Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Heya,

I will be applying for Medicine next year and would like to apply to one of the Oxbridge universities.

Overall I have good acedemic AS Level grades so far, and teachers predit I should get A* Maths, A/A* Chemistry and A/A* Biology. I am taking Further Maths and should get 90-95% in the first year.

My problem is that at GCSEs I got 5 A*s and 8 A's. My school has a 60% 5 subjects A*-C grade pass rate. I have been told that my GCSEs are not good enough for Oxford.

I have been informed that Oxford shortlist due to BMAT and GCSE, and I could be excluded without taking into account A Levels, YASS Course, and other aspects such as Karate Instructor etc.

My question is, is it worth applying to Cambridge instead, or are they the same?

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be rejected pre-interview by Oxford unless you have an out-of-this world BMAT score. See http://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/med...lin/statistics for more information.

Cambridge do not use the same short-listing criteria. It is somewhat college specific at cam as well.

ReputationRep:
    No.

You will need to be one of the higher scoring applicants in the BMAT to make the automatic shortlist (I think with 50% A* you'll need to be in around the top 20% but I may be wrong).

However, if you don't make the automatic shortlist you will not be rejected without them taking into account anything else. They go through every application and add an additional 10-20% of candidates to the interview stage.

Apply to the one you like best. They're very different places.

ReputationRep:
    The GCSE issue will probably act as a slight disadvantage for oxford.. But thats by no means saying you won't get in!

Have a look at them both and see which one you prefer

(Do a decent amount of prep for the BMAT, and you could well get an interview at Oxford..)

ReputationRep:
    I heard Cambridge is more college specific so perhaps apply there.

ReputationRep:
    I was rejected purely on GCSE's but then again, my GSCE's arent that great (2A* 5A 4B) - Did them in 1 year. They said my BMAT of 6.7 - 4.6 - 6.0 was above the average of their applicants, but it still didnt make up for my bad GCSE's. I guess with a BMAT in that range with GCSE's like yours you would definatly have a better chance of geting an interview but the safer option is Cambridge because they dont really care as much about GCSE's plus they interview a higher %age of their applicants

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    . They said my BMAT of 6.7 - 4.6 - 6.0 was above the average of their applicants, but it still didnt make up for my bad GCSE's.
    Are you sure?! You have to get a higher score than that to get an itnerview at UCL let alone oxbridge, and 6.0 is way below average, its out of 15. Your first score is above but your other two are below average I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    I was rejected purely on GCSE's
    No you weren't.

ReputationRep:
    I know Cambridge are much less concerned with GCSEs compared to Oxford, at least when it comes to giving interviews. Not wishing to sound arrogant at all, I got 1.5A*s, 5As, 6Bs and a C (not great GCSEs by a long shot) and managed to get pooled at Cambridge (I doubt I would've even been interviewed at Oxford), so yours should be more than adequate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisblade)
    Are you sure?! You have to get a higher score than that to get an itnerview at UCL let alone oxbridge, and 6.0 is way below average, its out of 15. Your first score is above but your other two are below average I'd say.
    Well if you use Oxford weighting ((6.7/9)*0.4+(4.6/9)*0.4+(6/15)*0.2=0.582) it comes out as 58.2%. The statistics state the average was 50.6% before short-listing (62% after). It is above average and with better GCSEs he would get an interview just fine.

ReputationRep:

That was a rather good argument. I wish you'd left your name so I knew who it was.
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousPenguin)
    Well if you use Oxford weighting ((6.7/9)*0.4+(4.6/9)*0.4+(6/15)*0.2=0.582) it comes out as 58.2%. The statistics state the average was 50.6% before short-listing (62% after). It is above average and with better GCSEs he would get an interview just fine.
    Thanks for that, I never applied so I didn't know =)

But really, if its below the short list score, it isn't high enough, as I'm sure there are many candidates with below average scores who apply because they are slightly delutional, dragging the average before short listing down! :p: I mean I know some people with no A*'s that applied =/

ReputationRep:
    You migt get an interview at Oxford, but only with a very good BMAT score.

