Turn on thread page Beta

Have you ever skipped university before? watch

(Original post by chap54)
    Show me a person who says they've never missed a lecture/seminar and I will show you a lier.
    I haven't.

(That's fair enough, though, seeing as I'm not at university yet, and I'm just being pedantic.)

ReputationRep:
    Everyone, do any of your lectures take registers and do you contact your tutors?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    everytime i read the replies saying they've skipped alot of lectures, i die a bit inside

i know its not the same but i've only ever bunked a lesson once, from years 7 to 12 so far, i can't miss lessons otherwise i feel wrong and like theres something missing lmao
    cos you only did it once lol

I never skipped any school lessons, i have missed alot of lectures

it is, i have to say, completly different!! There is no teacher, you learn alot less... no one cares

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rimipie)
    everytime i read the replies saying they've skipped alot of lectures, i die a bit inside

i know its not the same but i've only ever bunked a lesson once, from years 7 to 12 so far, i can't miss lessons otherwise i feel wrong and like theres something missing lmao
    what if the lecture is pointless? eg the lecturer gives a detailed handout, then just reads it out. just print off the handout on the computer and dont bother going.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by EierVonSatan)
    Of course, you'll be hard pressed to find someone who attended every lecture, tutorial, seminar, lab, workshop etc.
    I haven't missed a class since starting my BA, and now I'm half way through my masters.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Of course not :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    what you've never missed a single lecture?? not even out of necessity?
    Apart from what I said no.

I'm tight when it comes to money,so I don't like missing lectures to get my money's worth or I'm too much of a goody two-shoes to miss one...meh you're choice. :p:

ReputationRep:
    A LOT. But we've started our new units today, and the lecturer is fit! I'll be going to that one

ReputationRep:
    I started off quite well. But nowadays my coursemates and I all go out on Wednesdays every week without fail and get ******.

And I have a 10am on Thursday. And a 12pm. And a 4pm and a 5pm. I'm usually lucky if I make it to the 4pm. It's ******* terrible to be honest. I think I'll quit Wednesdays. Other than that I make it to most things (although every once in a while I skip a class or a lecture to go for a drink which is a bit awful too ). This last week I was ridiculously ill and I still decided to go to 3 of my 13 contact hours purely out of guilt at all the ones I'd missed just because I'd been out and couldn't be arsed... Even though I actually had a good reason to be at home. So I was sitting there feverishly shivering and wide-eyed in my classes like, "No! You will not be a lazy ****! How dare you think you have a decent excuse to skip lectures! YOU'RE NOT EVEN THAT ILL! *puke*" Think that may have been the fever...

Anyway, of the two actual lectures I have (the rest are seminars or grammar/reading/speaking classes which are DEFINITELY always always ALWAYS useful), one is absurdly useful, and the other one is complete ****. Unfortunately the completely **** one is compulsory. Fortunately no one seems to check the register and you can "backdate" your attendance :king1:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jukukiwaiyi)
    *gloats* what on earth do you attend 9am lectures for? are you crazy?
    You do realise that when you get a proper job, you'll most likely be starting at 9am five days a week yes?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I try to avoid it, but I missed quite a few last semester.

I am aiming for full attendance this semester!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sambo2)
    hahaha lol.. every student has missed at least 1 lecture - I know some that don't turn up to any..

lectures are a particularly shoddy way to learn anyway..
    The keyword is skipped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pink Bullets)
    You do realise that when you get a proper job, you'll most likely be starting at 9am five days a week yes?
    oh...

meh, im glad i kept that noose anyway, where did i put it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalalalalalamember)
    Have you ever skipped university before?
    ...who hasnt?

ReputationRep:
    Infact, sometimes it can be strategic to miss class if you believe you can work more efficiently independantly. Let's be honest, lectures are usually an hour long with say 45-50 slides. If you can read and take in the info on each slide in about 30-45 seconds, you can a) learn the material quicker, b) pay more attention to it and c) read around the subject instead of sitting in a lecture theatre thinking "ok...now i'm just lost"...

At my uni unfortunately we have to sign into lectures, otherwise I would've taken a few more off than I was able to!

ReputationRep:
    Skipped? No.
    Missed due to being ill/snowed in? Yes. And I even emailed the lecturers to let them know.

Hey, I'm thinking about my reference now - I've got to give them something to go on in case all else fails :p:

That, and I have a conscience which does nothing but nag.

ReputationRep:
    I missed a lot of uni on my first degree. I was barely ever there!

Now when I go back in september to do another course I plan on attending everything I can (unless I'm ill). I'm paying for my own fees this time (out of my own money... not a loan) and I'm a bit older/wiser and I don't want to make the same mistakes I did first time round.

That being said I had an absolute ball at uni first time round!!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Last semester I attended everything bar two seminars (one because I didn't realise it was actually on, and another because I would have been late for some even I was attending and so prioritised that). This semester, however, I've attended everything so far and will continue to do so.

I also know someone who's attended every single lecture, seminar and master-class without fail.

To be fair, as another poster above said, I die a bit inside when I read some of these posts. I'd kind of expected better from TSR students. (Though maybe everyone's spending too much time on TSR to actually attend! :p: )
    Seriously, though, we're paying for these lectures and resources, and while lecture slides will be posted on Blackboard or wherever, the lecturer might explain something somewhat differently in the lecture which will help you understand the topic better. Additionally, in any case, it's a shocking attitude to have toward attendance and education.

ReputationRep:
    Last semester i missed 3 genetics and was late for plently of Biology of Organisms lectures and for human biology. So far I have not been late to any or missed any lectures.

I didnt bother to turn up to any tutorials either although they were optional.

This semester we have to attend all tutorials.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Missing a lecture due to illness or being snowed in isn't skipping at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 7, 2010
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.