Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Which is worse: Rejected because of your personality or looks? watch

ReputationRep:
    I've got everyone i need in my life, so if someone doesn't like me for who i am they can feck off

Which therefore leaves looks
    Not really pretty anyway, so it'd make the feeling even worse

ReputationRep:
    personally i think its the personality. I normally tend to attract people but they normally leave me after a while cause i tend to get boring at times: unless obviously someone is discussing sciences with me, i can go on forever without boring the other

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.... personality I'd say. I'm quite average looks-wise so if I got rejected I'd expect it to be for that. It doesn't help that I get all the "ginger" comments.

Personality - hmm... depends really. I'm made up of two different people, so there's probably going to be one part people don't like.

ReputationRep:
    personality...i can get over the fact that somebody doesn't find me physically attractive...

ReputationRep:
    I would say looks.. I can kind of deal with someone saying i'm 'boring' because i'm quiet but for someone to call me ugly would upset me considering i'm not the most confident of people anyway~

ReputationRep:
    worse is looks

ReputationRep:
    Being rejected because of your personality is tens times worse.

Looks......cos changing your personality is much cheaper than going under the knife!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rich_183)
    Looks......cos changing your personality is much cheaper than going under the knife!!!!!!!!!!
    Perhaps it is. But it's not all about money. I would never change my personality to be what other people want me to be. And it's easier to change your looks, because you're not required to relinquish your needs, previous beliefs, feelings etc. You're still the same person, only a more attractive one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Finally had the guts to ask out a friend of mine only to be shot down. It hurts because I thought we got on pretty well with each other, we're both chilled and have a couple of similar hobbies. He's told mutual friends in the past, that I'm kind of pretty so it's not like theres an issue of physical attraction.

I'm gutted. It just feels like I've been rejected because my personality didn't stand out to him or something. Now I don't know what to do with our friendship, since if thats the case, he obviously doesn't find me that interesting...

Not going to read the thread, may have been mentioned, but being rejected because of personality doesn't imply a bad personality... there's girls who are both good looking and enjoyable to be with who i share interests i wouldn't go out with... you know people can just enjoy friendship, right?

ReputationRep:
    Personality.

Genuine feelings can overcome physical changes (what if you become fat later on, or become disabled?) as long as the personalities of both people match. You wouldn't ditch your best friend for being ugly, would you?

ReputationRep:
    change to personality...who wants to be called boring

ReputationRep:
    personality... you dont get rejected on look simply because if someone doesnt liek your looks they wont com eon to you hence how can they reject you?

where as more typically: a guy likes you, spends tonnes of times, takes you out etc etc and then gets to know your personality is completely ugly/mean/crazy/shallow/hufflepuffish and doesnt like it he will reject you.

am i making sense?
    do i ever make sense?

Personality, because that's all I (like to think) have. :nopity:

ReputationRep:
    No poll?
    Looks would be worse, because you're born with them. A personality can be changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ipulledhermione)
    personality... you dont get rejected on look simply because if someone doesnt liek your looks they wont com eon to you hence how can they reject you?
    if you come on to them?

where as more typically: a guy likes you, spends tonnes of times, takes you out etc etc and then gets to know your personality is completely ugly/mean/crazy/shallow/hufflepuffish and doesnt like it he will reject you.
    not clicking with another personality enough to have a relationship is very different to thinking you have a horrible personality. You need that spark there and it takes exactly the right personality for that to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by death.drop)
    if you come on to them?

not clicking with another personality enough to have a relationship is very different to thinking you have a horrible personality. You need that spark there and it takes exactly the right personality for that to happen.
    i cant type for cookies..

thanks for saying better what i was thinking :P

ReputationRep:
    Personality.

Everyone likes different things in terms of looks. If someone's into tall voluptuous blondes, then I'm not going to be their cup of tea, being a short thin brunette. That's fine. There's plenty of other people who like women who look like me.

Everyone basically values the same personality traits. Who doesn't want their partner to be kind, funny, generous, intelligent and interesting? If you're rejected based on personality, they're basically saying that you lack one of these positive personality traits or possess a negative one... which can only be a reflection on you, not merely a matter of taste. Usually.

ReputationRep:
    Looks. Personality would probably be just that we don't 'click' or something. I've been rejected on looks before and it is a horrendous feeling, because you can't really change them that much!

ReputationRep:
    funny how all girls they personalty and guys say looks

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.