes that every year Sinterklaas travels all the way from Spain by boat and arrives around the end of November (around the 20th or 25th or something). During the time of his arrival and the 5th of december he visits loads of places in the country and kids can place their shoe or boot close to the chimney or door (often with a drawing or carrot for his horse) so Sinterklaas can put a present in them. At the 5th of december he passes all houses in the country, to leave a big sack (made of jute) of presents. http://www.twinkelpinkeltje.nl/WebRo...interklaas.jpg

I would advise people who want to know more about Sinterklaas to have a look at this website and have a look at the links at the bottom of the page: http://www.stnicholascenter.org/Brix?pageID=92

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.