Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

4 or 5 AS levels? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    At my school if you get certain grades at GCSE then you might be able to do 5 AS-levels...however even though I'm predicted A*s at GCSE I'm not sure if it's a good idea?

At the moment I've decided to take; Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and History at AS, dropping either English or History at A2 - and I'd be taking critical thinking/ general RE and maybe the extended project too!

Anyone with experience/ suggestions on workload for this?

PS; I hope to study Biological sciences at uni and *hope* to apply to Oxford :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I did 5 full AS levels and the workload wasn't too bad - gets a bit heavy if you're doing 5 at A2 though.

ReputationRep:
    I did six AS Levels last year, got AABBCD

In my defense, the C's in General Paper (basically went to the paper unprepared), and the D's in Chemistry (just not my subject but need it for some reason).

There you go. The workload ain't that bad. Just put in consistent effort (unlike me ) and you might just pull out straight As!

ReputationRep:
    stick with four

ReputationRep:
    just do four. From the sounds of it, your pretty smart (im guessing lol) and so i suspect you won't be going on to any universities that take students on the number of ucas points you score. As such, take the four that are most relevant to what you might want to do later, and definitley do an EPQ (extended project) as it looks great on your personal Statement, especially if you are applying for a popular course.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford dont really care that much about extra-curriculars tbh
    just do what you can cope with academically and get the best grades. you dont want to spread yourself thin and weaken your grades

ReputationRep:
    well i did 5 and did Biology, History, English Lit, Geography and Physics. Considering you are doing similar AS-levels as me i can honestly say english lit isn't too bad, cause there isn't that much work involved compared to say chemistry. Lots of reading but not too bad. The others you can probably cope with although i know chemistry is known as being hard, and quite a lot of work is needed. Could you possible start with 5 and then if you are not coping drop down to 4?

ReputationRep:
    should i do 5 if one of mine is further maths?

ReputationRep:
    If you're 5th subject is Critical Thinking, then that should be no problem.
    (Original post by whiterabbit118)
    should i do 5 if one of mine is further maths?
    If you're decent enough at Maths, then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    Just take 5 and see how it goes for a while, you can always drop the one thats giving you the most grief after that time.

ReputationRep:
    exetended projects are for loosers, anyone who puts one on their personal statement is a generic piece of a trash and is most likely going to get rejected.. personal statement, put things in there that are personal, what interests you, motivates you, what you have a passion for. not some stupid put together project you did purposefully for a 4000 word statement... be original

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jfranny)
    exetended projects are for loosers, anyone who puts one on their personal statement is a generic piece of a trash and is most likely going to get rejected.. personal statement, put things in there that are personal, what interests you, motivates you, what you have a passion for. not some stupid put together project you did purposefully for a 4000 word statement... be original
    You may think extended projects are for "loosers" but they are supposed to incorparate your interests with academic achievement - you shouldn't choose certain A-levels unless you either have an interest in them or they are relevant to your future....

I personally think unis respect the extended project :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    At my school if you get certain grades at GCSE then you might be able to do 5 AS-levels...however even though I'm predicted A*s at GCSE I'm not sure if it's a good idea?

At the moment I've decided to take; Biology, Chemistry, English Literature and History at AS, dropping either English or History at A2 - and I'd be taking critical thinking/ general RE and maybe the extended project too!

Anyone with experience/ suggestions on workload for this?

PS; I hope to study Biological sciences at uni and *hope* to apply to Oxford :yep:

For bio and especially at oxford you really could do with maths,
    Take Bio,Chem,Maths and one from history and english, 5 is unneccesery :cool:

ReputationRep:
    If you think you can handle 5 (with the additional AS in a subject you actually want to do) and come out well at the end of it, then by all means do so. However, if you're planning on doing Critical Thinking as the extra subject, just be careful you won't be wasting your time, the majority of people at my college who took it hated it and thought it was pointless, and many universities don't count it as a "proper" A level, but as I said before, if you really want to do it, then do, but don't just study it for the sake of doing so just because you've been told you're capable of doing an extra subject. As for the Extended Project, I strongly advise you to do it, it's a great opportunity to show how good you are at independant research and it's great to have on your personal statement.

ReputationRep:
    Badmen do six.

ReputationRep:
    why make your life harder than it needs to be? do 4.

ReputationRep:
    A*A*A*A is definately better than A*AABB

A couple of years ago I'd have said 5, but A* are not going to be easy to get.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiill)
    For bio and especially at oxford you really could do with maths,
    Take Bio,Chem,Maths and one from history and english, 5 is unneccesery :cool:
    I know that maths is probably advisable, but for Biological sciences (even at Oxford) the only nessecary A-level is Biology, Chemistry is "highly recommended" and maths is "helpful although not required for admission" ...but I'll just about get an A in GCSE maths and so think that for AS level it's better to get AAAA then AAAC (in maths lol) :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jjackson18624)
    why make your life harder than it needs to be? do 4.
    Good point. They never specifiy more than 4 AS levels :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Niki_girl)
    Good point. They never specifiy more than 4 AS levels :yep:
    There's no-one better at giving adivce on a-levels than someone who's already been through them :yep: My head of sixth form told me about someone who took 4 a-levels to A2 then subsequently missed their offer for uni. no doubt there are countless similar stories- It's just crazyness. AAA always looks better than AABB.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.