Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever skipped university before? watch

ReputationRep:
    much too often!

however, i can't say it's surprising considering my attendance at school. mine was the lowest throughout sixth form, yet i got the highest grades. i worried at first when i came to university that i'd really have to buckle down, but i'm still doing well despite missing quite a few lectures. i do want to make more of an effort though. i am paying for this, afterall.

lectures are generally a waste of time though. you can almost always learn more at home in half an hour than you could at a lecture for twice as long.

Did it frequently last year, didn't see the point in going to lectures which taught me things I knew already. However, this year I only missed one lecture and seminar due to illness.

ReputationRep:
    yup, my bed was begging me to stay a few more extra hours

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottyLP)
    Wait until you have a stinking hangover and a 9am lecture. Bed wins everytime.
    I completely agree.

4pm is a struggle with a stinking hangover. I discovered that one on Tuesday :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I've genuinely missed about 70% of stuff this year because it was "too cold to get out of bed".

ReputationRep:
    managed 6/13 this week - tbf though i'm normally a lot better than that, at least 10/13

ReputationRep:
    My attendance at lectures last year was below 30%. Went to tutorials and labs though (they're important, need to go to the tutorials and labs).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgia)
    This.

Even if you're not hungover, and you're just tired, bed will win.
    Screw it, even if you're not tired, bed wins. Final.

As for skipping lectures, I skipped 3 lectures and a tutorial today, 2 lectures and a tutorial yesterday, have only attended half of either in total, and yet am still aiming for a first.

I love bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tompazr)
    Lectures are massively overrated and most of the people who go to them just go to get the lecture notes. If all notes for my course were pre-printed, I'd go to almost 0.
    Oh god, I agree. I'm so thankful that most of mine aren't pre-printed, as the motivation to go would ACTUALLY be zero...

I go to the majority of mine as I wouldn't be doing anything productive otherwise, and I'll fall behind quite quickly if I don't. Also, I hate going to the next one and not knowing quite where we finished last time. That doesn't stop me skipping occasionally, though. This term I've been really good, only skipped 2 in the last 3 weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScottyLP)
    Wait until you have a stinking hangover and a 9am lecture. Bed wins everytime.
    then dont drink so much, and go to bed earlier!

ReputationRep:
    i can count the number of lectures ive attended on my fingers

ReputationRep:
    Yes one or two every week. I normally go to everything at the start of the week but late nights catch up with me so I often skip stuff on Thursdays/Fridays. I have 9am lectures/classes 5 days a week though so I think I do pretty well considering. My attendance at school was literally 100% because my parents would never let me stay off for anything so now that I'm away from home if I want to miss a day, I will.

ReputationRep:
    Surely tutors will find out about absences when they look at the register or check their inboxes to see if they receive/don't receive messages titled "I can't come in today because of blip blip blip".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    Surely tutors will find out about absences when they look at the register or check their inboxes to see if they receive/don't receive messages titled "I can't come in today because of blip blip blip".
    Tutors were students once too!

ReputationRep:
    I normally miss all lectures before 11. I just think screw it argghggh. But I've been a bit better this year

ReputationRep:
    yep, missed 4 weeks of lectures last semester. not very good i know.

ReputationRep:
    Tbh, I dont think theres one person on my course whos been to every lec!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    For most people, lectures are optional - so they won't have registers or anything. I guess it depends on uni policies when people miss tutorials/etc.

ReputationRep:
    I miss too much uni, this week I have a valid excuse as I have been really ill, like the, I'm so ill I can't even drag myself to the doctors kind =\.

I miss a lot of lectures, the notes are always online after, so I catch up on them where necessary, and I'm still getting firsts and 2:1s, so I don't see the issue. Then again I never did with skipping sixthform either.

ReputationRep:
    Hah, happened all too much last year. Missed even 10am lectures, especially when they were my only Friday ones. I barely scraped a pass for that part of my course haha.

Last semester missed too many; been better this semester though, which is odd...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.