Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year after taking my A Levels and will be going to university in September.

I'm currently with First Direct and am wondering whether students NEED a student bank account. I'm happy with First Direct and am hoping that I wont need an overdraft for my first year at least (have a few K saved from working at the moment).

Is it wise to stick with First Direct? They do not offer student accounts.

ReputationRep:
    I think they have a minimum deposit per month? Can you keep up with that?

ReputationRep:
    You must pay in £1500 or you'll be charged £10 per month, unless you have an additional product.

I have a savings account with them. They confirm that I will not be charged £10 per month.

ReputationRep:
    Do they offer an interest free overdraft for the duration of your course and beyond as Nat West do?

ReputationRep:
    I was with First Direct during my time at university.
    You don't need a student account, and you're obviously covered as far as charges go, so provided you won't need an overdraft, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I have a £250 interest free overdraft, and will hopefully have around 4k saved by the time I go to university, so I'm hoping to not be in an overdraft during my time as university. I'll also be working (very) part-time during university. I think I'll stick with first direct and maybe open a student account if I get desperate and need the overdraft.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.