Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'd use a nice chunk of it to buy junior oil producers and E&P firms. Along the lines of Heritage, Tullow, Afren, Dragon, Ithaca, Serica...etc.

Some of these firms already have good P2 reserves while the others are likely to prove reserves in the future. Major oil company is being forced to consider more marginal fields and takeovers and these companies will become prime targets.

Also, investment into basic materials and minerals in Africa is a decent bet as still much unexplored and large interest from China as they need to have resources available for future growth.

ReputationRep:
    The lack of serious responses is what sickens me about IB&C. Can't believe people can make a joke out of a thread as serious as this one.

Anyway, I'd invest in
    - 2 chicks at the same time (perhaps invest in some inflation-linked bonds so I can still afford them in the future)
    - bout tree fiddy ounces of coke
    - over 9000 bottles of whisky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by superman19)
    Did you even read the thread title?
    So pray tell me how you can invest in barcap without investing in the barclays retail banking...?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prince of Zamunda)
    The lack of serious responses is what sickens me about IB&C. Can't believe people can make a joke out of a thread as serious as this one.

Anyway, I'd invest in
    - 2 chicks at the same time (perhaps invest in some inflation-linked bonds so I can still afford them in the future)
    - bout tree fiddy ounces of coke
    - over 9000 bottles of whisky
    Join me in buying some distilleries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neville 'Facking' Bartos)
    :rofl:

probably because he works in the Snivel Service, probably in some 'spy on students' quango :woo:
    :P its not that I'm a student and TSR is sodding funny then...

ReputationRep:
    In your mum, In your mum, In your mum, I'd stick this investment in your mum, Empty the investment in your mum and your dad

ReputationRep:
    I'd buy 50 cent and get him to pole dance for my mum.

ReputationRep:
    If the company were in good shape, could it be a good idea to say you would hedge some of the money but invest most of it in the company you're applying to? You could then go on to say why they are in a good position, and why you think they will perform well in the future, demonstrating your knowledge & understanding of the company.

EDIT: Of course you would need to know a lot about the company in order to give this answer to a good standard

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lust of a Gardener)
    I wouldn't invest in anything, far too risky.

I would just put in my bank account and live off the interest.
    "I would just put in my bank account and live off the interest."

EpicFail my friend.

I'd invest it in /b/, Anonymous and all those 1337 h4x0rs, and finally have those basement dwellers do something that would go down in the history of lulz for eternity. And when the party van arrives, an heroes will be born.

ReputationRep:
    Buy Banbury United and get them to the heady heights of League One.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Banburyhammer)
    Buy Banbury United and get them to the heady heights of League One.
    lolz get to conference south first

ReputationRep:
    I'd set aside a few hundred thousands to dabble in the AIM markets and plop the rest in some of the giants brought down by the recession. Start with housing, Wimpey/Barrats etc and probably move onto the banks when they stabilise.

ReputationRep:
    :facepalm2: at this thread. Do you guys actually think you're funny with your "your mum"-type replies? ******* primary school humour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gangst)
    I'd use a nice chunk of it to buy junior oil producers and E&P firms. Along the lines of Heritage, Tullow, Afren, Dragon, Ithaca, Serica...etc.

Some of these firms already have good P2 reserves while the others are likely to prove reserves in the future. Major oil company is being forced to consider more marginal fields and takeovers and these companies will become prime targets.

Also, investment into basic materials and minerals in Africa is a decent bet as still much unexplored and large interest from China as they need to have resources available for future growth.
    Thanks for an intelligent answer, they are few and far between!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Awesome-o)
    100 million lottery tickets, on a Wednesday night draw. Guaranteed to win, and would get the vast majority of the jackpot should other people match 6 too.

and if you win you would be lucky to get half your money back after what the lottery fund takes and it wouldn't even be a sure win

id start my own business and just have fun

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha2010)
    Thanks for an intelligent answer, they are few and far between!
    sorry, why buy gilts?

Are you expecting QE to be extended?

ReputationRep:
    No the question is related to financial markets and private equity. Thus, take out all of the entrepreneurial startups etc - and go into the mindset that you are a fund manager for a hedge fund with $100MM capital that invests within equities, commodities, credit, OTC, etc etc. No personal expenditure such as buying a yacht etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    sorry, why buy gilts?

Are you expecting QE to be extended?
    I said to buy short term gilts as if you buy long-term gilts now - i.e. with more than ten years to maturity, where the best interest rate levels are - you might have to hold them for the full term just to get your capital back. Also not subject to CGT etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Flav)
    and if you win you would be lucky to get half your money back after what the lottery fund takes and it wouldn't even be a sure win

id start my own business and just have fun
    And are lottery tickets not around £2.00 nowadays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alpha2010)
    I said to buy short term gilts as if you buy long-term gilts now - i.e. with more than ten years to maturity, where the best interest rate levels are - you might have to hold them for the full term just to get your capital back. Also not subject to CGT etc.
    Surely the same for short dated ones. If QE isn't extended at the next MPC meeting in under a weeks time then surely they will lose value?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.