Turn on thread page Beta

Which is worse: Rejected because of your personality or looks? watch

ReputationRep:
    Personality, I would would rather be unpretty to someone than boring/uninteresting.

ReputationRep:
    Well my looks reject me already so if theres problems with my personality im screwed

ReputationRep:
    Personality. If I like them enough for them to have the opportunity to reject me then I'd like their personality, so value their opinion on mine... My liking someones looks but they not liking mine wouldn't make me question myself so much.

But, people can be a lot more picky with a partner than they are with a friend. It doesn't mean that he doesn't like your personality, he just may not see you as his perfect partner. That doesn't mean there aren't loads of people who would. (Not sure if any of that makes sense...)

ReputationRep:
    Personality, because you can always try to change or improve your appearance but your going to be YOU for ever. Then again If someone does like your personality they shouldnt reject you based on your looks, that is so shallow. Hes not worth it if its for looks, and if its pesonality, forget him.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely personality but then again rejection is usually down to a lot of petty things so I wouldn't get to worked up over it.

ReputationRep:
    Personality - everyone's looks will deteriote eventually! :p: Also, if you are rejected because of your personality then they would have had to at least spend some time with you.

ReputationRep:
    worse to be rejected for looks i reckon, coz u can change your personality

ReputationRep:
    Relationship-wise, definitely looks because you may have a fairly decent personality which just isn't compatible with the other half.. so that's fair enough. But if someone rejected you on the basis of looks, when you had a compatible personality, I'd say that's far more harsh. However I wouldn't want to go out with someone so shallow in any case.

ReputationRep:
    Well the thing is that different people are attracted to different personalities/looks, but I'd probably be just as offended being rejected for either reasons.

I think your looks, cos it would seriously damage your ego because personality can change...

ReputationRep:
    Is it shallow if someone rejects you for your looks though? I mean to some extent yes, but at the same time, isn't a fundamental aspect of being in a relationship that you are sexually attracted to them? I mean, would it be a good relationship if you were with someone that you absolutely loved because of their personality but had no desire to be physical with?
    • PS Helper
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Peer Support Volunteers
    I feel I'm probably meant to say personality...but looks.
    'Cause even if they rejected you on personality at least you'd know you're pretty

ReputationRep:
    ligfih

ReputationRep:
    either one is bad, it depends on male or females really, men aren't really going to be bother about the looks but more on personality where as with women its both

ReputationRep:
    If this guy is hanging out with you and you get on, then he can't think that poorly of your personality. Perhaps its just he doesnt feel strongly enough about looks/personality in combination or maybe hes intrested in someone else.
    Try not to overthink it as you will end up upsetting yourself even more!
    Have you asked any mututal friends about it?

ReputationRep:
    Either really, though being rejected on personality often happens later (once you're more attached and all facets have been revealed) whereas looks tend to be a deal-breaker quite early on so not quite as hurtful.

Also, I've been rejected on looks and I'm not unattractive just not really their sort and we stayed pretty good friends, so probably being rejected based on personality is worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    Personality probably. You can change your looks, probably not personality. Well, unless you had a lobotomy, but that seems somewhat drastic.
    Logic tells me it's the other way round.

ReputationRep:
    defo personality...you can change your appearance. But maybe there was just not spark, that's always a bummer

ReputationRep:
    looks is more hurtful

if someone rejected me on the basis of my looks i'd sink into depression and have plastic surgery or something, im really sensitive when it comes to like how i look cos of stuff in the past

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

An 'attractive personality' is much more subjective than an 'attractive appearance'.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.