Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My current laptop is a Dell 1525 and I hate it. I spent £400 on it when I bought it (what the hell was I thinking), and it really is a peice of carp. Its very noisy, bulky, heavy, very cheap feeling and the keyboards broke (was told it would cost £80 to repair that alone).

Quite obviously, I never want another Dell again! And I realise that I'll be lucky to even get £100 selling it for parts. I'd like a replacement laptop, prefereably for £200-300. Maybe not a micro-laptop like an Asus Eee but just nice and light.

I use laptop for:
    -basic internet
    -word processing
    -pictures
    -managing CDs/music

So basic features really/non gaming/graphic

ReputationRep:
    Why not a netbook, out of interest? An external disc drive is pretty portable, and based on what you've posted, I doubt you need cd/dvd portability any way. I've got an eeePC and it's functioning pretty damned well as my primary computer.

ReputationRep:
    Look at the samsung nc10.

It's light and good for all that stuff.
    It is a netbook or "micro-laptop" but a lot sturdier and imo better built then the Eee PC.

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/pro...o_Samsung_NC10

http://reviews.cnet.com/laptops/sams...-33343697.html

ReputationRep:
    http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/sto...bled_product=1

Scroll down a bit and you have the selection of 'Refurb' laptops, now the third one down is the one I've had about a year now and when it arrived I was surprised that it was actually brand new!

1gb Memory, 160gb Hard-drive, Dual Core Processor etc etc

All for £229.99

Best thing I've ever brought!

ReputationRep:
    so you spend £400 on dell's budget line, and unfortunately something went wrong.

you now want to spend even less?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by RJ555)
    My current laptop is a Dell 1525 and I hate it. I spent £400 on it when I bought it (what the hell was I thinking), and it really is a peice of carp. Its very noisy, bulky, heavy, very cheap feeling and the keyboards broke (was told it would cost £80 to repair that alone).

Quite obviously, I never want another Dell again! And I realise that I'll be lucky to even get £100 selling it for parts. I'd like a replacement laptop, prefereably for £200-300. Maybe not a micro-laptop like an Asus Eee but just nice and light.

I use laptop for:
    -basic internet
    -word processing
    -pictures
    -managing CDs/music

So basic features really/non gaming/graphic
    Very noisy - all laptops will get noisy, as they'll gather dust over time in the fans/heatsink which means they'll run hotter, so the fans have to spin more to cool it. It's down to the user to get it cleaned out. It's the same with games consoles.

Bulky/heavy - you clearly didn't look at the specs properly, you could have researched it before buying, reading reviews etc.

Very cheap feeling - Inspirons have always been Dell's budget line.

The keyboard you can buy off eBay for <£20 and fix it in yourself, the manuals are on the Dell website if you need instructions. PC shops always rip you off.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.