Turn on thread page Beta

horrible experience at my GP- now what? watch

I visited my GP today with some things that have been bugging me for about a year:
    insane "periods", which can last a few hours, 3-4 days of constant pain or on off bleeding for over a week!
    thinning hair
    constant exhaustion/cold (24/7, i have no energy or concentration)
    sudden bit of acne at 18/19

i take care of myself; eat well, drink very little, walk & practice yoga daily. she first said i looked "okay, maybe underweight" but my bmi was 21 and she started asking me generic questions about my lifestyle. despite my healthy weight/blood pressure and slow heart beat she said i looked like "a couch potato" "tired" and "wrecked".
    i was pretty insulted by her comments and how condescending she was, and feel awful as it's taken me a long time to get the courage to even admit these things to a doctor.

my blood is being tested(get results wed/thurs), and a thyroid problem is suspected, but if it's nothing then she told me "this is just your life". i welled up as soon as i left and have been crying on/off all day because i can't stand the thought of the rest of my life feeling this ******. being a 19 year old girl going bald, putting my life on hold during my crazy periods and having barely enough energy to just do the essential things like go to university and have a shower :|
    i thought they could at least put me on bc pill to regulate my periods!
    if it's nothing, and my gp won't do anything, should i try another gp? register with my uni's doctor? or will i just have to accept that this is my life?
    i know doctors can only do so much but i'm frustrated!

ReputationRep:
    Personally i'd see another doctor if i were you.. im gunna assume that others will tell you to report the gp you saw etc but if i were you i wouldnt as its ones word against the other.. just seem someone else

get a new gp.

you look tired and wrecked because there is something wrong with your periods....not because of your lifestyle. it doesnt take a genious to work that out.

ReputationRep:
    hey:hugs: i would wait and see what your blood tests bring up when you get them back next week, then you'll have a clearer idea of what's going on. However, if you're not happy seeing this doctor, is there perhaps another doctor in your practice you can see? i have 3 in mine and had seen one on 2 occasions when i was there and i really didn't feel he was doing much to help my problems so when i next booked an appointment i just asked for the other doctor. No, you definitely shouldn't have to live like that, as i said your blood test will make it clearer what is wrong and hopefully they can start treatment xx

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a rubbish doctor to me! I had a similar problem when I was 16-18 my GP did not take me seriously, despite me feeling ill for a long time. When I actually ill from about three different things she looked shocked and got put back in her place.

I tend to think people know if they don't feel right. And if you feel wrong in yourself then I would suggest it isn't normal. You should remember though that a GP isnt a mindreader and if you wanted to be put on the pill, you should have mentioned it when you were there as im sure they would prescribe you with something no problem.

Wait and see what the tests say, and if it does come through as all negative go and see your uni GP and ask for their advice. You shouldn't feel loyal to one doctor, I did and then when I got to Uni and had others I realised how absolutely crap mine had been!

ReputationRep:
    Report the GP you just saw NHS advice site
    And go to another doctor for a second opinion, is there another doctor at the same practice you could see?

ReputationRep:
    Second opinion.

I've had some pretty horrifying encounters with medics over the years, not all of which I've reported.

If you feel unhappy with your treatment then seek another opinion, you have done nothing wrong and it really is not a large thing to swap Doctors if you feel uncomfortable.

I know its hard waiting for blood tests but hopefully they might turn up something. I'm sorry you're upset its probably worsened by the tiredness you feel, so maybe take that into account. Hope you can get the matter sorted out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I visited my GP today with some things that have been bugging me for about a year:
    insane "periods", which can last a few hours, 3-4 days of constant pain or on off bleeding for over a week!
    thinning hair
    constant exhaustion/cold (24/7, i have no energy or concentration)
    sudden bit of acne at 18/19

i take care of myself; eat well, drink very little, walk & practice yoga daily. she first said i looked "okay, maybe underweight" but my bmi was 21 and she started asking me generic questions about my lifestyle. despite my healthy weight/blood pressure and slow heart beat she said i looked like "a couch potato" "tired" and "wrecked".
    i was pretty insulted by her comments and how condescending she was, and feel awful as it's taken me a long time to get the courage to even admit these things to a doctor.

my blood is being tested(get results wed/thurs), and a thyroid problem is suspected, but if it's nothing then she told me "this is just your life". i welled up as soon as i left and have been crying on/off all day because i can't stand the thought of the rest of my life feeling this ******. being a 19 year old girl going bald, putting my life on hold during my crazy periods and having barely enough energy to just do the essential things like go to university and have a shower :|
    i thought they could at least put me on bc pill to regulate my periods!
    if it's nothing, and my gp won't do anything, should i try another gp? register with my uni's doctor? or will i just have to accept that this is my life?
    i know doctors can only do so much but i'm frustrated!

some doctors are just retards.
    i had to show one of mine how to work the computer system.

