Turn on thread page Beta

Beware WastelandSki watch

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted to warn everyone about WastelandSki, a travel operator which organises the Ski trips for lots of universities. Be very careful about getting your damage deposit back from them. I advise you to take photographs of the room you stay in before you vacate it to prove that it is in a clean and reasonable condition or there is a strong risk that they will retain all of your deposit and claim that the room was left in a bad state. One of my friends recently went to Tignes with Wasteland and in the accommodation that she stayed in no fewer than 36 rooms (many with 3, 4 or 5 people in) had the full deposit kept back for cleaning. In total the hotel kept back very nearly 4000 Euros for cleaning! I believe this is a way of bumping up their profits to compensate for the discounted student rates thay offer. My friend said her room was immaculate when she left it yet she and her room-mates were charged 150 Euros for cleaning. She is really upset.

ReputationRep:
    Compared to the amount the holiday would have cost E150 between 3,4 or 5 people isnt much is it.................? Between 5 people thats 30 euros, or a night in the bar......

ReputationRep:
    Will I really don't think that is the point. It is theft to take money from people for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    And I guess the reason the company can get away with it is because people take the view that it isn't worth making a fuss about. My friend's share is 37.50Euros which for her is a lot of money.

ReputationRep:
    Wasteland rhymes with wasteman lol

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, exactly! Good point

ReputationRep:
    To be fair you wouldn't expect much from a company with the words "waste land" in it.

ReputationRep:
    Wasteland is horrible! I went to tignes with them recently and they had me waiting outside for 6 hours because they messed all of our rooms up. Our rep was about as useful as a chocolate tea pot when it came to the room not being as described and general info. I slept on a bloody couch for crying out loud! DO NOT BOOK WITH THESE GUYS! My ski holiday was ruined because they messed up my ski lessons and wanted to charge me more than I had already booked. Also they sneak up with fees for the deposit. I got slammed with a 'communal charge' because some idiot trashed their room and everyone from our uni group had to pay the damages. If I can urge students not to go with wasteland and achieve this, I will be so pleased. They are the worst travel company ever and genuinely don't care about students. They just try to con students out of money.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they were pretty rubbish with deposits when I went. My friends got charged for stuff they knew they hadn't done. Luckily ours was fine. I don't think that's wasteland though it's more the apartments themselves. To be fair our rep did warn us and encouraged us to clean /hoover before we checked out.

ReputationRep:
    Don't have an unauthorised accident because they have been caught saying that they can't get medical help and put everything down to drinking. No such thing as 'concussion' apparently.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 31, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.