Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Maths
    Further Maths

I have from now until August free, because I'm cool and took my final O Level exams in January. So I'm going to learn some of the A Level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths courses in this time. I was thinking about taking Psychology during my AS year but I don't think it'll make much difference on my application and it'll just be extra stress.

Is it difficult to get A's in these courses? I'm pretty good at Chemistry, so I have confidence in myself in regards to that. Physics is my weakest subject, but I heard that A Levels Physics is easier than O Level Physics. Biology is just a bunch of memorization. A lot of it. I've checked out a bit of it, and it's... Quite a lot.

Just to clarify, the new Edexcel papers are the ones with the weird subject codes, right? 6BI01? Salters-Nuffield? The 2009 papers had a different format than the previous one. Don't really like it... But that's not relevant anyway.

Just want to know, these are the ones that everyone else is taking, right? Cause we took GCE O Levels instead of GCSE.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Yeah i'm planning to go into med or biomed, whichever one will have me! Right now i'm on my AS year (started in Sep 2009) and i'm doing Biology, physics, maths and chemistry.

It is stress. Not THAAAAAT excessive but it is hard work and time consuming. You have to be prepared to put in a fair amount of effort - same for most subjects but these ARE i think the hardest subjects. I told my friends i was taking these up and they went 'OMG YOU CRAZY' - :cool: Genereally students who take medicine are regarded by universities beacuse of the level of difficulty - it's also very competetive - we're just getting smarter and smarter :mad:

I'll sum it up for you. A level is taking it up a level (ha) by having a much more vast syllabus with newer, in depth concepts.

If you're confident in Chemistry woowww, ace. I find it a bit tedious and a lot to take in ahh. Physics IS hard, there are a lot of new concepts to learn and understand WELL (you could get away with memorisation in GCSEs, not in Alevels). This is beacuse the physics MCQs are horrid, people say its the hardest. But dont worry, the concepts are pretty straight forward! Everyday life, so they just need to be taught well. So no GCSEs arent easier than Alevels....LOL? :confused:
    Bio's going good. It should be alright if you enjoy the subject.
    hope this helps! hahaaa wrote a bit tooo much

ReputationRep:
    Physics and Further Maths are unlikely to do much for your application. It is a lot of work for not very much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DeeDub)
    Physics and Further Maths are unlikely to do much for your application. It is a lot of work for not very much.
    Yeah the further is extra work. But wont the extra 1 subject (as an additional to 3) be better in terms of UCAS points? I mean dont they consider it..
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Further maths is not accepted by most med schools. I still did it though, as i wasn't 100% sure what i wanted to do and it was something i enjoyed.

(Original post by Glee)
    Yeah the further is extra work. But wont the extra 1 subject (as an additional to 3) be better in terms of UCAS points? I mean dont they consider it..
    Generally they say 'we don't accept courses with a lot of overlap eg: maths and further maths. Some do accept it though, such as oxford.

ReputationRep:
    If you're into Maths and Further Maths (or Physics) then sure, take them, but you don't have to. The vast majority of medical schools are fine with Biology, Chemistry and a third non-science A Level; some even prefer a non-science subject (e.g. UCL). So don't feel pressured to take all the sciences and Maths!

ReputationRep:
    Who calls them O Levels anymore? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    That's what I thought. Especially seeing as they only specify bio and chem. Perhaps it would be worth taking something a little lighter like an essay subject?
    Essay writing is a good skill to have. Shows you're well rounded. At the moment your choices are screaming 'one-trick pony' at me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    My nan does :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    My nan does :yep:
    haaa my dad does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Further maths is not accepted by most med schools. I still did it though, as i wasn't 100% sure what i wanted to do and it was something i enjoyed.

Generally they say 'we don't accept courses with a lot of overlap eg: maths and further maths. Some do accept it though, such as oxford.
    If only someone told me this BEFORE.
    hahaha oh well :rolleyes:
    but there has to be some recognition for it? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by i.am.lost)
    I think "O Levels" actually do still exist, although mostly seem to be taken abroad (I see a lot of people on TSR from Bangladesh with O Levels)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Glee)
    If only someone told me this BEFORE.
    hahaha oh well :rolleyes:
    but there has to be some recognition for it? :p:
    potentially... but certainly not as one of the three that count towards an offer.

Why? did you take FM? Some med schools still do so be sure to check if its important to you.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty standard, nothing special.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    potentially... but certainly not as one of the three that count towards an offer.

Why? did you take FM? Some med schools still do so be sure to check if its important to you.
    Umm no i didnt take up FM. I took up physics, bio, chem and maths. I thought that taking 4 subjects would get my UCAS tarrif score up a bit, it will i think...hopefullyyy
    So what does count in an offer for med? I guess it depends on the uni?

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing those exact subjects. It's going good so far, and it's not too much work. But Physics is just a ***** - but that's mainly because of the stupid exam board. :angry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glee)
    To be blunt, for competitive courses like medicine UCAS points are neither her nor there they want specific grades and for you to show them that it is genuinely something you see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    To be blunt, for competitive courses like medicine UCAS points are neither her nor there they want specific grades and for you to show them that it is genuinely something you see yourself doing for the rest of your life.
    Oh.
    great. super, why on earth did i take physics then. Well i do love biology, and that flows into chemistry. Guess i'm okay. Except for taking up physics OH MY GOD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BreakneckWalrus)
    Biology
    Chemistry
    Physics
    Maths
    Further Maths

I have from now until August free, because I'm cool and took my final O Level exams in January. So I'm going to learn some of the A Level Biology, Chemistry, and Maths courses in this time. I was thinking about taking Psychology during my AS year but I don't think it'll make much difference on my application and it'll just be extra stress.

Is it difficult to get A's in these courses? I'm pretty good at Chemistry, so I have confidence in myself in regards to that. Physics is my weakest subject, but I heard that A Levels Physics is easier than O Level Physics. Biology is just a bunch of memorization. A lot of it. I've checked out a bit of it, and it's... Quite a lot.

Just to clarify, the new Edexcel papers are the ones with the weird subject codes, right? 6BI01? Salters-Nuffield? The 2009 papers had a different format than the previous one. Don't really like it... But that's not relevant anyway.

Just want to know, these are the ones that everyone else is taking, right? Cause we took GCE O Levels instead of GCSE.

Thanks!
    If Physics is your weakest subject it might be an idea not to take it. Medical schools don't require it, and it might take time away from your other subjects. A language or a strong essay-subject, such as History or English Literature, may be better in its place. I've heard that a few universities specifically ask for a non-science subject anyway (UCL being the one that comes to mind).

You should definitely do Biology but be aware the specifications have changed so there is no longer a load of memorisation, but lots and lots of applied knowledge.

Further Maths isn't really necessary either. It backfired on me and a friend of mine actually, because we were asked for an A in Further Maths (by Oxford/Cambridge), while others not taking it were allowed an A in single Maths.

ReputationRep:
    But see, here's the thing. The reason I want to take more A Levels than normal is that my O Levels (yes, that's what we do. I live in Pakistan. We're the last batch of GCE O Levels. :P) are really few. I only take 6. Bio, Chem, Physics, Maths, English, Pure Maths. Not very impressive. So I thought maybe another A Level would kind of make up for my lack of O Levels.

I may forget Further Maths and go for Literature, then. I didn't take it now, but I may be able to pull it off... Hopefully. Should I do this instead?

By the way. I'm going to America for university, as that's where I'm from. Is it true that universities there don't really look at your GCSE/O Level results?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.