Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is worse: Rejected because of your personality or looks? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    No. My friend finds me physically attractive. He's rejected me because my personality isn't 'attractive' or 'ideal' for him.

Hence the whole question: Which is it worse to be rejected for?
    Hence my whole answer, I said looks
    I said that people see your looks first, and then find out your personality
    and you said that your friend finds you attractive, but doesn't like your personality.
    How does that disagree with what I said?

ReputationRep:
    All these girls say they would rather be told they were disgusting than a horrible person. BS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pigwigeon)
    I'm of the opinion that personality does not change. Behaviour changes, of course, and obviously we as individuals can be aware of our behaviour and change it. But personality's completely different, and I don't think that can change because it is integral to who we are. Changing who we are on the outside, whilst expensive, is much easier. A completely off-topic example of this is those with gender identity disorders cannot change the way their minds believe they should be of the opposite sex to their bodies. They can't change their personalities, so many choose to change their bodies.
    Well I thought that with "Personality" it was more along the lines of.. paying for a fancy resturant :p:

ReputationRep:
    I woudn't be surprised if I was rejected because of my personality. Wouldn't really matter though, I can always pretend to be a good guy :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone assume that if someone rejects you for your personality it means you're boring/unfunny/annoying/horrible etc?
    I wouldn't date someone that I didn't really 'click' with; if I don't click with them it doesn't mean that they have a terrible personality, just that we'd get on better as friends.

ReputationRep:
    Looks has a more hurtful impact but personality is more long term, less easily dealt with. So Personality.

ReputationRep:
    Looks!

ReputationRep:
    Uhm, looks? It's sort of the difference between 'She's ugly' and 'She's ******* boring or horrible' or whatever, and I wouldn't really be toooo bothered about the latter. Plus, if I'm actually considered quite horrible or something then I wouldn't really care what someone thinks? Because.. I'm horrible? Meh I don't make sense.

ReputationRep:
    I got rejected today myself. I think he just didnt like me either way. But if i had to choose, i would say personality.

ReputationRep:
    Looks - it just shows shallowness. If I was rejected for my personality that's fair enough because not everyone is going to like me.

ReputationRep:
    By far looks. I mean, you CAN change personality (quite easily if you REALLY try) but if you're ugly then, well, you're stuck like that.

ReputationRep:
    Personality - I know I'm ugly anyway :dunno:

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said, both are equally hurtful but for me personality would be sligtly worse, it means that no matter how good looking you are, it isn't enough to want to be with that person. If looks aren't that great but you click with someone then maybe over time things could change but with personality I think that once someone knows you as "x y and z" its pretty hard to reconvince them that you are actually "a b and c" if that makes sense lol.

ReputationRep:
    For me... personality.

Would be a slap in the face.

ReputationRep:
    If somebody rejects you for your looks, then they are likely to be shallow and haven't considered your personality. If someone rejects you for your personality then you are probably not matched for each other.
    Personality is what truly counts in a relationship. When someone really likes you for who you are they don't think twice about your looks because they want to spend time with you and interact with you and get to know you more. If someone is going out with you purely for your looks then it is an extremely shallow thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    Looks by FAR. Personality can change. Looks, largerly, can't.

ReputationRep:
    ^ cosmetic surgery :lol:

ReputationRep:
    looks.
    You can change your personality as much as you want but not your looks (to an extent).

ReputationRep:
    Personality,
    Looks are just shallow
    Personality is who YOU are

ReputationRep:
    Personality.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.