Turn on thread page Beta

Which is worse: Rejected because of your personality or looks? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure tbh.
    If someone doesn't like my personality then that's fair enough, you can't win em all and generally I'm happy with who I am, I choose to be who I am.
    If someone rejects you for your looks then that makes them shallow and that would put me off them anyway, but I would find that much more damaging to my self esteem.

ReputationRep:
    Looks 100%.
    You can never change an ugly face without surgery but you can learn to change an ugly personality over time.

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

You can change a personality much more than you can change the way you were born.

E.g. A shy person can learn to become more confident. An ugly person can't learn to make his facial features better.

ReputationRep:
    I find the study of the mating rituals of ugly people very fascinating as an outsider and I have used my superior brain mass and formulated this formula; although I doubt any of your inferior minds will comprehend it.

What would offend you more "We get on great, but I just don't find you physically attractive" or "I find you very attractive, but I just can't do with your personality."

I don't know about all the muff in the room, but the second line reads like a compliment to any red blooded male so the answer is clearly "Looks".

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I'm not the only person saying looks :ninja:
    If someone didn't like me because of my personality I'd think they were a **** to be honest and forget them pretty fast. If they didn't like my personality, they wouldn't like me so I wouldn't even know them that well to do anything in which I could get rejected by them (if that sentence makes sense :p:). If someone didn't like me because of my looks that would hurt :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    personality.

the idea of someone disliking me personally or finding me boring/dull or whatever is far worse than them simply not fancying me. everyone differs in what they find attractive, so i'm really not that bothered if someone doesn't find me particularly stunning.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of my guy friends I find interesting, I just can't see myself having a relationship with them. I like them but I don't finacy them, he probably see's you in this way. It doesn't mean he doesn't like you and just calling you pretty doesn't mean he wants a relationship, you can tell who is pretty and who isn't but you don't necessarily have to fancy them. Just don't let your friendship be ruined cos of this.

EDIT: to answer the question, personality. If someone rejected me cos of looks, they're just shallow, but I would hate someone to find me horrible cos of my personality.

ReputationRep:
    Only ugly people would say "Personality" as that's all that they have. Good looking people will always find a mate regardless of their personality.

ReputationRep:
    Looks

ReputationRep:
    looks

ReputationRep:
    For me it's looks. Personality is something you can change, looks are not.

Hmm. But... him not being attracted to my personality surely means that he finds me kind of dull in some ways? There's nothing special about me to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Darth Lettuce)
    Looks.

You can change a personality much more than you can change the way you were born.

E.g. A shy person can learn to become more confident. An ugly person can't learn to make his facial features better.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    both personality and looks can be changed get over it OP and start thinking about your personality and looks.

ReputationRep:
    Look for me
    Look for me
    Look for me
    Look for me
    Look for me
    Look for me
    Look for me
    CHIPMUNK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    contrasting opinions.

guys think looks can't be changed, personality can.

girls think looks can be changed, personality can't.
    It's probably because girls find it easier to change their looks, through a haircut or by wearing make up, whereas guys don't really get that chance
    I'd definitely rather be turned down by personality than by looks, because in my opinion, looks are what gets the attention, and personality is what keeps it. If you don't have looks then some people may not even give you the chance to show off your personality

ReputationRep:
    Well looks is probably worse...if it's an issue of personality then that probably just means that you are incompatible and don't share the same interests or whatever
    I don't think the issue of change is relevant, you shouldn't change your personality just to make someone like you!

ReputationRep:
    Looks.

ReputationRep:
    Looks, sad being turned down because he/she thought you were too butters to go out with

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.