Turn on thread page Beta

horrible experience at my GP- now what? watch

(Original post by MrHappy_J)
    aw I'm sorry to hear that.

Get a new doctor, it's easy enough to do. Or go into private healthcare if you can afford it, personally I don't think the NHS is very effective.

And if you want to do something about your laziness: get some exercise, and maybe set yourself some targets to achieve. Having a shower and going to university are two very different things though lol.

Good luck
    okay i'm not lazy at all, i do as much as i can. i walk a lot and do yoga daily :/ just doing this, going to uni and daily stuff kills me. when i'm working i do a 9-10 hour day and go to sleep as soon as i get in, and if i try to have a night out i can fall to sleep in a club by midnight and am useless the next day, without alcohol!

ReputationRep:
    Seek alternative medical advice? Sounds a *****
    Hope it gets resolved and the test results shed some light x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    okay i'm not lazy at all, i do as much as i can. i walk a lot and do yoga daily :/ just doing this, going to uni and daily stuff kills me. when i'm working i do a 9-10 hour day and go to sleep as soon as i get in, and if i try to have a night out i can fall to sleep in a club by midnight and am useless the next day, without alcohol!
    my friend's brother has similar symptoms to yours. he was diagnosed with something but I can't remember the name. It was probably this:

http://www.steadyhealth.com/articles...t_a200_f0.html

do the symptoms described sound familiar to you?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, sorry to hear that. I remember when I started having terrible panic attacks / anxiety after I stopped smoking cannabis. I poured my heart out to this one doctor, and he sort of chuckled and said he had never come across something like that, and offered me antidepressants.

I took them but wasn't reassured and saw another doctor a few days later who was more helpful, but still had an appropriate manner. I at least felt he listened to me. Long story short, he gave me a finite amount of Valium to get over the hump of the antidepressants, and that coupled with his consideration helped me through the worst.

Go see another doctor, and maybe look into either Counselling, or getting a book on depression/stress etc. Sometimes you don't even know you're stressed.

(Original post by tinshed)
    deffinetly see another GP. one time i went to a GP because i was always tierd and felt week. he measured my blood pressure and told me it's higher than usual. then he asked me about my lifestyle and what's different and the whole time i was telling him what was wrong he just sat there smiling at me. i felt very odd!
    did you see another gp and find out what the proble was? i get really weak in the day, i got so weak and dizzy on wednesday just from carrying my laundry :o:

ReputationRep:
    um no. it's just that they don't really pay attention to young people unless they are pregnant, have an eating disorder or AIDS. that's my experience anyway, i can't go to the doctor anymore without feeling self conscious.
    The doctors in the NHS are often the same as in private, just at different times of the week. Don't slate the NHS unnecessarily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fraser_Integration)
    The doctors in the NHS are often the same as in private, just at different times of the week. Don't slate the NHS unnecessarily.
    it's just my opinion...I don't know why people are so leniant towards them anyway, they've always recieved so much stick.

and if private doctors are the same as doctors from the NHS...well that can't be a good thing, can it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    she said i looked like "a couch potato" "tired" and "wrecked".
    i was pretty insulted by her comments and how condescending she was, and feel awful as it's taken me a long time to get the courage to even admit these things to a doctor.

my blood is being tested(get results wed/thurs), and a thyroid problem is suspected, but if it's nothing then she told me "this is just your life". i welled up as soon as i left and have been crying on/off all day because i can't stand the thought of the rest of my life feeling this ******. being a 19 year old girl going bald, putting my life on hold during my crazy periods and having barely enough energy to just do the essential things like go to university and have a shower :|
    i thought they could at least put me on bc pill to regulate my periods!
    if it's nothing, and my gp won't do anything, should i try another gp? register with my uni's doctor? or will i just have to accept that this is my life?
    i know doctors can only do so much but i'm frustrated!

If those phrases were used in the context you described.

Then that's some GREAT communication skills, where did she get her licence from Medical License R Us

See another GP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Remarqable M)
    OP try different doctor, but try to understand that you choose to be open with your GP and she decided to be personal
    and don't take the insult too personally because im sure she acted in the best interests of your health.

Or she could just be a muppet. Once you get the test results I'd see another GP.This doesn't mean she isn't a good doctor but in my opinion she could have been a bit more tactful and less judgemental. At least until she had got the results back and then maybe thought a bit more carefully about how she bring up the subject of lifestyle up,with a patient who was obviously a bit distressed about thinning hair etc. Girls I would think would worry a lot of stuff like that.

Hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    did you see another gp and find out what the proble was? i get really weak in the day, i got so weak and dizzy on wednesday just from carrying my laundry :o:
    unfortunatly I didn't see another GP but the problem was that I got a part time job and was getting stressed out and didn't eat properly. I would come home late at night and just collapse onto my bed without eating dinner. I had the same problem when I moved to uni. during the last summer I felt so bad that I lost 2 dress sizes. I didn't eat or exercise, all I did was sleep all day and night because I was tierd. When I started going for long walks and eating at least once a day I slowly got better. fresh air helped a lot.

ReputationRep:
    As everyone's already said, change your GP. I'm not sure what your surgery is like but at mine I have someone who is 'my' doctor, but I am allowed to make an appointment with whoever's free so it's very flexible. Change practices if you have to; things will undoubtedly come up in future and it's not worth having to deal with this woman again.

Try not to take any notice of what this doctor said to you. Ultimately it's your body and you know if something's wrong, which in this case it clearly is. I had a problem a few years back when people were so dismissive of me I was beginning to even doubt myself. I got through so many doctors, but in the end I had to get pushy. And it's lucky I did, because if I hadn't I probably would no longer have a functioning reproductive system. Doctors are great in many ways, but nobody knows your body better than you.

(Original post by vas876)
    If those phrases were used in the context you described.

Then that's some GREAT communication skills, where did she get her licence from Medical License R Us

See another GP
    it was just "if the blood tests are normal then this is just your life" i belieeeve. i just spoke to my dad and he says she's a bit of a 'hippy" and is really reluctant to actually give prescriptions to people :confused:
    if my tests show something, i'll go back and ask to see a different GP. if they show nothing, ill still ask to see a different one to see if theres anyway to sort out any of the problems

ReputationRep:
    it's just my opinion...I don't know why people are so leniant towards them anyway, they've always recieved so much stick.

and if private doctors are the same as doctors from the NHS...well that can't be a good thing, can it?
    Private doctors (apart from a few from overseas and a few who've totally sold out) are for the large part consultants who work predominantly for the NHS but do the occasional clinic/theatre list at a private hospital. Working in the NHS they are more likely to have more training, see more acutely unwell people, get more experience of difficult procedures... because private hospitals just won't take "dangerous" patients. Working privately, you have more time with each patient, which on its own leads to greater patient satisfaction, and you aren't permanently driven by targets etc. You might not like the NHS but the private system would not survive without it.

Anyway, this OP's doctor sounds like she has crap personal skills but her clinical assessment doesn't sound too far off.

ReputationRep:
    it was just "if the blood tests are normal then this is just your life" i belieeeve. i just spoke to my dad and he says she's a bit of a 'hippy" and is really reluctant to actually give prescriptions to people :confused:
    if my tests show something, i'll go back and ask to see a different GP. if they show nothing, ill still ask to see a different one to see if theres anyway to sort out any of the problems

Hmm, well it's not right of her to say that theres nothing more they can do after blood test results. Good idea in seeing a GP, i always say they're like hairdressers- you have to get a good one you gel with! My mum has stuck by the same GP for years but i just never liked her, she never looked at me when talking to me, and just kept asking me how my periods were even when i went in with a leg problem lol However at my uni i have a GP now who is fab, always asks the right questions, plus I sometimes see him at uni now and again and he says hi..which is weird!!

ReputationRep:
    I went to my GP about tiredness, dizziness and headaches and he asked me if I drank and I said rarely, occasionally have some wine with dinner and he just acted like he didn't believe me. He asked if I did any excercise and I said I go swimming 1-3 times a week and walk to and from work which is 2 miles away and he said "well I'm afraid going shopping doesn't count as excercise :rolleyes: "
    He told me to stop binge drinking at the weekend and to do some excercise :mad:

I changed my GP and my new one took me seriously and fixed the problem

Change your GP if you're not happy with them

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take it personally, shes doing everything right- the tests etc, she just has bad banter.

ReputationRep:
    Go. and. see. another. gp.

ReputationRep:
    All GPs want your blood presure, weight, exercise, smoking and alcohol on the system to get the practice money, so those questions are just routine.

ReputationRep:
    When I was suffering from depression, my GP said she just thought I was a bit of an attention seeker.

Pah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Helenia)

Anyway, this OP's doctor sounds like she has crap personal skills but her clinical assessment doesn't sound too far off.
    Yup. Despite her not so great consultation skills - she's still done the right tests... which will show if that's right

Does it not sound classic hypothyroid? That said I've not done endo yet...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.