ReputationRep:
    A GP I once had told me that my stomach pains were just bad period pains, despite me telling him I NEVER get them. Turns out I had an ulcer D:

See a different GP!

ReputationRep:
    You need to seek a second opinion. Her manner was unacceptable and I agree with Kittykatkat that you ought to report her. I hope you find someone more helpful, sympathetic and knowledgeable!

(Original post by Kittykatkat)
    Report the GP you just saw NHS advice site
    And go to another doctor for a second opinion, is there another doctor at the same practice you could see?
    i'll probably register with my uni's doctor if there's nothing on the tests and i'm told to just lump it.
    my family love our doctor and insist i don't leave, but i've only had bad experiences. ie, two years ago the other main doctor there kept prescriping me antibiotics for an absyss in my arm until i saw the third doctor there who sent me immediately to hospital to have it removed before my elbow joint got infected and wrekced! that dctor's only there one or two days a week though.

ReputationRep:
    That sounds horrible :hugs: definitely see another doctor. Hope you feel better soon

ReputationRep:
    Ok, here's what to do

1. Firstly your gp did a GOOD thing in getting a blood test, the symptoms you describe could be linked to thyroid
    2. It's very very possible you misunderstood the way she was trying to get it across, maybe commenting on it to make her seem more personal, hope you'll open up, and was probably even concerned. On the other hand, you are clearly upset about it- and have every right to complain

so

1. speak to the GP manager, write a letter of complaint, and also make an appointment with a different GP AFTER you get the blood test results back
    2. Also log this complaint with the GMC. Or atleast threaten to complain, if you want any advice about this here is a link: http://www.gmc-uk.org/concerns/makin...laint/3841.asp
    3. Finally seek advice with your local PALS: http://www.pals.nhs.uk/

Hope this helps and you get your problem sorted soon, however don't be put off seeing a doctor- i'm sure it was possibly a misunderstanding or a mistake an apology will sort out

ReputationRep:
    See another GP. I know this isn't the same circumstances but I went to the GP cos I couldn't hear very well. One guy told me it was an ear infection and there was no wax and to leave it. I went back after 2 weeks and the same GP gave me some spray for this supposed ear infection. Still no results, so I went to another GP who told me my ear was really badly blocked with wax and how could the other GP not have seen it. Yeah...I know it's pretty sick hearing about my blocked ears but just see another GP, most just can't be bothered cos they get paid loads to just hear problems all day.

ReputationRep:
    aw I'm sorry to hear that.

Get a new doctor, it's easy enough to do. Or go into private healthcare if you can afford it, personally I don't think the NHS is very effective.

And if you want to do something about your laziness: get some exercise, and maybe set yourself some targets to achieve. Having a shower and going to university are two very different things though lol.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    aw I'm sorry to hear that.

Get a new doctor, it's easy enough to do. Or go into private healthcare if you can afford it, personally I don't think the NHS is very effective.

And if you want to do something about your laziness: get some exercise, and maybe set yourself some targets to achieve. Having a shower and going to university are two very different things though lol.

Good luck
    :toofunny: are you basing this on one off incident?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    :toofunny: are you basing this on one off incident?
    um no. it's just that they don't really pay attention to young people unless they are pregnant, have an eating disorder or AIDS. that's my experience anyway, i can't go to the doctor anymore without feeling self conscious.

ReputationRep:
    OP try different doctor, but try to understand that you choose to be open with your GP and she decided to be personal
    and don't take the insult too personally because im sure she acted in the best interests of your health.

ReputationRep:
    deffinetly see another GP. one time i went to a GP because i was always tierd and felt week. he measured my blood pressure and told me it's higher than usual. then he asked me about my lifestyle and what's different and the whole time i was telling him what was wrong he just sat there smiling at me. i felt very odd!

ReputationRep:
    Does sound a bit thyroid-y. Do post your blood test results.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.