Turn on thread page Beta

Going into Medicine, are these good A Levels? watch

ReputationRep:
    They don't offer History here, I'm afraid. This is Pakistan. =P
    If what you guys say is true, then I guess I don't really need Further Maths, huh? I know about the Undergraduate requirement. That's what I'm talking about: undergraduate university, not actual medical school.

Generally, it's 4 years. But our guidance counselor said that my A Levels will count as one year of university credit, so I only have to stay 3 years. Add to that the fact that if I take summer classes, and take an extra class or two during normal term, I can accelerate things a bit and graduate in 2. My friend has done this exact thing.

There are actually 2 reasons I want to finish Undergrad quicker:
    The first is because when we moved to Pakistan, I was forced to repeat 9th grade, because of some stupid reason which they never even fully explained.

And the second is because tuition fees will be high. And my dad can't pay for it all, with the income he has right now. And I'm not a fan of loans, so yeah.

It's not about the stress, I guess. I mean, I have like 6 months free. I could learn C1 to C2 or C3 in that time. Our school does C1-C4, and M1 and M2 as a part of the regular maths course. No Statistics or Decision. And I think FP1, 2, and 3 as part of Further Maths, I'm not sure, I'd have to ask the teacher.

But it just seems that more classes would help your chances. I mean, okay. The guy is sitting there with two applications. Both got straight A's in their A Levels. But one candidate took 5 classes, while the other one took 4.
    Who is he going to pick? And assume their SAT scores are about equal too. I mean, every advantage counts, doesn't it? The one with 5 kinda proved that he can handle tough situations. Obviously we're not taking into account extracurricular activities. Though I am interning at a hospital, so that gives me some experience, I suppose?

I think I'm rambling now... Hah. Anyway. Yeah. I'm just a bit conflicted right now. Ugh. Anyway. Thanks for the help, guys. I will take Physics. It is an interesting class. But I may replace Further Maths with Literature, because my friend is taking it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BreakneckWalrus)
    But I may replace Further Maths with Literature, because my friend is taking it.
    That's not a very good reason. You don't need to do 5. I'm not really sure how much extra credit it would get you, but I certainly wouldn't have done 5 unless our school forced us to do AS General Studies.

If you really want to do 5, just do the subject you prefer.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.