Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm on a gap year after taking my A Levels and will be going to university in September.

I'm currently with First Direct and am wondering whether students NEED a student bank account. I'm happy with First Direct and am hoping that I wont need an overdraft for my first year at least (have a few K saved from working at the moment).

Is it wise to stick with First Direct? They do not offer student accounts.

ReputationRep:
    I think they have a minimum deposit per month? Can you keep up with that?

ReputationRep:
    You must pay in £1500 or you'll be charged £10 per month, unless you have an additional product.

I have a savings account with them. They confirm that I will not be charged £10 per month.

ReputationRep:
    Do they offer an interest free overdraft for the duration of your course and beyond as Nat West do?

ReputationRep:
    I was with First Direct during my time at university.
    You don't need a student account, and you're obviously covered as far as charges go, so provided you won't need an overdraft, you'll be fine.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks. I have a £250 interest free overdraft, and will hopefully have around 4k saved by the time I go to university, so I'm hoping to not be in an overdraft during my time as university. I'll also be working (very) part-time during university. I think I'll stick with first direct and maybe open a student account if I get desperate and need the overdraft.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.