Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy this forum and ban everyone on this thread

ReputationRep:
    me

ReputationRep:
    There has been around 3 half decent (if that) responses... the outlook is not good for GS, MS, JPM, etc... I thought there would be some thought provoking intelligent conversation to be had, but obviously not.

ReputationRep:
    barcap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha2010)
    Just curious to see what all your answers are for this question. Throughout the interview cycle, I have came across this numerous times - be serious and give detailed answers.

Disregard client asset liability duration match and client dependent risk preference (i.e. it is your money, not a clients)
    I would invest it in buying a super yacht, and travel the world in it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman19)
    barcap
    You could get barcap for 100m?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    And with the other 99.85 million?

ReputationRep:
    Always want to build my own personnal 20,000 seater, state of the art, Football stadium for my pub team to play in.

Rent in out the the reasonably big but in trouble football club, who's been looking for a stadium for a few years. Sell naming rights to the stadium, and stand names.

Invest rest in Apple

ReputationRep:
    40% in UK gilts of short-dated maturity and 10% on deposit. I think staying safer ... the best option at the minute. Not investing in anything too risky or too exotic.
    So why the hell would you put it in Gilts of any length maturity?

I'd invest in Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Structure a product whose payout is inversely proportional to the number of people on this thread that are still active posters. Through a SPV repackage these products as AAA notes and sell them to some American pension fund or retail bank.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    So why the hell would you put it in Gilts of any length maturity?
    why the hell do you ask so many questions? :holmes:

i'd buy Liverpool FC.

ReputationRep:
    Diversification? You need a lot more assets within your portfolio for it to be efficient.
    Well obviously i'm being facetious. You think i'd put 100mill into one huge gamble that possibly wouldn't come off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhereIsMyMind)
    I'd start off by clearing any debts of close relatives and friends, I'd then put a few million away for retirement, a few million for the next couple of years. Whatever is left, I'd give to my two nominated charities.
    Pretty sound plan, no one needs more than that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    why the hell do you ask so many questions? :holmes:
    :rofl:

probably because he works in the Snivel Service, probably in some 'spy on students' quango :woo:

ReputationRep:
    By far one of the most retarded threads I have ever seen on here. I don't know anything about investment, which is why I read this......

I guess the idea would be to invest in those which have had long term success - Mircosoft, Apple, etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would long USD and short EUR
    Short some EM government bonds
    Long GSK and long some ultra short basic materials ETFs

I guess the UK/US are much more likely to hike rates in the next six months than ECB.
    GSK have a nice pipeline, had underperformed the last couple of years and are actively entering the asian markets; also Pfizer is facing a revenue cliff next year
    I am bearish on stocks... low volumes on rising markets and high volume in declines, 5.7 increase in US GDP and markets falling...that just doesnt sound good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donnie-Brasco)
    I would long USD and short EUR
    Short some EM government bonds
    Long GSK and long some ultra short basic materials ETFs

I guess the UK/US are much more likely to hike rates in the next six months than ECB.
    GSK have a nice pipeline, had underperformed the last couple of years and are actively entering the asian markets; also Pfizer is facing a revenue cliff next year
    I am bearish on stocks... low volumes on rising markets and high volume in declines, 5.7 increase in US GDP and markets falling...that just doesnt sound good.
    Thank you, for a decent and serious reply!

Why would you short EM govt. bonds?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    You could get barcap for 100m?
    Did you even read the thread title?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, for a decent and serious reply!

Why would you short EM govt. bonds?
    I think he expects a rise in interest rates/reserve requirements (as China is doing) to avoid inflation...

PS: my products are getting more and more profitable...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.