Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi, I'm Max, I need your help to cancel my accommodation contract because I live now with my girlfriend and I have to pay two rents.

So, I have a contract with the uni (UCLAN in Preston) and I already paid the rent for the year. I know if I find someone who wants to take my room, the uni can cancel my contract, but are there any else ways to cancel it??

Thanks,

bye

ReputationRep:
    No. It's called a contract for a reason. You give them money, they give you a room. Why would they want to give you your money back?

ReputationRep:
    No. You're stuck with it, unless you withdraw from the university.

You should've asked about that before you went and moved in with your girlfriend.

ReputationRep:
    Well, it should say in the terms and conditions of the contract. But I would doubt it. They wouldn't be able to evict you with no notice, so why should they loose out on revenue because you now want to leave. It's a legal document, so I would very much doubt you can get your money back, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Ooor, you could fake your death, of course. But that might make it difficult to attend seminars and exams.

ReputationRep:
    It is called a contract for a reason! You're screwed.

ReputationRep:
    I moved out early in my hall and the office found some other people to replace me and I didn't have to pay further rent. Go to the main office in ur hall I suggest if u already haven't.

ReputationRep:
    Advertise around uni to see if you can find a replacement. Most uni accommodation offices will happily release someone from their contract if they find a replacement to move into their room. You never know there might be someone who lives locally and was happy travelling in from home every day but now wants to be more involved in uni life and fancies moving into halls. Also if you find someone who is in a cheaper room than yours they may release you if someone upgrades to your room. At my uni they would let someone upgrade to a more expensive room if one was available.

ReputationRep:
    Let's consult Advice Dog;

Can he get his money back, oh wise advice dog?

ReputationRep:
    When i moved from halls i went to talk to the student accomodation people and they gave me a list of people in temporary accomodation so maybe try that?

ReputationRep:
    Ok, so I must find a replacement, because the student accommodation people told me there are a lot of rooms available and they can't find a replacement for my room.

Thank you very much for your help.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.