Open University Watch

VickyS83
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Does anyone have a degree from the Open University? How did employers respond to the fact that it was from this University? What are the grades like of people who have their degrees from there? What do Universities think of this institution when you apply for a Masters? Does it matter or is the classification more important? Thanks for any help!
lupinpooter
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
An OU degree is as valid as a degree from any other UK university. Allegedly employers look more favourably on OU graduates (because achieving a degree by distance learning alongside work and other responsibilities is seen as evidence of desirable qualities like self-discipline, motivation etc). Plenty of OU graduates go on to postgraduate study at other universities (including Oxbridge, LSE and the like): I don't know of any evidence to suggest that classification is more important for an OU graduate than a graduate of another university. I'd say that doing an OU degree is rather good preparation for the independent study required at postgrad level.
flickwoodie
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
From what I've heard from my own research, OU classifications tend to be stricter than other universities. For instance, if a job asks for a 2:1 or above, they may consider you with a 2:2.

I started a maths degree with the OU this year and am enjoying it so far, particularly since it gives me the opportunity to work alongside my studies. However I hold conditional offers for universities across the UK to study Maths next year as a UG. Is it crazy to turn down an offer to study Maths at Warwick, second only to Cambridge? I don't know... As for the employment prospects, what I've heard is very positive, but if anyone out there has any first hand experience, I'd love to hear from you.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads