Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain the water power equation in the IB physics study guide?

ReputationRep:
    http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6434/wavemaths.gif

Max power available = (1/2)A^(2)Lpgv
    A is area. L is length of the wavefront. Rho (funny looking p) is density. g is gravitational field strength. v is the wave's velocity.

It's derived from PE=mgh
    Mass is calculated by density (p) times volume [(λ/2) x A x L]. NB: this is the volume of the shaded bit across L. h is just A which explains the A^2.
    This gives PE=(λ/2)A^(2)Lg

Power is energy per unit time, so we divide the above by time to get the final term. This is the same as multiplying by the waves frequency (f). Now f=v/λ, so the lambdas cancel and we are left with the power equation.

It's a bit of a rubbish model in my opinion. Everyone knows waves aren't square. Also I can't see how they can justify just using half of one trough of a wave (the shaded bit). Surely the potential energy is spread across the whole wave? I guess if it's experimentally consistent then fair enough, but I've seen no experiment that verifies it nor can I think of a way to test it to a suitable degree of uncertainty.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Applying to university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.