If you could get such a score, it'd probably be more useful in one of the Cambridge colleges that weight the BMAT very highly (Caius, Trinity, Emma, etc.) - though all of them seem to value it fairly highly.

At Cambridge your UMS will be much more important than GCSEs. If they are all 90%+ then you should get an interview. Even so, it might be worth applying to a college that shortlists for interview after the BMAT.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I never applied so I didn't know =)

But really, if its below the short list score, it isn't high enough, as I'm sure there are many candidates with below average scores who apply because they are slightly delutional, dragging the average before short listing down! :p: I mean I know some people with no A*'s that applied =/
    If you don't know anything about a subject, it's probably a good idea to keep quiet about it.

The shortlist score is very dependent on GCSEs - 10A*s makes it fairly easy to get an automatic interview.

Also, wrt the 'delutional' candidates, GCSEs are entirely unrepresentative of intelligence.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Short answer: if your heart is not set on Oxford then yes you stand a better chance at Cambridge cos they interview the vast majority of people

Plus Cambridge is better research-wise in sciences :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)
    If you don't know anything about a subject, it's probably a good idea to keep quiet about it.

The shortlist score is very dependent on GCSEs - 10A*s makes it fairly easy to get an automatic interview.

Also, wrt the 'delutional' candidates, GCSEs are entirely unrepresentative of intelligence.

:rolleyes:
    Wow, now I know nothing about applying to med school, thanks. Anyway would you ever consider 6,4.6,6 above average?! It doesn't matter what med school you apply to, I would not consider that I high score. I was merely pointing out that his GCSE's may not be the only reason he was rejected.

ReputationRep:
    Oxford and Cambridge acceptance rates are similar...Maybe the most important thing is just working as hard as you can on the other bits , putting as much effort into your bmat as you can and then giving any interview you get your best shot. Because then hopefully you can get to be the one who says ' I didnt even have 9 A*, but I got in to Cambridge!'.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, now I know nothing about applying to med school, thanks. Anyway would you ever consider 6,4.6,6 above average?! It doesn't matter what med school you apply to, I would not consider that I high score. I was merely pointing out that his GCSE's may not be the only reason he was rejected.
    Section 3 of the BMAT means little. His S1 was well above average and his S2 was the average score.

As AnonymousPengiun has already told you, he would have been interviewed with better GCSEs. Most Oxford applicants are given an interview based entirely on BMAT/GCSE A* percentage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Undulipodium)

At Cambridge your UMS will be much more important than GCSEs. If they are all 90%+ then you should get an interview. Even so, it might be worth applying to a college that shortlists for interview after the BMAT.
    Just to add, you dont definitely need above 90% in all AS's to get an offer, I think you can be in the range 85-100 and still have a chance.
    Only saying that coz the 90% thing scared me loads all through the application business as I only just hit ninety in two out of four subjects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tally_16)
    Heya,

I will be applying for Medicine next year and would like to apply to one of the Oxbridge universities.

Overall I have good acedemic AS Level grades so far, and teachers predit I should get A* Maths, A/A* Chemistry and A/A* Biology. I am taking Further Maths and should get 90-95% in the first year.

My problem is that at GCSEs I got 5 A*s and 8 A's. My school has a 60% 5 subjects A*-C grade pass rate. I have been told that my GCSEs are not good enough for Oxford.

I have been informed that Oxford shortlist due to BMAT and GCSE, and I could be excluded without taking into account A Levels, YASS Course, and other aspects such as Karate Instructor etc.

My question is, is it worth applying to Cambridge instead, or are they the same?

Thanks in advance.
    Pick the university you like the best, because it's hard to say how likely you are to get in - there are always many surprising outcomes. Your GCSEs aren't considered that low, so don't worry too much about them. Oxford is said to pay more attention to them, mainly because they don't send out an additional form asking for your every module grade. You can however, choose to show your AS unit grades, which could benefit your application. Cambridge tend to interview more applicants but this doesn't mean they give out more offers.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.