Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone else been entered for the Biology Olymipiad this year?
    Our school has entered 10 from our year and was just wondering how hard it is.
    Was looking at the syllabus questions (multiple choice) and they looked pretty tricky.
    Shame couldnt put this on ucas

anyways to those involved in it good luck, i heard only 1 person has ever got a gold in my school. great...

ReputationRep:
    yea im doing it and theres about 6 of us doing it at my school. A gold usually means you in the top 200 ish in the country so yea its pretty hard haha. Im in year 12 and apparently the best a year 12 has ever got is a bronze :s How come you cant put it on UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    My school's never even mentioned the biology olympiad to us...
    grrr our biology teachers suck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarah182)
    My school's never even mentioned the biology olympiad to us...
    grrr our biology teachers suck!
    Found an old paper there was over 100 questions in first part - no answers though
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Panorama)
    Found an old paper there was over 100 questions in first part - no answers though
    It's not too difficult, just try learning some key points from a bio dictionary. When I did it last year they favoured the bloody plants, so it kinda threw everyone (no one likes plants...)

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could have found out about this sooner and told my school to enter!

I hated doing a similar thing for Maths GCSE which we were consistently forced to attempt, but I would have loved to have taken part in this!

Not sure if I can enter next year as I'm in Year 13 Sad times

ReputationRep:
    There is also a chemistry one soon - I'm doing it but not sure when.

I agree about the maths one - pretty pleased with my silver this year
    though

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing this on thursday- good luck everyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Strangey)
    It's not too difficult, just try learning some key points from a bio dictionary. When I did it last year they favoured the bloody plants, so it kinda threw everyone (no one likes plants...)

Is there any preference for anything specific this year? Cells, plants, enzymes...?

got this on thursday too, want at least SOMETHING to put on UCAS

ReputationRep:
    I've got it tomorrow, was looking forward to it('cos it's biology!), but now I'm scared after realising how little I know..:ninja: eeeep...
    Getting a medal or something would be so awesome, wouldn't it? =D

Good luck guys and have fun! =]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nimbus)
    I've got it tomorrow, was looking forward to it('cos it's biology!), but now I'm scared after realising how little I know..:ninja: eeeep...
    Getting a medal or something would be so awesome, wouldn't it? =D

Good luck guys and have fun! =]

Hey, how did it go

think you could give me a list of shizzle to revise please?
    there's been no preparation at my school so i'm goign with the

"if i read everything i might recognise it" theory :\

ReputationRep:
    Hey, what did you lot recon to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gabzel31)
    Hey, what did you lot recon to it?
    Managed about half and then wildly guessed the rest.
    I did mine on Tuesday!!
    When do we get the results?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyuHADOUKEN)
    Hey, how did it go

think you could give me a list of shizzle to revise please?
    there's been no preparation at my school so i'm goign with the

"if i read everything i might recognise it" theory :\
    Hi,

Yeah it was alright, some questions were really challenging and had to think hard about it, while a few were completely alien to me so had to guess.xD

sorry but I don't think we're allowed to reveal the details until everyone's done it? But it's basically biology and it's hard to define everything anyways!

I don't think any school gives students any preps really(unless some people go to "certain" schools..:p:) so we're all pretty much in the same boat.

Hope it went well. =]

(Original post by Panorama)
    When do we get the results?
    I "think" I heard my teacher say sometime at the end of this month(but that's from ym chemistry teacher...xD). But it sounds reasonable as the second round is between end of feb/march isn't it?

Good luck everyone! =]

ReputationRep:
    This paper was sooo long, and some of the questions I just lol'd at. I was almost certain they made up some words, like ovoviviparous but Wiki has reassured me they are real :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nerdman09)
    This paper was sooo long, and some of the questions I just lol'd at. I was almost certain they made up some words, like ovoviviparous but Wiki has reassured me they are real :P
    They are definetely real :P

ReputationRep:
    i lol'd at the seals with flippers question...anyone take ocr f214 in january?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't do anything for it. Felt most of the question were good except the genetics ones which I had no idea about. (as we haven't done it)

The chemistry one was impossible. Our teacher who did NatSci at Cambridge only got 56% when he did it with us! Ha.

ReputationRep:
    I hate the fact that there were soo much on evolution/psychology-ish stuff - I've never came across them before. o__o
    All those options about conditioning...nearly thought they were talking about hair care at one point. :p:
    *is someone who knows zilch about the above*

(Original post by Hedgehunter)
    The chemistry one was impossible.
    Which one (or ones.xD) was that? Is it bad that I cannot remember much other than the genetics, random vocabulary tests(like the viviparous stuff.xD), the biochemistry stuff (:teeth:)...and evolution/psychology...? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry about the double post, thought I might as well revive the thread since the results are out! =]
    Here is the link to the Gold/Silver/Bronzen/commendation results. ^^:
    http://www.biology-olympiad.org.uk/c...d%20Medals.pdf

Congrats everyone who got a a place up there! =]

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 17, 2010

University open days

1. Loughborough University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    Churchill College Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
  3. Richmond, The American International University in London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.