Turn on thread page Beta

How do you make notes that you can revise from? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year biological sciences student and I've just been looking over the notes from my physiology modules on muscle, and they're utter rubbish. I won't be able to revise from the come exam time and I'm in the process of making new ones.

What works for you? Typing up notes? I'm really not sure what is the best way for me to learn this. Do you have any tips?

ReputationRep:
    I just write what the teacher says. Sometimes in shorthand or I put them into sentences. I just keep all my notes in a folder for each subject rather than a massive jumbled portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    hey i appreciate im only A2 and so havnt got the quantity of work you guys have but i have an offer from Oxford so i know what work is (or think i do!)

For me i take decent/ok nots in class. When it comes to exams i sit pass papers and remake my notes. I usually type the first lot. Then as it gets closer to the exam and i know what im a bit worried about i rewrite them out on cards (A3 size). These are good as whenever i get a gap, say in the evening when relaxing and adverts are on i can just read em and eventually it becomes second nature

ReputationRep:
    This method has never failed me. I read my notes, journals, books etc and it may sound childish but i buy a sketch map and mind map everything. Basics i get from notes and lecture slides that expand these with my readings. As a good geographer I have a nifty little highlighting scheme with one colour used for important points, another for author and date and another for stats/ quotes.

Its quite a feminine thing to do but after writing them you have a good set of notes which when in an exam, you can visualize what topics are written where in my sketch book and what colour was it highlighted.

After this I tend to move onto flash cards, condensing everything down but I have sometimes skipped this as I just havent got the time :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)
    I am a first year biological sciences student and I've just been looking over the notes from my physiology modules on muscle, and they're utter rubbish. I won't be able to revise from the come exam time and I'm in the process of making new ones.

What works for you? Typing up notes? I'm really not sure what is the best way for me to learn this. Do you have any tips?
    visualise muscles in your head! print out coloured diagrams and annotate
    after that draw a mindmap and start from basics to advance. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    I don't think my method has a name. Its full of bullet points and paragraphs and squiggles and bubbles - over time I've adapted it so it works for my brain... It sounds odd I know. Experiment, it really depends how you learn. Mine wouldn't work for anyone else but it seems to be doing okay for me at the moment. At uni it may need refining though.

ReputationRep:
    Bullet points then revise them to the extent you can write them out without looking at them.

ReputationRep:
    Well, teachers always told me my revision method wouldnt work, but it got me ABB so i am not complaining! I just re write all my notes I took, or the ones that seem important/Im unsure of, and look up anything extra that I am unsure of on the internet and in books, and write that down.

Then I just read them out loud and in my head over and over until it sticks in my head. Not necessarily learning,and taking it in, but kind of like how song lyrics get stuck in your head if you hear them often enough.

ReputationRep:
    I make notes and then never look at them again apart from when I want to rewrite the same set of notes out more concisely :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    Well, teachers always told me my revision method wouldnt work, but it got me ABB so i am not complaining! I just re write all my notes I took, or the ones that seem important/Im unsure of, and look up anything extra that I am unsure of on the internet and in books, and write that down.

Then I just read them out loud and in my head over and over until it sticks in my head. Not necessarily learning,and taking it in, but kind of like how song lyrics get stuck in your head if you hear them often enough.
    that is the same thing as root memorisation! lol but a little bit more intensive than normal:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    that is the same thing as root memorisation! lol but a little bit more intensive than normal:eek3:
    I dont know what root memorisation is.....I just read.

ReputationRep:
    Do you need all those notes. Or can you learn from answering past paper questions when revising

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richard12)
    hey i appreciate im only A2 and so havnt got the quantity of work you guys have but i have an offer from Oxford so i know what work is (or think i do!)

For me i take decent/ok nots in class. When it comes to exams i sit pass papers and remake my notes. I usually type the first lot. Then as it gets closer to the exam and i know what im a bit worried about i rewrite them out on cards (A3 size). These are good as whenever i get a gap, say in the evening when relaxing and adverts are on i can just read em and eventually it becomes second nature
    You have no idea what work is , just wait until next year.

ReputationRep:
    I make big posters (handwritten most of the time; type doesn't seem to stick in my mind), and divide it into sections that can be learnt in chunks. I cover the rest of the poster until I'm ready to revise the next section.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 30, 2010
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.