Turn on thread page Beta

horrible experience at my GP- now what? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Yup. Despite her not so great consultation skills - she's still done the right tests... which will show if that's right

Does it not sound classic hypothyroid? That said I've not done endo yet...

Symptoms of hypothyroidism usually go along with a slowdown in metabolism, and can include fatigue, weight gain, however the GP made an asessment of the OP being rather underweight and weak. Although no patient ever fits a textbook - i could be wrong though, but we've been taught the presentation is usually similar ie in hair quality, tiredness, reaction to hot/cold and abnormal period cycles in women

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrHappy_J)
    aw I'm sorry to hear that.

Get a new doctor, it's easy enough to do.
    it's not hard at all especially if it;s a multi- doc practice - neither Mrs Zippy or myself see our list GP instead preferring to see one or two of the others and if it;s urgent whoever has the first appointment

Or go into private healthcare if you can afford it, personally I don't think the NHS is very effective.
    for what purpose - the OPs GP has investigated a likely cause,

there are no magic cures for anything , did the OPs GP doany assessments from the point of view of looking for depression etc ...

And if you want to do something about your laziness: get some exercise, and maybe set yourself some targets to achieve. Having a shower and going to university are two very different things though lol.

Good luck
    exactly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fraser_Integration)
    The doctors in the NHS are often the same as in private, just at different times of the week. Don't slate the NHS unnecessarily.
    extremely valid point

GMS contract GPs are technically 'private' anyway ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I visited my GP today with some things that have been bugging me for about a year:
    insane "periods", which can last a few hours, 3-4 days of constant pain or on off bleeding for over a week!
    thinning hair
    constant exhaustion/cold (24/7, i have no energy or concentration)
    sudden bit of acne at 18/19

i take care of myself; eat well, drink very little, walk & practice yoga daily. she first said i looked "okay, maybe underweight" but my bmi was 21 and she started asking me generic questions about my lifestyle. despite my healthy weight/blood pressure and slow heart beat she said i looked like "a couch potato" "tired" and "wrecked".
    i was pretty insulted by her comments and how condescending she was, and feel awful as it's taken me a long time to get the courage to even admit these things to a doctor.

my blood is being tested(get results wed/thurs), and a thyroid problem is suspected, but if it's nothing then she told me "this is just your life". i welled up as soon as i left and have been crying on/off all day because i can't stand the thought of the rest of my life feeling this ******. being a 19 year old girl going bald, putting my life on hold during my crazy periods and having barely enough energy to just do the essential things like go to university and have a shower :|
    i thought they could at least put me on bc pill to regulate my periods!
    if it's nothing, and my gp won't do anything, should i try another gp? register with my uni's doctor? or will i just have to accept that this is my life?
    i know doctors can only do so much but i'm frustrated!
    Simple solution. Try another gp. They can do a lot more than that.

(Original post by Philosoraptor)
    Yup. Despite her not so great consultation skills - she's still done the right tests... which will show if that's right

Does it not sound classic hypothyroid? That said I've not done endo yet...
    wow, i've just looked up hypothyroidism and it sounds exactly like me :s my skin's gone rather dry when it's never been dry before and i have no sex drive. i haven't gained weight but i'e noticed i do gain weight easily, so i don't eat as much as i probably should to stay at my current weight.

i'm kind of hopeful there IS something wrong in my tests, so a least there's something to fix!

I visited my GP today with some things that have been bugging me for about a year:
    insane "periods", which can last a few hours, 3-4 days of constant pain or on off bleeding for over a week!
    thinning hair
    constant exhaustion/cold (24/7, i have no energy or concentration)
    sudden bit of acne at 18/19

i take care of myself; eat well, drink very little, walk & practice yoga daily. she first said i looked "okay, maybe underweight" but my bmi was 21 and she started asking me generic questions about my lifestyle. despite my healthy weight/blood pressure and slow heart beat she said i looked like "a couch potato" "tired" and "wrecked".
    i was pretty insulted by her comments and how condescending she was, and feel awful as it's taken me a long time to get the courage to even admit these things to a doctor.

my blood is being tested(get results wed/thurs), and a thyroid problem is suspected, but if it's nothing then she told me "this is just your life". i welled up as soon as i left and have been crying on/off all day because i can't stand the thought of the rest of my life feeling this ******. being a 19 year old girl going bald, putting my life on hold during my crazy periods and having barely enough energy to just do the essential things like go to university and have a shower :|
    i thought they could at least put me on bc pill to regulate my periods!
    if it's nothing, and my gp won't do anything, should i try another gp? register with my uni's doctor? or will i just have to accept that this is my life?
    i know doctors can only do so much but i'm frustrated!
    You want the doctor to put you on the contraceptive pill before they even know what it is they are treating?

Wait for the blood test results.

i had some test results today:
    blood count was normal, as was my "bone profile" but i'm not 100% sure what a bone profile is for! i don't think it is for thyroid, google/nhs making me think there is a separate thyroid function test which is supposed to take longer to get back(one week)

ReputationRep:
    i had some test results today:
    blood count was normal, as was my "bone profile" but i'm not 100% sure what a bone profile is for! i don't think it is for thyroid, google/nhs making me think there is a separate thyroid function test which is supposed to take longer to get back(one week)

I think that looks at calcium, phosphate, albumin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.